Opinion Top 10 Overrated and Underrated Players

Remove this Banner Ad

May 24, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal
Has to be current day players. Can be under/over rated for any reason. Public opinion, you can't understand why he gets picked in the side each week, looking back on a players career and how he's compared to the greats of the game etc.

Top 10 Overrated players:
1. Joel Bowden - The uncontested cheap disposal king.
2. Dale Thomas - The cult hero who is too inconsistent.
3. Jordan Russell - I don't know what Ratten sees in him.
4. Dane Swan - Waddles around the ground kicking mongrels. Works hard but lacks class.
5. Russel Robertson - Doesn't look like a footballer and has never impressed me apart from his aerial antics.
6. Mark Williams - Carried by superior teammates, no longer does enough.
7. Daniel Wells - Move to HB might be good, but so far in his career he hasn't done much.
8. Luke Ablett - A famous last name can only get you so far. Never seen him as a good player.
9. Matthew Priddis - During the match you'll barely notice him and then look at the stat sheet to see he got 30+ touches.
10. Jonathan Brown - Good player, but overrated in terms of his standing in the game. Media hype has oversold him.

Top 10 Underrated Players:
1. Tyson Edwards - I think he's been a star for ages doesnt seem to get enough recognition
2. Daniel Bradshaw - Playing with Lynch and now Brown he has never seen the spotlight but he is a powerhouse.
3. Matthew Boyd - In all the AA team threads I don't see his name enough, seriously good this year.
4. Simon Prestigiacomo - Nearly the best 1-on-1 defender in the game.
5. Roger Hayden - When fit he is one of the best small defenders in the game.
6. Bernie Vince - Adelaide are building a good solid young midfield with Vince a key cog.
7. Steven Salopek - A very good player this season before he had injury troubles.
8. Tarkyn Lockyer - Seems to get forgotten in all the Davis, Didak and Thomas euphoria.
9. Warren Tredrea - Seems to get forgotten in debates for the best players of the past decade.
10. Daniel Jackson - With Deledio, Foley, Tuck and Tambling the bigger name draftees, Jackson has stood out this year.

Has to be current day players. Can be under/over rated for any reason. Public opinion, you can't understand why he gets picked in the side each week, looking back on a players career and how he's compared to the greats of the game etc.

4. Dane Swan - Waddles around the ground kicking mongrels. Works hard but lacks class.
5. Russel Robertson - Doesn't look like a footballer and has never impressed me apart from his aerial antics.
7. Daniel Wells - Move to HB might be good, but so far in his career he hasn't done much.
8. Luke Ablett - A famous last name can only get you so far. Never seen him as a good player.
9. Matthew Priddis - During the match you'll barely notice him and then look at the stat sheet to see he got 30+ touches.
10. Jonathan Brown - Good player, but overrated in terms of his standing in the game. Media hype has oversold him.

1. Tyson Edwards - I think he's been a star for ages doesnt seem to get enough recognition
2. Daniel Bradshaw - Playing with Lynch and now Brown he has never seen the spotlight but he is a powerhouse.
3. Matthew Boyd - In all the AA team threads I don't see his name enough, seriously good this year.
6. Bernie Vince - Adelaide are building a good solid young midfield with Vince a key cog.
7. Steven Salopek - A very good player this season before he had injury troubles.
8. Tarkyn Lockyer - Seems to get forgotten in all the Davis, Didak and Thomas euphoria.
9. Warren Tredrea - Seems to get forgotten in debates for the best players of the past decade.
10. Daniel Jackson - With Deledio, Foley, Tuck and Tambling the bigger name draftees, Jackson has stood out this year.
Dale Thomas, yup that is very true. He was meant to be a Collingwood star but so far has become nothing but a sometimes decent half forward flanker. Nothing special.

Haha, Dane Swan waddles around like a swan doesn't he? He is a good player though, I reckon he isn't overrated at all.

