Tony Modra!

Remove this Banner Ad

that little package just refreshed my memories WOW how ****ing good was he now that I think about with the trouble we've had with forwards now we took him for granted!

look at his attack on the ball in the F50 someone at the club needs to show this to the young forwards to show them how it's done!

How did he not win mark of the year and goal of the year every year? that package is amazing!

Show that vid to all our current forwards. The attack on the ball against Richmond at the G, the 2nd effort after his initial soccer, the sprit 30m to contest and kick it away again, then gather, than snap from the pocket and goal. Amazing. Godly.

Those soccer goals were magic, best exponent of the off the ground goal of all time IMO. Funniest Modra moment I can recall was him taking a hanger over his favourite step-ladder Mick Martyn, then playing on from 1 metre out, kicking the ball about 100 meters straight up in the air, hitting the top of the goal post on the way down, much to the delight of Micky.
I agree it was funny but from what I remember that also cost us that match :(. Really upset me at the time

What was the name of the footy club Modra and his brothers played for just over the border, i heard they enjoyed their time there :D

I remember reading that too. Also recall one of the athletics coaches saying he could've made the olympics as a discus thrower.

I coached Anthony at football for a few years and know that he was a champion at soccer and athletics. I havent seen a more natural athlete and can tell you most of the rumours that have been doing the circles over the years are just that. Rumours. As for his brothers Kym and Rick, both were very good footballers but different types of players to Anthony.

that little package just refreshed my memories WOW how ****ing good was he now that I think about with the trouble we've had with forwards now we took him for granted!

look at his attack on the ball in the F50 someone at the club needs to show this to the young forwards to show them how it's done!

How did he not win mark of the year and goal of the year every year? that package is amazing!

Probably the same reason Burton (& Motlop) dont win it :D

Thanks for posting that Better....Great highlights package. Hope Mods has it. :D
Not sure you can teach what he had. That absolute desire for the ball and absolute desire to use it to advantage when he got it. His goal-sense was freakish to say the least.
He took so many great pack marks. Something our current crop of forwards can't do.
I wish he had finished his career with us.

I coached Anthony at football for a few years and know that he was a champion at soccer and athletics. I havent seen a more natural athlete and can tell you most of the rumours that have been doing the circles over the years are just that. Rumours. As for his brothers Kym and Rick, both were very good footballers but different types of players to Anthony.

as I said, in a now deleted post, my only 2nd hand experience of this was as you say - that much of what as claimed was not true.

I don't think anyone, in recent australian sporting history ever burnt THAT bright, that quickly, as his star did in 1993. this was effectively his full season, and out of nowhere he kicked 130 goals. and the way he kicked them... combined with his looks, the whole package of massive over-exposure.

how could there not be people who wanted to believe the worst of someone who appeared to have everything?

but then, I also believe those people to be green eyed scum bags, so what do I know :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Tony Modra!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back