Opinion Top 10 Overrated and Underrated Players

Remove this Banner Ad

WOW!! what a dumb list.

Dale Thomas: Yeah this kid cant kick any goals, soo boring as well:rolleyes: its very easy to bag players during injury

Nothing to do with the fact he's a #2 draft pick who is in his fourth season with 70 games under his belt, but is still dreadfully inconsistent and doesn't find it enough, and he's all over the media like a superstar because of his blond locks and the high profile of his football club.

He is the epitome of overrated.

If he looked like Cameron Ling the football public would be calling him a massive draft bust - Tambling has shown more and he'll be copping it in the arse from here to eternity.

Nothing to do with the fact he's a #2 draft pick who is in his fourth season with 70 games under his belt, but is still dreadfully inconsistent and doesn't find it enough, and he's all over the media like a superstar because of his blond locks and the high profile of his football club.

He is the epitome of overrated.

If he looked like Cameron Ling the football public would be calling him a massive draft bust - Tambling has shown more and he'll be copping it in the arse from here to eternity.

I'd say that 17 posssessions a game, 4 tackles a game, and the same amount of 1%ers a game as full-time inside midfielders like Chris Judd and Sam Mitchell is pretty decent for a 21-year-old Half Forward/Half Back/Midfield Pinch Hitter. He consistently shows more genuine football smarts, creativity and flair than Tambling does, and while he might be below where some people think he should be (what are people realistically expecting of him?), for someone who isn't a full-time Midfielder, in a low-possession gameplan that stiffles individual flair and initiative for the most part, I think he's doing ok. Nobody who supports Collingwood rates him that highly, and nobody else rates him at all, so I don't know who is overrating him.

Beyond being picked #2 in the draft, I don't know when anyone genuinely rated him. Very early on he was praised for his courage, ability, flair and composure, while not looking like a deer in the headlights and actually making an important contribution from the word go, despite being quite a skinny just out of high school. But beyond that, nobody has ever seemed to rate him that highly.

Being in television commercials has nothing to do with football ability either, and doesn't mean he's being overrated. Marketers see that he has the looks and flair to his game that get young people interested, so they use him accordingly. He should thank his management for getting so many marketing opportunities for him at such a young age, allowing him to have an income outside of football and career options for his post-football life. He also shows great maturity and speaks well compared to a lot of 21-year-olds. I know because I am one, and lots of people I know wouldn't have half the confidence or poise in front of the camera that he does, whether it be on commercials, or on The Footy Show, where while not being an exciting guest, he doesn't make himself look like an idiot a la Brendan Fevola.

No particular order:

Overrated
Jared Brennan
Andrew Carazzo
Nick Stevens
Travis Cloke
Rhys Palmer
Tom Harley
Tom Hawkins
Chad Cornes
Nathan Brown
Jason Gram
Barry Hall
Ryan Griffen

Underrated
Kurt Tippet
Jason Porplyzia
Josh Drummond
Leon Davis
Luke McPharlin
James Kelly
Grant Birchall
Jordan Lewis
David Hale
Matthew Bate
Robbie Gray
Daniel Jackson
Lenny Hayes
Michael Gardiner
Leigh Montagna (he was up until this year and i think he still is)
Jarrad McVeigh
Mark LeCras
Mitch Hahn
Ryan Hargrave

No particular order:

Overrated
Jared Brennan
Andrew Carazzo
Nick Stevens
Travis Cloke
Rhys Palmer
Tom Harley
Tom Hawkins
Chad Cornes
Nathan Brown
Jason Gram
Barry Hall
Ryan Griffen

Underrated
Kurt Tippet
Jason Porplyzia
Josh Drummond
Leon Davis
Luke McPharlin
James Kelly
Grant Birchall
Jordan Lewis
David Hale
Matthew Bate
Robbie Gray
Daniel Jackson
Lenny Hayes
Michael Gardiner
Leigh Montagna (he was up until this year and i think he still is)
Jarrad McVeigh
Mark LeCras
Mitch Hahn
Ryan Hargrave

Disagree about Palmer. he dominated in his first year to win the rookie of the year. Isnt it only his 2nd year? and he did his ACL this year. would of got the best tagger as well. bit harsh.

Agree about LeCras. oh who is he you might ask? he is in the top 10 of leading goal kickers, and the number 1 small forward on the goal list atm. hard to believe he got 6.0 on Friday night with the amount of difficult shots he had.

For those who've mentioned him, good call on Matthew Bate as underrated. He probably doesn't get enough kudos because of the side he plays for, but he's a nice leading Key Forward type, good for marking it around 50-80 out, and getting that kick into the Forward 50, as well as getting a couple of goals a game himself. He is suprisingly (considering his mature play since debut) still only 21.

Overrated
Clint Jones (overrated in the sense he gets a game every week)
Quinten Lynch
Bryce Gibbs
Joel Bwoden
Barry Hall
Scott Welsh
Jordan Russel (see Jones)
James Gwilt
Dean Brogan
Nathan Brown (Richmond)

Underrated
Matthew Bate
Mark LeCras
Joel Patful
Travis Boak
Kurt Tippet
Matthew Warnock
Daniel Cross
Harry O'Brien
Roger Hayden
Josh Gibson

For those who've mentioned him, good call on Matthew Bate as underrated. He probably doesn't get enough kudos because of the side he plays for, but he's a nice leading Key Forward type, good for marking it around 50-80 out, and getting that kick into the Forward 50, as well as getting a couple of goals a game himself. He is suprisingly (considering his mature play since debut) still only 21.

