Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't agree, i think all Hawk fans acknowledge we need a Key defender. The issue is whether multiple assets for a 29 year old with back injury history is the right time to pull the trigger when we are still just starting to climb up the ladder.
That’s a fair comment but I didn’t say anything about it being the right time for the Hawks to invest in a 29yo KPD.

That’s a fair comment but I didn’t say anything about it being the right time for the Hawks to invest in a 29yo KPD.
But you did say this game could show his worth to us, my point is entirely his worth isn't entirely determined by whether we need a key defender or not.

But you did say this game could show his worth to us, my point is entirely his worth isn't entirely determined by whether we need a key defender or not.
I agree with you. But IF you decide to pursue Barrass, games like this will affect his perceived worth to the club.

It’s not a typical player wanting out situation because of the background. The Eagles won’t be holding him to 3 years of a deal they promised they’d renegotiate. It’d be untenable. Either the Eagles want to keep him and he gets the new deal he was promised, or they don’t and he doesn’t and he requests a trade and he goes. One or the other happens here.
Happens all the time. Papley a great example. Barass like Papley is professional and not a giant sook. If he isn’t traded he will move on and play for his team . He would respect his teammates too much to phone it in and chuck a tantrum

Eagles would know this too which is why we would not be too upset if he stays.

Happens all the time. Papley a great example. Barass like Papley is professional and not a giant sook. If he isn’t traded he will move on and play for his team . He would respect his teammates too much to phone it in and chuck a tantrum

Eagles would know this too which is why we would not be too upset if he stays.

Except it wouldn’t be a typical trade request, like Papley. There was no imperative there for the Swans to do anything one way or the other.

I think you are inventing a scenario in your head as to how they are different? Why do they differ?

Are you actually a goldfish? Did you not read the article Barrass’ camp leaked? He’s pissed at the Eagles because they promised to renegotiate his deal to get him to reject Sydney’s offer then reneged on the promise the following year, which Barrass believes is because they’re now happy to trade him. Where did any of that happen with Papley? You’ve genuinely got rocks in your head if you think they’re the same.

Are you actually a goldfish? Did you not read the article Barrass’ camp leaked? He’s pissed at the Eagles because they promised to renegotiate his deal to get him to reject another club’s offer then reneged on the promise the following year, which Barrass believes is because they’re now happy to trade him. Where did any of that happen with Papley? You’ve genuinely got rocks in your head if you think they’re the same.
I think you got a bit of memory loss. Read back on the Papley situation

I think you got a bit of memory loss. Read back on the Papley situation
Papley's situation was he had a trigger for a extension and he expressed his intentions he wanted to return to Victoria. Swans were in the market for Daniher but Essendon didn't want to deal. There was a stalemate between the 3 clubs. Well really I think Swans made a last ditch attempt to do a trade but Dodoro likely just valued Daniher way too high. Swans decided not to trade Papley because of lack of forwards they had and that was it. Swans were in different circumstances than Eagles.

Barass is more unique for his situation. It's probably similar to English's situation was Agent is looking for a better deal for their playing and is shopping around Dogs & Hawks in this way around. Offering an extra 2 years instead of eagles offering 1. Unlike English though 1 is already in contract so it's very difficult. He has yet to decide but first preference is eagles on the new deal. Eagles intentions are not clear though. They're looking at Baker and a quick rebuild. If Barrass gets the picks that can achieve that I think they'll trade him. It's very clear though that that in that scenario that first preference is hawks and their first round pick at least. Hawks 1st and F1 would be the asking price. Hawks 1st and F2 is the median.

Barass is more unique for his situation. It's probably similar to English's situation was Agent is looking for a better deal for their playing and is shopping around Dogs & Hawks in this way around. Offering an extra 2 years instead of eagles offering 1. Unlike English though 1 is already in contract so it's very difficult. He has yet to decide but first preference is eagles on the new deal. Eagles intentions are not clear though. They're looking at Baker and a quick rebuild. If Barrass gets the picks that can achieve that I think they'll trade him. It's very clear though that that in that scenario that first preference is hawks and their first round pick at least. Hawks 1st and F1 would be the asking price. Hawks 1st and F2 is the median.
I wouldnt add Baker into any considerations for Barrass.
If we get pick 10ish we wont get anything with it thatd be more suitable for Baker. 23 is the pick we have for him, we arent getting 10 and pick 20 for Barrass, mainly because Hawks dont have a pick around there.

I wouldnt add Baker into any considerations for Barrass.
If we get pick 10ish we wont get anything with it thatd be more suitable for Baker. 23 is the pick we have for him, we arent getting 10 and pick 20 for Barrass, mainly because Hawks dont have a pick around there.
It'll most likely be a player invovled. I'm going with a surprise Jai Serong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope not Serong. If a player then id be chasing Ward, who isnt best 23 at the moment anyway
He’s not but we aren’t going to be looking to move on a 20 year old who has shown to be too good for VFL footy but just hasn’t had a chance to establish himself in his main position at AFL level.

