Tom Scully vs Luke Shuey

Tom vs Luke! Take your Pick!

• Tom Scully

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Luke Shuey

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Tough pick, completely different players. Scully is an accumulating running machine with adequate disposal and a good inside game (sort of like a very, very rich man's Brent Stanton) whereas Shuey is a big bodied impact player with an excellent inside game and who kicks goals.

I think if you wanted someone to help you wear down the opposition and win a game over 4 quarters, you'd pick Scully. But if you're a few goals down with 10 minutes to go and you wanted someone to come alive and win the game off of his own boot, you'd pick Shuey.

Tom Scully.

Shuey will be a bull in the packs but Scully has this unbelievable motor that will eventually take over games. They're both outstanding.

breaking up parts of their game:

Kicking - Shuey, he's an elite kick on either foot
Goals - Shuey, 13 already this season for a midfielder. has kicked a 5er too.
Endurance - Scully, he's been out for a number of weeks and he's come back in and looks very comfortable covering the ground. he'll go all day.
Inside work - pretty close but i'd say Scully at this point in time, he's got fantastic hands.
Outside work - i think Scully is very adept at spreading but Shuey seems to be much more damaging. obviously this is due to his kicking skills, but shuey is probably our best 'inside 50' player. fantastic at hitting targets when running at 50.
Tackling - i'm going to call this one a draw. both are great tacklers.

it's pretty hard to tell as both are only just getting started. shuey is finally getting a real run at it with his injuries (hopefully) behind him.

they're pretty different types of players also, i liked the very very rich man's stanton comparison. shuey is a poor mans judd type of player.

im taking shuey purely based on his elite kicking skills and my obvious bias.

Tough pick, completely different players. Scully is an accumulating running machine with adequate disposal and a good inside game (sort of like a very, very rich man's Brent Stanton) whereas Shuey is a big bodied impact player with an excellent inside game and who kicks goals.

I think if you wanted someone to help you wear down the opposition and win a game over 4 quarters, you'd pick Scully. But if you're a few goals down with 10 minutes to go and you wanted someone to come alive and win the game off of his own boot, you'd pick Shuey.
IMO, Scully has the ability to do this too. But in a different way.

uuuuuuuuuummmmmm.

No idea. I'd prefer to have shuey because he's a total lad and i have a massive man crush. But that's not really about who's the better player.

Shuey is more damaging due to elite disposal on both feet and will kick more goals.

Scully has a phenomenal tank and will rack up more possies.

Both are tough inside players aswell who tackle hard.

both have a bit of a fighting spirit and grit i like.

There's actually no way for me to call this. Both. A Draw.
I rate these two as the best young mids in the comp up with martin, fyfe and swallow.

And Shuey has the ability to wear down the opposition and win a game over 4 quarters too. But I think one is better than the other at each of them.
I have not seen Shuey exhibit any wearing down of opposition and in fact has struggled when targeted defensively. Maybe he will develop that kind of tank in time, but it's not even close atm.

He missed his first 2 pre seasons with injury so it's no surprise.

I have not seen Shuey exhibit any wearing down of opposition and in fact has struggled when targeted defensively. Maybe he will develop that kind of tank in time, but it's not even close atm.

He missed his first 2 pre seasons with injury so it's no surprise.

He has had games where he has been a consistently good performer helping us win games over 4 quarters. But no he is not up to the standard of scully in this regard, not many are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scully...I think he will be one of the top 5 players in the competition when he matures, if not considered the best at some point.

He's a stoppage dynamo, a ball magnet, has a very high work-rate and ultra consistent.

I don't think Shuey will ever get to the level of Scully, whilst he's a better kick, he's not as prolific as Scully in other key areas. I think he'll be a top 50 AFL player at his peak, but not a top 10 AFL player.

Scully should be judged on how far he has come in another 4-5 weeks, it takes time to get it right at the top level.

Shuey looks to be a future superstar of the competition, a real game breaker in a similar mold to Ricciuto IMO - strong bodied, excellent kick, goal scoring.

Scully will get bigger, has better indurance, is probably quicker, and I think he is definitely a better in and under player, his hands around the packs are exquisite.

Both excellent prospects.

Both players are absolute guns, however shuey is older by a year which has given him another pre season under his belt (although interupted) this thread would be better in another year when we can assess how far they have come...saying that, if i had to make a choice now i would take shuey :D

Very good poll, would still take Shuey.
This kid may be a year older, but he has been injured. Wait till he has a few pre-seasons under his belt.
He had 27 touches 5 goal game this season from the middle, yet he has played less than 20 games.
I reckon Shuey will be more of a gamebreaker like others have mentioned, but his in and under work is very underrated.

Both will be top 5 players in the league.

I don't have the balls to call this ATM. As it stands, too close to call IMO. Ask me again in 12-24 months, will be very interesting. Not a bad poll.

Both players are absolute guns, however shuey is older by a year which has given him another pre season under his belt (although interupted) this thread would be better in another year when we can assess how far they have come...saying that, if i had to make a choice now i would take shuey :D

Shuey has only had one preseason, has had a horror run with injury. Though I acknowledge you can't use that argument against Scully who has been injured all year and has been great since being back in the team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom Scully vs Luke Shuey

Back