Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

The kicker is that he's contracted for another 3 seasons. If the Eagles have any spine at all, they will play hardball and make you pay overs. Under Don Pyke, I'd like to think the days of us buckling at the trade table are behind us.

He might be only worth a 1st and some steak knives... but being contracted for another 3 years puts that value up significantly.
You're pushing him out mate.

You're pushing him out mate.
We're pushing him out because we want picks, not because we no longer want him.

The arrow has to go backwards before it gets shot forwards.

The Eagles will ask for your 1st and a future 1st. You'll offer us a 1st and a 3rd, we'll meet in the middle for a 1st and a 2nd I reckon.

The kicker is that he's contracted for another 3 seasons. If the Eagles have any spine at all, they will play hardball and make you pay overs. Under Don Pyke, I'd like to think the days of us buckling at the trade table are behind us.

He might be only worth a 1st and some steak knives... but being contracted for another 3 years puts that value up significantly.
This is Big footy talk really. They have the final say obviously on whether he moves or not but at the end of the day they have a decision to make. Do they force a player who wants to leave to stay or do they try and make a deal in the best interests of everyone involved.

The Eagles will ask for your 1st and a future 1st. You'll offer us a 1st and a 3rd, we'll meet in the middle for a 1st and a 2nd I reckon.
Yes but when you push a player out for picks it makes it hard to then say 'oh fine we will just keep him'.

It is a balancing act the Hawks had to deal with over the past handful of years and it can be tough.

Do they force a player who wants to leave to stay or do they try and make a deal in the best interests of everyone involved.
Undoubtedly the deal will get done, an unhappy Barrass does us no favours.

I'm just hoping that under new leadership, we won't keep letting teams bend us over at the trade table. The way we folded for Kelly and Rioli was pathetic.

For the first time in a while, we're the one's holding the cards. I'm not suggesting we go full Tim Kelly trade and ask you to sell the farm, but at least make sure we get adequately compensated for losing a key structural player in the prime of his career.

Undoubtedly the deal will get done, an unhappy Barrass does us no favours.

I'm just hoping that under new leadership, we won't keep letting teams bend us over at the trade table. The way we folded for Kelly and Rioli was pathetic.

For the first time in a while, we're the one's holding the cards. I'm not suggesting we go full Tim Kelly trade and ask you to sell the farm, but at least make sure we get adequately compensated for losing a key structural player in the prime of his career.
Yeah agree, i think am coming more around to the trade with our push in to finals. I think if our first ends up in that 12/13 range i am more okay with the added second (but no more). Feel like it should be a relatively easy trade to sort out if both clubs are being reasonable.

This is Big footy talk really. They have the final say obviously on whether he moves or not but at the end of the day they have a decision to make. Do they force a player who wants to leave to stay or do they try and make a deal in the best interests of everyone involved.
Does he want to leave if given what he wants $ and years? Probably not from what is being said. That ship might of sailed but I doubt it.

It will be a case of if the Hawks offer isn’t suitable to what the Eagles think is fair, TB will get his renewed contract imo.

Hawks have shown their hand with a contract offer, TB has reportedly shown his by agreeing but the Eagles hold the cards and are playing the situation correctly.

The deal will get done though.

Does he want to leave if given what he wants $ and years? Probably not from what is being said. That ship might of sailed but I doubt it.

It will be a case of if the Hawks offer isn’t suitable to what the Eagles think is fair, TB will get his renewed contract imo.

Hawks have shown their hand with a contract offer, TB has reportedly shown his by agreeing but the Eagles hold the cards and are playing the situation correctly.

The deal will get done though.
We can't know that but if they were willing to pay him and wanted to keep him there would be no trade to be discussed.

I do not disagree with the bolded but again i still think it isn't as simple as he is contracted so they will just keep him. I truly believe West Coast know this is in the best interest of the Eagles as well. Him moving at a reasonable price helps all parties, no reason that shouldn't be a desired result.

We can't know that but if they were willing to pay him and wanted to keep him there would be no trade to be discussed.

I do not disagree with the bolded but again i still think it isn't as simple as he is contracted so they will just keep him. I truly believe West Coast know this is in the best interest of the Eagles as well. Him moving at a reasonable price helps all parties, no reason that shouldn't be a desired result.
Haha, disagree it’s on the best interest to just move him so you do it. You get his worth at a minimum. The worth the Hawks put on him and the Eagles might be some distance.

Because you see what you can get for first? Might be different thoughts on how to play the situation within the Eagles? They have no rush to sign him? If he was OOC it’s a total different scenario.

Why would they sign him on longer than his current 3 years, if they think they can get overs? When this all started the teams looked like a top 10 pick, now it might be a pick in the 20s?

Vic media love playing the if you go for the contracted player and he commits to you, it’s up to you to get that trade done. Who knows what that is? No one because who knows where this Hawks run will finish.