He’s not but we aren’t going to be looking to move on a 20 year old who has shown to be too good for VFL footy but just hasn’t had a chance to establish himself in his main position at AFL level.
You dont have many other players who are noticeably better than a F2 who you might be willing to part with.

If Ward was willing at all to move to WA for more opportunity id be telling the Hawks their 1st pick + Ward is the starting price.

Whats Ward worth now, considering hes not best 22? Pick 18/19ish maybe?

Id even throw in a F4

You dont have many other players who are noticeably better than a F2 who you might be willing to part with.

If Ward was willing at all to move to WA for more opportunity id be telling the Hawks their 1st pick + Ward is the starting price.

Id even throw in a F4
Ward is a contracted and required player, so by the logic in this thread you would have to pay overs to get him. 9/10 and Ward is way overs for 29 year old Barrass

Id even throw in a F4

There’s no chance Ward would be included. He’s a pick 7, who has already played 40 games in his first 3 seasons, has looked like he will be very good eventually.

Hawks are trying to make finals and Ward is a victim of the team playing too well right now to get a gig.

He’s averaging nearly 30 touches most games in the VFL and almost certainly will be replacing Worpel or Nash (possibly leaving) going into next year in the Hawks midfield.

There’s no chance he’d be thrown in as steak knives.

There’s no chance Ward would be included. He’s a pick 7, who has already played 40 games in his first 3 seasons, has looked like he will be very good eventually.

Hawks are trying to make finals and Ward is a victim of the team playing too well right now to get a gig.

He’s averaging nearly 30 touches most games in the VFL and almost certainly will be replacing Worpel or Nash (possibly leaving) going into next year in the Hawks midfield.

Being a pick 7 is irrelevant, he’s a Hawthorn player and whether he was pick 7 or 70 is immaterial, his value is based on his output and contribution to the club. I think it’s going to be pretty hard for us to convince any of your good (sorry DGB) young players to head over. The possible exception being be Reeves if he’s given an assurance of being the #1 ruck.

I’m delighted to tell you that Nash signed a long term extension about a week and a half ago. Don’t think you guys are going to have a problem with player retention anytime soon. Pretty goosed spot when guys like Ward and MacKenzie can’t get a game.

Being a pick 7 is irrelevant, he’s a Hawthorn player and whether he was pick 7 or 70 is immaterial, his value is based on his output and contribution to the club. I think it’s going to be pretty hard for us to convince any of your good (sorry DGB) young players to head over. The possible exception being be Reeves if he’s given an assurance of being the #1 ruck.

I’m delighted to tell you that Nash signed a long term extension about a week and a half ago. Don’t think you guys are going to have a problem with player retention anytime soon. Pretty goosed spot when guys like Ward and MacKenzie can’t get a game.
MacKenzie got picked this week.

Will be our first and a shuffle of picks.

Papley's situation was he had a trigger for a extension and he expressed his intentions he wanted to return to Victoria. Swans were in the market for Daniher but Essendon didn't want to deal. There was a stalemate between the 3 clubs. Well really I think Swans made a last ditch attempt to do a trade but Dodoro likely just valued Daniher way too high. Swans decided not to trade Papley because of lack of forwards they had and that was it. Swans were in different circumstances than Eagles.
Papley wanted more money, Sydney wanted to hold him to his extension. He asked for a trade to Carlton who had offered him more money. Carlton didnt put up a good enough trade offer. Papley stayed and signed a new deal

Its literally the exact same circumstance. Even share the same first name. Only difference in the whole situation is each has a different surname. Thats it.

MacKenzie got picked this week.

Will be our first and a shuffle of picks.
You dont have enough picks to shuffle with and neither do we unless we chucking future draft picks around which feels quite likely . I suspect you probably find a way to get a pick in the 30s and give that to us and that would be it

Best I could think of would be

Pick 10 + 41 to Eagles
Future 3rd to Richmond
Tom Bararass to Hawks

Hawks lose 10 + future 3rd. For Eagles i feel pick 41 may be enough because we need a pick in this range to match any Malaki Champion bid whose ending the year strong and id expect gets bid on at pick 30 type range. We need points to match only so 39 would work that way. A trade of 10 + Champion is good for us considering I think Champion is basically a 2nd rounder anyway

Last edited:

Id even throw in a F4
Ward AND a first round pick?

Come on man. Barrass is a gun but he is 29. Ward is 20.

I understand we all over rate our own players but Ward is better than this.

Id even throw in a F4
Man, I reckon you might need to reign in those expectations a tad before you turn into The Gun

I dont care, thats where id start

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back