Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Not without trading out future 2nd ourselves which seems dumb.
Might need to be a multi club trade if both clubs have multiple irons in the fire. Think hawks have a bit more going on than just Barrass and need to also unlock some things.

Future 2nd is fine. If you plan on finishing top 4 then pick 35 isnt something id fight tooth and nail to keep exactly.

I dont really see the point in talking to a contracted player if you think youd get an even or fair deal in a trade. Best to just flat out ignoore contracted footballers altogether if thats the aim of the club
It’s fine for you not for me and hopefully not the club. I think top 4 is far from a lock next year.

By not offering him the promised improved deal the Eagles are essentially telling him to move on. If it hasn’t happened by trade week and he requests a trade then he’s not going back there. As long as they get offered something fair, they’ll take it. I personally think pick 10 is fair. But they’ll push for as much as they can get, whilst the Hawks will know they don’t have to offer ridiculous overs because of the situation. It’ll probably end up a convoluted trade either way though, as is AFL tradition.

I know nothing about whether Barrass or Battle are going to stay or go, but personally, I would prefer the hawks got Barrass if only one was to come. Battle comes free wrt trades, but paying large overs to a decent player has historically ended up in player payment inflation for the clubs that do it. Paying $900k/5 years for a decent player sets a difficult precedent.

Lol of course he will. If a suitable trade can't be worked out you think he's just going to retire?

No, I’m saying a suitable trade will be worked out because the Eagles don’t have the leverage to demand overs in this situation and hold their ground. Because he won’t be going back there.

No, I’m saying a suitable trade will be worked out because the Eagles don’t have the leverage to demand overs in this situation and hold their ground. Because he won’t be going back there.
Players have gone back to their clubs after a failed trade request. Why would Barrass be different?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By not offering him the promised improved deal the Eagles are essentially telling him to move on. If it hasn’t happened by trade week and he requests a trade then he’s not going back there. As long as they get offered something fair, they’ll take it. I personally think pick 10 is fair. But they’ll push for as much as they can get, whilst the Hawks will know they don’t have to offer ridiculous overs because of the situation. It’ll probably end up a convoluted trade either way though, as is AFL tradition.
100%, there's nuances to "contracted" these days. Contracted on players a club has basically agreed to let go already (Houston, Barrass, Lukosious?) because they actually want the capital just means you dont get stiffed, not get crazy overs. Out of contract you'd be pretty lucky to get a top 10 for a 29 year old Barrass IMO. In contract, you get the top 10 and a little bit of change probably.

Barrass is getting moved, it will just be who blinks on the value of the change. WC arent turning away the top 10 pick and Hawks arent missing on a player they really want. Both clubs will win from it.

Players have gone back to their clubs after a failed trade request. Why would Barrass be different?

It’s not a typical player wanting out situation because of the background. The Eagles won’t be holding him to 3 years of a deal they promised they’d renegotiate. It’d be untenable. Either the Eagles want to keep him and he gets the new deal he was promised, or they don’t and he doesn’t and he requests a trade and he goes. One or the other happens here.

I’m sure he would do it, they all would. He may not be happy to have his promised increase held back and then they refuse to trade him because ‘they value him so highly’ though

Hawks vs Carlton this weekend will give everyone a good idea of Barrass’s worth one way or the other. Worth keeping an eye on inside 50s to scores conversion with two elite KPFs in a finals type game. Only thing we might not see is the impact Weddle and Sicily can have if released to play further up the ground.

Hawks vs Carlton this weekend will give everyone a good idea of Barrass’s worth one way or the other. Worth keeping an eye on inside 50s to scores conversion with two elite KPFs in a finals type game. Only thing we might not see is the impact Weddle and Sicily can have if released to play further up the ground.
Curnow is in doubt so mightn't be as much of a concern as usual.

We'll trade for him regardless mate. It's as good as done. These 2 clubs don't muck around. I'd assume the deal is already ticked off in principle and gets done quickly.

We'll trade for him regardless mate. It's as good as done. These 2 clubs don't muck around. I'd assume the deal is already ticked off in principle and gets done quickly.
I’m confident a trade is going to happen between two good clubs with your 1R the centrepiece, more so for the average punter this game may demonstrate why Barrass is/is not worth more than the single pick.

I’m confident a trade is going to happen between two good clubs with your 1R the centrepiece, more so for the average punter this game may demonstrate why Barrass is/is not worth more than the single pick.
I don't agree, i think all Hawk fans acknowledge we need a Key defender. The issue is whether multiple assets for a 29 year old with back injury history is the right time to pull the trigger when we are still just starting to climb up the ladder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back