Recommitted Tom Papley [wanted to return to Victoria, nominated Carlton - didn't get there]

Remove this Banner Ad

Just that Matthew Lloyd is completely outraged that Tom Harley spoke with Joe Daniher during the season.

Completely outraged.

Faux outrage. Think his issue is more with the blatant lies coming from Harley about the discussions. Trying to be clever about it, when it's clear for all to see that Daniher didn't just wake up last week and decide to request a trade to Sydney, there were without any doubt preliminary discussions and overtures made. Maybe Daniher approached them and they're just trying to protect him. Maybe the discussions were all with Daniher's manager and not Daniher himself. Either way, there was dialogue between the two camps.

Its all about perception. Clubs do it, but complain when it's their players, and use those situations as justification to keep doing it despite the fact that they "don't like the practice".

Personally, I don't think it matters. If a player is willing to enter discussions with another club in June, they've got their eye on the door anyway. Making them wait til October doesn't serve any purpose. If anything, it would delay trade week even further as clubs would have a heap of negotiation to cram into a very short period of time.

On paper, it looks all good. Carlton have a need, Sydney would definitely rather keep him but he wants to move. Not only that but if this thread is anything to go by, slight overs is satisfied with pick 9 also. (at least i agree). If someone had asked me what a sensible price might be it probably would have been around 10-15 with his form and age.

Looks like it just needs to go through the formal bullshyt process for the first week. We say No Way, Required, Contracted, We want more, blah blah ...his manager desperately looks for another club or two with a vague interest, in an attempt to up his price, Carlton sit on an early potentially fair price of perhaps pick 9, and we all just wait until late next week.

Of course we dont want him to go and would be happier if no trade happened, but i;m trying to be realistic...we rarely stand in the way of requests.
Sydney are a reasonable club to deal with and a reasonable outcome would be a trade involving pick 9 and potentially a late swap of picks. You're right re: the first week list manager macho talk...same thing every year. I hope you get to keep the pick 9 and not shift it over the essendon

Just that Matthew Lloyd is completely outraged that Tom Harley spoke with Joe Daniher during the season.

Completely outraged.
I think the footy media and public need to grow up and accept the reality that players and their managers engage with other clubs during the season. Players from every club do it and at some stage every club benefits by getting a contracted player. It's such a none story...big deal Harly enquired about Daniher and Daniher was interested. Daniher asked for a contract extension and was denied. Essendon are acting like they are saints when it comes to player negotiations

Being reported by two different sources now that it will be Papley and 2nd rounder (25) for 9. Some potential for a 3rd rounder going back to Sydney.

Some logical poster suggested this might be the case a while ago... Seems reasonable by two clubs who are generally professional and fair.

Being reported by two different sources now that it will be Papley and 2nd rounder (25) for 9. Some potential for a 3rd rounder going back to Sydney.

Some logical poster suggested this might be the case a while ago... Seems reasonable by two clubs who are generally professional and fair.

Not sure I like the 25 going with Papley. Seems like unders.

Lol. Guess you believe 9 and something is fair? But we are entitled..

9 is probably fair. If his contract expired in 2020, he'd probably be more like 15.

But the Swans have invested in the kid, financially and developmentally, and he's now an exceptional small forward/mid.

He's certainly a more valuable asset than whoever gets picked at 9, if only because his risk is far less.

9 is probably fair. If his contract expired in 2020, he'd probably be more like 15.

But the Swans have invested in the kid, financially and developmentally, and he's now an exceptional small forward/mid.

He's certainly a more valuable asset than whoever gets picked at 9, if only because his risk is far less.

Not really financially if you're being honest.

You've re-signed and backdated his salary pretty much every year on year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is that right, Scott Lucas?
WTF would you know?

It's public knowledge your salary cap is and has been in strife for a while.

You even had to re-sign Tippett over 2 years to pay his final year. That's how dire things were.

You lost Mitchell for unders.

You've only freed up cap space now with multiple retirements.

Name another player that is re-signed for another year, and the end of each season, for the past 3 years in a row?

It's public knowledge your salary cap is and has been in strife for a while.

You even had to re-sign Tippett over 2 years to pay his final year. That's how dire things were.

You lost Mitchell for unders.

You've only freed up cap space now with multiple retirements.

Name another player that is re-signed for another year, and the end of each season, for the past 3 years in a row?

I think our cap might be fine.

Mitchell wasn't contracted. See the difference?

What's common knowledge is Carlton's ongoing failure to develop top end talent into successful AFL footballers.

Never lose your misplaced sense of entitlement, Carlton fans.

So trade radio and foxsports both suggest the deal will be around that mark, but it's my/our sense of entitlement?

This thread is littered with neutrals suggesting that isn't a bad trade (see below). It is Sydney's prerogative whether they think that is acceptable or not, not yours and mine. I personally think that Papley + 25 will be traded for 9 and potentially 39 or 44 and Sydney will agree and move onto the Daniher situation.

seems like a fair trade to me.

I think our cap might be fine.

Mitchell wasn't contracted. See the difference?

What's common knowledge is Carlton's ongoing failure to develop top end talent into successful AFL footballers.

Maybe fine now. Wasn't a year ago. Wasn't the year before that.

Can't fault the guy for wanting to return home, live with his partner and get fair compensation that isn't heavily backdated.

Our talent development is going just fine thank you. Please don't be upset this player has chosen us over you. It's nothing personal.

Maybe fine now. Wasn't a year ago. Wasn't the year before that.

Can't fault the guy for wanting to return home, live with his partner and get fair compensation that isn't heavily backdated.

Our talent development is going just fine thank you. Please don't be upset this player has chosen us over you. It's nothing personal.

You wouldn't have a clue.

You wouldn't have a clue.

What did I post that doesn't make sense to you? Feel free to discuss rather than resort to personal insults.

Surely you're well aware of your clubs recent salary cap headaches. It is your club. It's been well reported and discussed. It's no secret.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Tom Papley [wanted to return to Victoria, nominated Carlton - didn't get there]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back