Tom Lee

Remove this Banner Ad

JuddyisGod posted the following in the Matt Burgan thread on the Phantom Draft board:

I've been staggered that there has been no mention of him (Tom Lee) at all on here though he has been playing primarily School football for Scotch. A great all-round footballer and a terrific athlete. Holds the high jump record at Scotch College and is a very handy basketballer. Still skinny but also still growing. Performed well at state screening, has a great motor, can do some special things with the ball and provides a great target up forward. Played Key Position and ruck for Scotch and Claremont.

And probably the best news is he's from Dowerin, yep just like Buddy. He Kicked 11 goals in his one appearance for them earlier this year.

I watched him play a few games for Claremont recently this year and was blown away, a terrific pair of hands, but he's tall with good skills and has the capacity to play as a midfielder so is very hard to match up on - I was asking people around me who he was but he must get hidden a bit at Scotch because they were as surprised as me and didn't know a lot about him as he'd only played one or two games for them.

He kicked 6 or 7 from memory rotating through the ruck.

I get the impression that one or two clubs might know what this kid is capable of but don't want to give away too much - very strange for him to only get a state screening berth (where i think 4 clubs have to nominate you) and then to pop up at 32 in Burgo's draft.

Always love to see a club uncover a smoky :thumbsu: Although i was hoping Freo might get him as a late/rookie pick.

found a pic on the Claremont site

n894485690_4707962_4651-1.jpg

Here is the Video Highlights:

[YOUTUBE]ls1_T8ecjaY[/YOUTUBE]

luv the pic :)
good, tall, strong confident player
prefer him to stay in west aust but will be great for which club picks him

go tom go!!!!!!!!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Story on the afl website...pretty obvious the author is a bigfooty reader haha

http://www.afc.com.au/tabid/4417/Default.aspx?newsid=70458

HE HAILS from the same hometown as Buddy Franklin and Adelaide fans will be hoping Tom Lee can become a similar force up forward in the AFL in years to come.

Lee, originally from Dowerin in Western Australia, was snapped up with the Crows' fourth pick (60 overall) in Saturday’s NAB AFL Draft.

The 191cm, 86kg athlete kicked four goals with his first four kicks in a game against Perth in the WAFL last season, and bagged a massive 11 in his solitary outing with Dowerin.

“People might be expecting me to kick 100 goals and win a premiership in a couple of years. That’s a bit of pressure, but it’s all right,” Lee said of comparisons with his hometown's superstar.

“I went to school with him [Franklin] for a couple of years .. He’s a bit older than me and I was just a little kid back then, so I didn’t have a real lot to do with him unfortunately.”

Lee impressed at the WA state screening session, but was still considered to be a ‘smoky’ in the draft talent pool.

“I’d spoken to Adelaide twice, so I knew they had some interest, but I wasn’t sure whether they were going to draft me,” Lee said.

“The Phantom Draft put me at a pretty high pick and that instilled a bit of confidence, but you never know. Things could go the other way if a club’s first priority doesn’t get picked up as expected, so I was kind of half-half about it.

“I was just shocked when the Crows called my name and I’m still just trying to soak it all in.

“It will definitely hit me later in the week when I’m actually in Adelaide. I’m just shocked mostly.”

Lee will arrive in Adelaide on Sunday night before returning to WA for a school function at Scotch College.

The skinny 17-year-old, who was one of four key-position players picked up by the Crows on Saturday, said he had no problem with moving across the Nullarbor and was hopeful of forcing his way into the Adelaide attack.

“I can ruck and also play forward or back, but mostly I play as a forward,” he said.

“At AFL level I think I’m about 10 centimetres too short to be ruckman, so a ‘versatile ruckman’ we’ll call it.”

Get your facts straight! He actually appeared twice for Dowerin, where he kicked 6 in the first game and 5 in the 2nd. But my monster right foot still took out the leading goalkicker.....

Hahahaha, that mistake has become pretty much commonly accepted "knowledge" then :D Even today somebody mentioned to me about Lee having kicked 11 goals in his junior years, I didn't know it was wrong!

In any event, Lee has looked pretty good at Crows training, I have high hopes for him! Still a year away you'd imagine but has fit in with the group pretty well and seems to have something.

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom Lee

Remove this Banner Ad

Back