I think the trade gets done but that small percentage chance it doesn’t, the Eagles won’t take what they think is unders. He will stay or manager will step in and try and facilitate. If that doesn’t work, Eagles will give him the contract he deserves.

Because you see what you can get for first? Might be different thoughts on how to play the situation within the Eagles? They have no rush to sign him? If he was OOC it’s a total different scenario.

Why would they sign him on longer than his current 3 years, if they think they can get overs? When this all started the teams looked like a top 10 pick, now it might be a pick in the 20s?

Vic media love playing the if you go for the contracted player and he commits to you, it’s up to you to get that trade done. Who knows what that is? No one because who knows where this Hawks run will finish.

I think the trade gets done but that small percentage chance it doesn’t, the Eagles won’t take what they think is unders. He will stay or manager will step in and try and facilitate. If that doesn’t work, Eagles will give him the contract he deserves.
Sure but players have egos and feelings, with how this has played out i would be very surprised if he was happy to return.

Eagles need picks, Barrass wants to leave and get his contract, Hawks was a KPD. Take out all the dick swinging and this should be a pretty simple on. The first will be the core of the trade and something extra will be thrown in probably now that the Hawks pick seems like it will be in the teens.

Your pushing him out cause he’s 29 years old and they now he won’t be there when you are competing again. They get something decent now for him or miss the boat and have him still playing for you for another 3 years, 3 years of development you could have put into a talented youngster.

Also putting talent around Reid, talent that he can see pushing him and the team to success might help keep him there. He will know Barrass and others won’t be there when this happens and if you if you try and drive to hard a bargain and the Hawks simply walk away, what message does that send to him?

Haha, disagree it’s on the best interest to just move him so you do it. You get his worth at a minimum. The worth the Hawks put on him and the Eagles might be some distance.

See this sentence, if this is true then that’s how you know he’s being pushed out! You promised him a pay rise then reneged, now your trying to push him out and if you don’t get overs you’ll simply give him what was promised!! 🤣🤣🤣

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sure but players have egos and feelings, with how this has played out i would be very surprised if he was happy to return.

Eagles need picks, Barrass wants to leave and get his contract, Hawks was a KPD. Take out all the dick swinging and this should be a pretty simple on. The first will be the core of the trade and something extra will be thrown in probably now that the Hawks pick seems like it will be in the teens.
Agreed but can’t see him just retiring ‘if he’s not happy to return’, if he is already chasing extra years and dollars.

TB will know the situation and more importantly his manager. They help get a lot of deals done.

Hawks know the situation by chasing a contracted player and putting ‘5 years’ in front of him.

Eagles know they helped create this situation deliberately or not but there will need to be an outcome in 2 months. New contract or traded.

Now it’s just finding the right mix, which we won’t know until September some time.

Last edited:
See this sentence, if this is true then that’s how you know he’s being pushed out! You promised him a pay rise then reneged, now you’re trying to push him out and if you don’t get overs you’ll simply give him what was promised!! 🤣🤣🤣
Different management ‘promised’ him those reported things.

It’s not pushed out if you are willing to pay him if you don’t get the value you want? Pushed out is if you are doing the deal no matter what? Why wouldn’t they listen to offers?

Why not just pay him what was promised? Isn’t his 1st priority to stay with the Eagles?
Because the value may be better for the Eagles for him to leave?

They have no reason to sign him now before listening to offers and see what the value is?

It was a different group that ‘promised’ him.

I imagine this will be rather quick.

First pick straight swap will do it. Maybe a DGB or a swap of late picks as steak knives.

The idea of a future first or a future second being thrown in (without something equitable coming back) is a fantasy.

Because the value may be better for the Eagles for him to leave?

They have no reason to sign him now before listening to offers and see what the value is?

It was a different group that ‘promised’ him.
Different group that promised him but current group will pay what was promised at a last resort? Hmmm Yeah nah no being pushed out the door in that! 🤣

And that would be fine. I think at the respective stages of their careers an athletic Sam Frost able to play on bigs and smalls offers significantly more than a geriatric Barrass.

The eagles should try and deal with Sam Power, a notorious tight arse at the trade table and see what you get.
LOL

Sam Frost shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as TB.

First pick straight swap will do it. Maybe a DGB or a swap of late picks as steak knives.

The idea of a future first or a future second being thrown in (without something equitable coming back) is a fantasy.
A lot will depend on what Hawthorns first pick will be I think.

Seems to be getting higher by the week.

Depends, if you make a prelim or something, that pick 15 or so usually ends up dropping to around 20. Surely West Coast wouldnt be happy with that.

Youre having a laugh no? He’s one of the best backmen in the league in his prime with 3 years to run on his contract. With the Hawks cracking the 8 this week that pick is now outside 10.

It’s both first rounders easily, especially if you climb a couple more spots (likely with your fixture). You cant be going after a contracted top 5 defender and not having to pay up for him.

~12 and F12 is more than fair for both sides.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back