Top 10 Players Since 2000

Remove this Banner Ad

I have no idea what you are on about tbh. He had a patch of about 8 years averaging about 30 touches a game ablett.

He was on another shelf to dusty or anyone else.

2x brownlows 8 AA 2x premierships ,5× Leigh Matthews Trophy: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2012, 2013, 3× AFLCA champion player of the year award: 2007, 2008, 2009.

You exaggerate martins finals a little as well. He has played a few finals where he has played quite poorly. Also 17,19 let’s be honest, you played pretty mediocre teams and didn’t even need him out there in those grannies to win. He played well but let’s not exaggerate the impact.

Not arguing in H&A he was more consistent. I agree.

But I’d rather a player who’s more consistent (and better) in finals. He had an 80% BOG rate across 10 finals in 17,19,20 and 100% BOG in 3 GFs netting 3 flags and a dynasty.

Then obviously another record breaking 2017 in H&A. 11/22 BOGs in the H&A season (record) and 3/3 BOG in finals. Let that sink in for a sec. He was BOG most of the games for the WHOLE SEASON with 14/25

Those are records that’s never happened before and will never be seen again.

GAJ as good as he was never had a record like that in finals and he didn’t even play a role in your 3rd flag and if you wanna talk about poor GF teams it doesn’t get much worse than Port 07 and he couldn’t even get a BOG against them. I’m not having a go that’s what happened.

Not arguing in H&A he was more consistent. I agree.

But I’d rather a player who’s more consistent (and better) in finals. He had an 80% BOG rate across 10 finals in 17,19,20 and 100% BOG in 3 GFs netting 3 flags and a dynasty.

Then obviously another record breaking 2017 in H&A. 11/22 BOGs in the H&A season (record) and 3/3 BOG in finals. Let that sink in for a sec. He was BOG most of the games for the WHOLE SEASON with 14/25

Those are records that’s never happened before and will never be seen again.

GAJ as good as he was never had a record like that in finals and he didn’t even play a role in your 3rd flag and if you wanna talk about poor GF teams it doesn’t get much worse than Port 07 and he couldn’t even get a BOG against them. I’m not having a go that’s what happened.
I’d just rather the better player period which was easily gaz. He was on another playing level to Martin across his career, not just cherry picking a handful of games, but a career which is the ultimate measurement.

I’d just rather the better player period which was easily gaz. He was on another playing level to Martin across his career, not just cherry picking a handful of games, but a career which is the ultimate measurement.

And your criteria for “better player period” is more consistent in H&A cause that’s all he is. Dusty was on another level with finals and peak.

No my criteria for a better player period is you played to a higher level over the entirety of your career. Which ablett did.

Not when it matters most and he never reached Dusty’s 2017 H&A standard either. That is a fact as per the awards, it is not an opinion.

But you can choose to not care about that if you want, I just don’t particularly find GAJ being so consistently worse than Dusty’s best and in big games impressive.

Not when it matters most and he never reached Dusty’s 2017 H&A standard either. That is a fact as per the awards, it is not an opinion.

But you can choose to not care about that if you want, I just don’t particularly find GAJ being so consistently worse than Dusty’s best and in big games impressive.
He played much better than Martin in 2017. the Best of ablett was on another shelf to Martin. Martin only had a season or two when Richmond was up a running of elite footy then the rest were good but not elite.

He didn’t have the talent to do it outside of Richmond having things going their way which is a sign of an inferior player also.

You are literally on your own with this opinion also mate. It’s quite universal amongst neutrals Martin is not on the same shelf.

And I also find it very stupid you even engage in these discussions when you only started watching footy in 2014, ablett started playing in 2002.

You honestly don’t have a credible opinion to give. I have actually watched both play their full careers.

He played much better than Martin in 2017. the Best of ablett was on another shelf to Martin. Martin only had a season or two when Richmond was up a running of elite footy then the rest were good but not elite.

He didn’t have the talent to do it outside of Richmond having things going their way which is a sign of an inferior player also.

Except Martin broke all the records in 2017 so yeah.

You are conflating a players consistency with their peak. It’s not the same unless you think Boomer Harvey is the GOAT.

Let’s see how the “neutrals” think in a few years. Most Dusty fans are younger. The demographic of BF posters are older. I’m 26 and considered a baby on here.

Last edited:
Except Martin broke all the records in 2017 so yeah.

You are conflating a players consistency with their peak. It’s not the same unless you think Boomer Harvey is the GOAT.

Let’s see how the “neutrals” think in a few years. Most Dusty fans are younger. The demographic of BF posters are older. I’m 26 and considered a baby on here.
He shares the most brownlow votes in a season with Ollie wines. I assume you then believe Ollie wines and Martin are dual best ever seasons?? He then won a norm smith in a very easy grand final win. Ablett has played games and seasons far better than Martin. The skill and talent was on another level.

It was a good season by Martin 17 but been many better by others. Ablett has had several better years.

Again, I compare the whole not small parts, because abletts entire career is miles ahead over the 300+ games because he is simply the better player.

And again, I am talking to someone who states he is adamant player x is better than Player y when he never saw player y play footy until the last qtr of his career.. it’s dumb

He shares the most brownlow votes in a season with Ollie wines. I assume you then believe Ollie wines and Martin are dual best ever seasons?? He then won a norm smith in a very easy grand final win. Ablett has played games and seasons far better than Martin. The skill and talent was on another level.

It was a good season by Martin 17 but been many better by others. Ablett has had several better years.

Again, I compare the whole not small parts, because abletts entire career is miles ahead over the 300+ games because he is simply the better player.

And again, I am talking to someone who states he is adamant player x is better than Player y when he never saw player y play footy until the last qtr of his career.. it’s dumb

No it’s not just the record votes, it’s also the record BOGs in a season and the fact he got the:

Brownlow, Coaches award, MVP, Finals MVP, NS, AA, B&F and Flag ALL IN THE SAME YEAR. If you can’t appreciate that and accept it’s an objectively better season then you are just bias imo. He literally couldn’t have done anymore than that.

I think you just don’t want to acknowledge it because he did something better than GAJ and it hurts your argument.

But any we’ll leave it here and agree to disagree. 👍

No it’s not just the record votes, it’s also the record BOGs in a season and the fact he got the:

Brownlow, Coaches award, MVP, Finals MVP, NS, AA, B&F and Flag ALL IN THE SAME YEAR. If you can’t appreciate that and accept it’s an objectively better season then you are just bias imo. He literally couldn’t have done anymore than that.

I think you just don’t want to acknowledge it because he did something better than GAJ and it hurts your argument.

But any we’ll leave it here and agree to disagree. 👍
I’m not going to continue arguing with someone about a player he never saw play until his career was almost over with the same straw man stupid arguments over one season out of a 15+ year career.

You are clearly in the minority on this one. Cop it on the chin and move on.

The better argument would be dangerfield Vs Martin. It’s very close on that front and both top 10. I’d have Martin 1 spot ahead of dangerfield in this list

I still have Martin ahead but only because of his norm smiths on that front. Otherwise I would probably have dangerfield ahead as he was the better inside mid and more explosive from a contest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Top 10 Players Since 2000

Remove this Banner Ad

Back