I don't think Luke Ablett is overrated, has anyone every actually rated him? :p

Matthew Priddis, yup, can't beleive this guy actually gets a game! Gets cheap handballs and rarely has a major influence on the game.

Daniel Bradshaw, absolute gun but has always been in a shadow hasn't he? He deserves more recognition.

Roger Hayden, underrated yes, should of been AA last year.

Thomas was over rated a year or two ago.

He isn't rated particularly highly anymore.....does anyone consider him a star, in all honesty?

Media exposure doesn't mean he's rated exceptionally highly.

I'll agree on Swan though, some people over rated how good he is.

Jordan Russell....come on, nobody rates him. Not over rated at all.

Matthew Boyd is a good one for under rated.

Jordan Russell....come on, nobody rates him. Not over rated at all.
Brett Ratten. If a coach continue to plays a very average player I consider him overrated. There are quite a few of them but I think Russel and L.Ablett have been overrated for far too long. Leigh Brown is another who I cant understand getting a game.

Russel Robertson is underrated if anything imo. Robbed of an AA spot in 05 after kicking 70+ goals I think, would be a great forward in a better team. Even with shit supply he almost won Melbourne's goalkicking off about 10 games last year.

Quick top 5's for me other than players already mentioned (in no order)

Overrated
1. Tom Harley
2. Bryce Gibbs
3. Nick Stevens
4. Michael Osbourne
5. Andrew Mackie

Underrated
1. Brad Green
2. Daniel Cross
3. Joel Patful
4. Jarred McVeigh
5. Scott Pendlebury

Last two are rated by many but still don't get enough recognition, plus I was struggling to think off the top of my head. Would have had Montagna in there last year.

what about lenny hayes i rekon as a saints supporter he has always been known as a good player but i really think he is one of the best midfielders in the AFL atm his form is almost at is best and he is killing it he is my underrated player:thumbsu:

bowden massivley overrated 30 20m chip kicks in the back 50 doesnt make a good player:thumbsdown:

harry obrien is a way under-rated defender. he'd be in the all australian team at the moment i reckon.

I agree with the top three overrated players, the jury's still out on Wells & Brown. I've never noticed Matt Priddis & Luke Ablett to be honest. My bias is Mark Williams should be above Russell Robertson. The underrated players list is spot on for me.

Top 10 Overrated
1 - Jonathan Brown
2 - Lindsay Gilbee
3 - Brendan Fevola
4 - Daniel Kerr
5 - Stuart Dew
6 - Nathan Jones
7 - Danyle Pearce
8 - Ryan Griffen
9 - Alwyn Davey
10 - Trent Cotchin

Top 10 Underrated
1 - Jude Bolton
2 - Simon Prestigiacomo
3 - Matthew Boyd
4 - Roger Hayden
5 - Andrew Swallow
6 - Harry O'Brien
7 - Adam Selwood
8 - Brent Moloney
9 - Dean Polo
10 - Martin Mattner

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top 10 Overrated
1 - Jonathan Brown
2 - Lindsay Gilbee
3 - Brendan Fevola
4 - Daniel Kerr
5 - Stuart Dew
6 - Nathan Jones
7 - Danyle Pearce
8 - Ryan Griffen
9 - Alwyn Davey
10 - Trent Cotchin

Top 10 Underrated
1 - Jude Bolton
2 - Simon Prestigiacomo
3 - Matthew Boyd
4 - Roger Hayden
5 - Harry O'Brien
6 - Andrew Swallow
7 - Adam Selwood
8 - Brent Moloney
9 - Dean Polo
10 - Martin Mattner

Nathan Jones is a good one, he is probably the worst decision maker for the Dees. Maybe Kerr, now that he doesn't have Cousins and Judd to take the pressure.
Don't think Polo is underrated, I think he's very average. Jude Bolton and Adam Selwood are two more who are underrated. Both having very good seasons.

