Tom Wills Round? AFL are denying us the truth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Fire, it sounds as if you have copied and pasted your knob on your head, going by that statement.

Oh really?

did I offend you by telling it as it is? Are you too weak to react to this in any way other than posting a feeble insult?

Thread title:

Tom Wills Round? AFL are denying us the truth.{/QUOTE]

Thread content:

Tom Wills did not invent the Aussie rules code of footy. He only organised an existing and popular sport in 1858.

It is quite sad that books like this are still being published today by professional historians. And the general public will continue to be led down the garden path.

And in one of the earlier threads:

The TRUE origins of Australian Rules Football
This prefacing your theory.

It is a fact that Australian Rules did NOT originate from Gaelic Football but both codes did originate from the Caid played in County Kerry.

Yeah, you aren't making any claims that your copy and pasted theory is the one true version of history. As from above, it is clear that i must have "copied and pasted my knob on my head"

And if that insult isn't enough, just a few posts deeper into the thread I have linked, you give us a sneak peek into the mind that is behind this barrow:

You are obviously racist towards the Irish people in stating that they are not a race.

You don't know what you are talking about, and what is worse, you are being militantly ignorant.

200px-Hurlbut1.jpg

"I think, Saint77, that you've been taken in by an obvious forgery. Unfortunately, historical research is plagued by this sort of hoax -- the so-called confession. It's just as fake as the Howard Hughes will, the Hitler Diaries, or the Emancipation Retraction"

you don't recall correctly. The VFL was formed in 1897, and renamed itself in 1990. To claim it is a different competition is like saying that QANTAS and Qantas are different companies.

Im pretty sure D23 didn't claim they were 2 different comps, just that the AFL STARTED in 1990. It is recoginised that Robert Harvey has played VFL/AFL. This all seems a little off the subject of Tom Wills Tho.

Im pretty sure D23 didn't claim they were 2 different comps, just that the AFL STARTED in 1990.

There is no ambiguity. If you say the AFL started in 1990, you are suggesting that the noun carrying the label 'AFL' started in 1990.

Russia didn't start in 1991 after the soviet union collapsed. Yet by your logic that statement would be true.

I know what you are saying, but the sentence was concise, the meaning is clear.

The sentance for your explained meaning would be "The competition started using the label 'AFL' in 1990."

And yeah, it is a little off topic, but its being discussed.

Problem is there was no bouncing of the ball in the first rules of Australian football. The bounce was introduced by 1866 after argument between the Handlers (geelong) and the kickers. Because men like Tom Wills and his cousin Colden harrison where so fast they were uncatchable once they had possesion. This led Red Smith and a deputation from the St. Kilda club to have the rules changed in 1860 so that a player could not run with ball. The geelong club amongst others largely ignored this rule. At subsequent rules meetings it was decided that a player could run with the ball as long as he touched it on the ground every 6 or 7 paces. The bounce was introduced as a direct result of the athletic speed of Wills and Harrison, amongst others, not a connection to some Irish game.

interesting thread, but if the above is true, then its game, set , match against dingleball being the original inspiration (although it is impossible to proove it wasnt an influence.)

Its pretty obvious that certain rules could be arrived at independently for the same reason - how to make it easier to catch the guy with the ball? Make him bounce it. its not rocket science.

There is no ambiguity. If you say the AFL started in 1990, you are suggesting that the noun carrying the label 'AFL' started in 1990.

Russia didn't start in 1991 after the soviet union collapsed. Yet by your logic that statement would be true.

I know what you are saying, but the sentence was concise, the meaning is clear.

The sentance for your explained meaning would be "The competition started using the label 'AFL' in 1990."

And yeah, it is a little off topic, but its being discussed.

JESUS CHRIST!!!! SORRY MRS FIRE.
Writing english poor bad, meltdown speak not good sometimes, sorry meltdown says.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom Wills Round? AFL are denying us the truth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back