Honestly did not read that before I put Bate at the top of my underrated list!

Good call.

Overrated:
1. Brett Deledio
2. Daniel Kerr
3. Brent Guerra
4. Tenace (by thompson)
Cant think of others that are blatantly obvious right now. I could include Franklin but hes just going through a bad patch atm and is still leading the coleman...

Underrated:
1. Bernie Vince
2. Troy Chaplin
3. Scott Stevens
4. Jude Bolton
5. Dan Harris
6. James Kelly
7. Matthew Bate
8. Cam Mooney
9. Kade Simpson
10. Boyd/Sewell

No order...

Overrated:
1. Brett Deledio
2. Daniel Kerr
3. Brent Guerra
4. Tenace (by thompson)
Cant think of others that are blatantly obvious right now. I could include Franklin but hes just going through a bad patch atm and is still leading the coleman...

Underrated:
1. Bernie Vince
2. Troy Chaplin
3. Scott Stevens
4. Jude Bolton
5. Dan Harris
6. James Kelly
7. Matthew Bate
8. Cam Mooney
9. Kade Simpson
10. Boyd/Sewell

No order...
I cant believe that nobody has listed Kozheshitsme as over rated.He is the Paris Hilton of the AFL only not that tough

Top 10 Overrated players:
7. Daniel Wells - Move to HB might be good, but so far in his career he hasn't done much.

Top 10 Underrated Players:
7. Steven Salopek - A very good player this season before he had injury troubles.

I know this is an opinion thingo, and I know I'm up against it because I have seen the opinion poles where 90% of bigfooty has rated JON > Daniel Wells (Disclaimer: that is a slight exagerration, but you know what I'm getting at).

But just on Salopek and Wells - they were both taken as top 10 picks in the same draft and while Wells has played a few more games than Salopek, he too has had injury interrupted seasons (including this year). Wells averages 0.5 disposals per game over his career less than Salopek, equal goals per game and 1 more tackle per game, yet Salopek is underrated and Wells is overrated?

It just seems like no one rates Wells, so I don't understand why he is always mentioned as being overrated?

I know this is an opinion thingo, and I know I'm up against it because I have seen the opinion poles where 90% of bigfooty has rated JON > Daniel Wells (Disclaimer: that is a slight exagerration, but you know what I'm getting at).

But just on Salopek and Wells - they were both taken as top 10 picks in the same draft and while Wells has played a few more games than Salopek, he too has had injury interrupted seasons (including this year). Wells averages 0.5 disposals per game over his career less than Salopek, equal goals per game and 1 more tackle per game, yet Salopek is underrated and Wells is overrated?

It just seems like no one rates Wells, so I don't understand why he is always mentioned as being overrated?

I think becasue Wells was picked at number 2 alot of people have expected him to be able to fly:rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's mine guys .. no particular order

Overated Players for mine:
Cameron Mooney & Tom Hawkins (I could kick a bag for Geelong)
Barry Hall (The only thing he has done since sydney winning a flag is punch staker)
Ryan Griffen
Tom Harley
Corey Enright (not sure on whether he is rated by cats fans but i'd like to see how he would play at a club that doesnt gain as much possession as the cats)
Joel Bowden
Leigh Brown (he must be rated to have played 190 AFL games ... Probably played 10 good games in his awful career)

Underated Players
Leigh Montagna
Matty Boyd
Kade Simpson
David Mundy
Leigh Harding
Martin Mattner
Ben Mcglynn

Overrated:
Dale Thomas
Cam Mooney
Joel Bowden
Chad Cornes
Daniel Kerr
Nathan G Brown
Tom Hawkins
Nick Stevens
Jared Brennan

Underrated:
Tyson Edwards
Matthew Boyd
Brad Sewell
Roger Hayden
Paul Duffield
Jobe Watson
Steven Salopek
Harry O'Brien
Leigh Montagna
Adam Selwood
Daniel Jackson

OVERRATED

Tom Hawkins
Daniel Wells
Troy Simmonds
Bret Thornton
Dale Thomas
Sam Fisher
Brad Fisher
Anthony Rocca
Brian Lake
Mitch Morton
Andrew Mackie

UNDERRATED

Daniel Jackson
Cameron Ling
Brad Green
Tyson Edwards
Chris Knights
Matthew Boyd
Simon Prestigiacomo
Jordan Lewis
Brad Sewell
Scott Penlelbury
Daniel Cross
Shane Tuck
Trent Cotchin
Robin Nahas
Mark LeCras
Leigh Montagna
Paul Duffield

Under-rated

Simon Black
Daniel Cross
Tyson Edwards
Brad Sewell
Leigh Montagna
Paul Duffield
Adam Selwood
Scott Thompson
Matthew Bate
Ryan Hargrave

Over-rated

Bryce Gibbs
Nick Stevens
Dale Thomas
Daniel Wells
Troy Simmonds
Cameron Mooney
Nathan Brown
Brett Deledio
Adam Simpson
Lenny Hayes

Brennan isn't over-rated...just a show off. Never really heard anyone talk about Brennan so don't exactly think he is over-rated.

Rucking him atm because of lack of ruckmen in the Brisbane stocks is hurting him.

But i'm probably bias :)

Will get shot down for this but i think Paul Bower is Underrated he is really putting together a few good games this year and has a bright future IMO..

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Top 10 Overrated and Underrated Players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back