Just an aside - Who exactly rates Thomas so highly in the first place to make him overrated? And no, being on television doesn't count. All that means is that he has a good manager and a marketable look. Most Collingwood fans would agree that he's not in our top 7-8 players, so it's not Magpie fans pumping up his tyres.

48 disposals today pretty much all of which were effective... think he deserves his high rating.

WOW!! what a dumb list.

Dane swan: with his 48 posys today 4 posys or the AFL record he is clearly over rated :rolleyes:

Jonathan Brown: Oh yeah this bloke is never a match winner and his leadership skills would be the worst in the league:rolleyes:

Matthew Priddis: hmm, clearly one of the worst things to come out of a rookie list selection.:rolleyes: I cant believe all those other nobodys on rookie lists dont get games how come??

Dale Thomas: Yeah this kid cant kick any goals, soo boring as well:rolleyes: its very easy to bag players during injury

I also noted how not many sydney players arn't on the list. But of course Barry Hall wouldnt be over-rated would he. Had an awesome GF series in 05 and 06:rolleyes:

Top 10 Overrated

10 - Trent Cotchin

Turned Scarlett inside-out with virtualy his first possession at AFL level, made a fool of Marc Murphy, slipped out of tackles with ease at 17,does at least one or two astonishing things in every game and already has the best disposal in his team by a mile, finished third in the Rising star with only 14 games.., delivered a crucial pinpoint match-winning kick to Morton in his third game back this year...a whole 17 senior games over two injury interrupted seasons and so far and yet to do a full pre-season....yet rarely gets mentioned outside of broadcasts of Richmond matches....yeah, totally overrated mate....:eek:

Top 10 Underrated

9 - Dean Polo
Most overrated player on the Richmond board....slow, poor disposal under pressure....

Turned Scarlett inside-out with virtualy his first possession at AFL level, made a fool of Marc Murphy, slipped out of tackles with ease at 17,does at least one or two astonishing things in every game and already has the best disposal in his team by a mile, finished third in the Rising star with only 14 games.., delivered a crucial pinpoint match-winning kick to Morton in his third game back this year...a whole 17 senior games over two injury interrupted seasons and so far and yet to do a full pre-season....yet rarely gets mentioned outside of broadcasts of Richmond matches....yeah, totally overrated mate....:eek:

As soon as I posted it, I knew it would cause some controversy. I wasn't deliberately trying to get a rise out of people, I just think he's overrated compared to what he's actually achieved so far.

Everyone in the media talks Cotchin up like he's God's gift - whether it's during broadcasts of Richmond games or not. They did so before he even played a game last year, and did so this season before he'd played a game this year. I think he got mentioned every week on Footy Classified, On the Couch, or in some other form of television and print media every week before his 2009 return, as though when he came back, Richmond were going to dominate the comp all of a sudden. Sure, he is very talented, and has a very bright future, but I'd like him to put together at least one full season before anyone labels him as anything other than simply young, talented, full of potential and injury prone. I really can't stand people getting excessively talked up due to potential, and he's one of the main ones. I feel the same about John McCarthy (some on the Collingwood boards think he'll be a superstar right away for us once he returns from injury), and I've felt similarly about Cyril Rioli at times as well, except Cyril has produced a fair number of better games than Cotchin IMO, and is ahead of him in that he has actually gotten out on the park more than half the time, played very, very well and achieved something of note (playing an important role in a Premiership). The way Cotchin is talked about by some, you'd think he was already better than Joel Selwood or Scott Pendlebury, both of whom are the best 21-and-unders in the game IMO.

Most overrated player on the Richmond board....slow, poor disposal under pressure....

I think he's a decent player who plays hard and is unfairly maligned by some. He turned the game for the Tigers on Saturday night. Definitely underrated in a league-wide sense, and I don't understand why he hasn't been firmly entrenched in the Tigers 22 since Round 1.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Top 10 Overrated and Underrated Players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back