Recommitted Tom Papley [wanted to return to Victoria, nominated Carlton - didn't get there]

Remove this Banner Ad

i dont think papley is worth heaps in all honesty as much as i like having him

The contract length inflates the value

will be interesting if this happens at all , time will tell

i wouldnt want to be throwing big $ at him

This may be generally true, but not so for Carlton.
The CFC are desperate for someone remotely close to Papley's ability, playing forward.

Teague wants his small forwards and all being well shall get them and if Sydney get a great deal for Papley, then that's fine also.

That is such an important point. Statistically Carlton is not likely to get as good a player as Papley on draft night.

I mean

2009 - Andrew Moore
2010 - Dion Prestia
2011 - Adam Tomlinson
2012 - Nick Vlastuin
2013 - Christian Salem
2014 - Darcy Moore
2015 - Sam Weideman
2016 - Will Brodie
2017 - Aaron Naughton
2018 - Chayce Jones

how many players there would you genuinely prefer to have on your list than Papley? Naughton would be a preference, and maybe three others who are in the 50/50 category (Weideman, Prestia and Moore) but everyone else is not a chance.

Better than Papley
10% - Naughton

50/50 with Papley
30% - Weideman, D.Moore, Prestia

Worse than Papley
60% - Jones, Brodie, Salem, Vlastuin, Tomlinson, A.Moore

So really with pick 9 you have a 10% chance of getting someone better than Papley.
Too early to tell with Jones and Brodie.

Vlastin is as good as any hbf in the league and could easily been AA - is a star. Will easily have a been career than Papley.

There is a better than 50% chance of getting a player better than Papley at 9. This is a down draft year though.

Too early to tell with Jones and Brodie.

Vlastin is as good as any hbf in the league and could easily been AA - is a star. Will easily have a been career than Papley.

There is a better than 50% chance of getting a player better than Papley at 9. This is a down draft year though.

And you get five more years of then draftee.

Or assuming players play good footy from 20-30, you get 11 years out of the draftee and 8 out of papley.

So if sydney said it’s pick 9, nothing coming back, would Carlton pay that?
Think most supporters would live with it. SOS doesn't do too many straightforward deals though - he's usually looking for some leverage on something else. Perhaps we end up with Sydney's 43 or so, and he tries to roll that and something else together for a pick for Martin.

So if sydney said it’s pick 9, nothing coming back, would Carlton pay that?

Who knows what they’d do. I think it’s definitely overs, but if Sydney was gonna be that way about it I’d still give em the pick simply based on Carlton’s list needs; on paper, Papley is about as close as you’d find to a perfect fit. You’d be mad to pass up the opportunity to add a player like that at this point for yet another kid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is such an important point. Statistically Carlton is not likely to get as good a player as Papley on draft night.

I mean

2009 - Andrew Moore
2010 - Dion Prestia
2011 - Adam Tomlinson
2012 - Nick Vlastuin
2013 - Christian Salem
2014 - Darcy Moore
2015 - Sam Weideman
2016 - Will Brodie
2017 - Aaron Naughton
2018 - Chayce Jones

how many players there would you genuinely prefer to have on your list than Papley? Naughton would be a preference, and maybe three others who are in the 50/50 category (Weideman, Prestia and Moore) but everyone else is not a chance.

Better than Papley
10% - Naughton

50/50 with Papley
30% - Weideman, D.Moore, Prestia

Worse than Papley
60% - Jones, Brodie, Salem, Vlastuin, Tomlinson, A.Moore

So really with pick 9 you have a 10% chance of getting someone better than Papley.
And the reality is our list is now getting to the stage where the players we drafted should be coming into their own. Sure it would be nice to draft a young gun with that pick and have them come along quickly in the next 2-3 years. But as you said the chance of that happening is fairly slim and if by some chance they turn out to be a gun it’s another few seasons waiting around. We have senior players ready to see some success.

Plus Papley is young himself so he’ll be hitting his prime right as guys like Curnow, Cripps, Weitering etc do too.

Geezus!!

I’m down with Papley leaving for a reasonable pick. Really I am.

What I can’t abide is the continual bastardisation of the English language in this thread.

He is = he’s. ok? THAT’S the abbreviation!

NOT “his”. “His” denotes ownership. That car is his car. That girl is his girlfriend. One day he’s hoping to marry his girlfriend.

Phonetics has a lot to answer for.

Last edited:
Geezus!!

Im down with Papley leaving for a reasonable pick. Really I am.

What I can’t abide is the continual bastardisation of the English language in this thread.

NOT “his”. “His” denotes ownership. That car is his car. That girl is his girlfriend. One day he’s hoping to marry his girlfriend.

Quite a few of them may be autocorrects from mobile phone.

Geezus!!

Im down with Papley leaving for a reasonable pick. Really I am.

Your absolutely correct ;)

Language is the means, not the message itself. If you understand what they meant then achieved it's purpose.
Agree with this 100%, my pet hate is the people who use uncommon fanciful words to appear intelligent when in reality language is about communication and they are failing miserably.

Pretty much sums it up for me.

Language is the means, not the message itself. If you understand what they meant then achieved it's purpose.

Precisely the abandonment of standards that allows Barrett, Edmund, Browne, Louise Milligan and others to continue to pursue a career in journalism.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Tom Papley [wanted to return to Victoria, nominated Carlton - didn't get there]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back