Top 10 Roo heroes

Remove this Banner Ad

All this talk of hall of fame has got me thinking about who would be in my list of Roo favourites. Not necessarily the best players, or the best servants of the club but the players that I have taken a shine to. In no particular order they are:

Steve McCann
Wayne Schimmelbusch
Johnny Law
Peter German
Matty Larkin
Jimmy Krakouer
Wayne Carey
Mick Martyn
Glenn Archer
Byron Pickett

I am sure I have missed someone obvious but am interested to hear everyone elses favourites.

Moomba

I would have put Matty Larkin in there a few years back but after having met the bloke a few times, I'd wipe him off no doubt. A very ordinary person.
Carey
Archer
Law
Schimma
Blighty
J Krakouer
P Krakouer
Germo
Stevo
Sholly

Hmmm.

I will go with

Archer
Schwass
Rocky
Laidley
Pikey
Carey
Abraham
Stevo
Ross Smith
Warren Campbell (Just want to get in before the rush of female votes :D )

There is a bit of a patern there. Love 'em psycho.

In no particular order:

Blight – wore # 15 throughout my footy career because of this bloke!
Carey – no comment necessary
Larkin – best player during the dark ages
Krakouer x 2 – freaks
Keka – Just good to watch
Schimma - Legend
Stevens - Guts
Arch – see Stevens
Dench – revolutionised the way a backman plays
Baker – “Just kick it to Snake” R Barassi

Cheers

Gonzo

Schimma - all time favourite, quintessential Shinboner
Stevo - see above
Arch - complete package and THE bravest player i've ever seen
Ross Smith - class and consistency, very underrated
Arnie Briedis - class, tough, filthy, matchwinner
Paul Spargo - classy, skillful running machine
Wayne Carey - :(
Martin Pike - filthy mongrel, love him.
Byron Pickett - see Pike, add excitement machine
Jim Krakour - see Choppy, only with a better left and right combination
Corey McKernan - (I know it was meant to be 10 but anyway), how quickly we forget
Blighty - could do anything
Keith Grieg - Grace, courage, skill, class, consistency
David Dench - as a little kid, for me this guy was a standout for the way he attacked the contest. Safe as houses but still so creative and flary.

Carey Best I've seen
Grieg Was best until above
Stevens Consistantly in our best & does the hard things smothers etc....
Dench Best fullback ever
Blight Sensational
Archer Like Stevens but bigger
Schimma Like Stevens
Krakour I like both but Jimmy's passing to forwards was exceptional Phil had such silky skills.
Gary Dempsey Best ruckmen I've seen. Never got beaten or outmarked.
Ross Smith Very underated and took strong marks in defence. Beautiful long kick.

Malcolm Blight - No 15 was the number my uncle game me for my first jumper.
Matty Larkin - No 9 on the old Duffle Coat
Mark Hepburn - the reason I jumped on Number 34 (Gimme a break - I was young)
John Longmire - gotta love full forwards who kick goals
Wayne Carey - no explaination required
Glenn Archer - played on him in the U16's and got my butt kicked
Sir David - Liked No 34's. He was a hack when he started, so I just jumped on to p1ss off my mates.
Boomer - Saw him get BOG in U18's GF.
Byron - Picked him to win Rising Star (as a joke) at 1/4 time of 1st Ansett Cup game of 98. Besides, anyone who can lay a hip & shoulder like he can
Hurricane - Love the way he attacks the ball...

Originally posted by Rooboy 34

Glenn Archer - played on him in the U16's and got my butt kicked

Surprised you can type mate!!!

Was he a mental case then?

Great Topic Moomba, I'll try to put them in chronological order

Dempsey - my first roo jumper had 24 on it
Blight - after tossing a coin between 24 and 15
Krakouer - take your pick of which one
Krakouer - the other one
Larkin - guts and skill
Shaun Smith - the same, and a spectacular mark. Never played seniors for North again after Denis arrived
Carey - best I've seen
Archer - everything you could ask for in a player
Stevo - has risen to every challenge
Choppy - could be one of our best ever if his fitness and consistency improve

I have left out so many players I'd love to include, but at this point in time, that is my top 10

Originally posted by Gasometer
Re: first post- Steve McCann....mate he was the most frustrating player around. All remember is him making dumb mistakes. Maybe I was just a kid??

Was my first Roo hero, and living in Mount Gambier we used to only get highlights and the odd game here or there (Roos were rarely match of the day). Perhaps the TV editors did him a favour here or there but I used to remember thinking if we had a McCann up forward and one down back we would be set.

Moomba

Originally posted by moomba

Was my first Roo hero, and living in Mount Gambier we used to only get highlights and the odd game here or there (Roos were rarely match of the day). Perhaps the TV editors did him a favour here or there but I used to remember thinking if we had a McCann up forward and one down back we would be set.

Moomba

I think that they must have moomba. He was good at times, but frustrating and soft too. Did get a laff at his reaction when he handballed to Blighty for that infamous point though.

Agree with most of the regulars and will throw in Johnny Burns (another no.11 gun) from the 70s, hard to split Matty Larkin and Phil Krakouer from the 80s, Sholl from the 90s and Harding is becoming a current fave.

Tashi, I have a game which Phil Krakouer struts his stuff on a Friday night at the G against Essendon somewhere at home. If you want to see it, I'll try and dig it up for you next time I come back. You'll have to remind me though.;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best 10 Roos

W.Carey - what can u say
M.Blight - the Messiah
W.Schimmelbusch - True Roo thru n' thru
B.Cable - look at the littl' champ go (my first jumper had #9)
Krakouer Magic ....loved Jimmy's left hook on Harvey at Windy Hill
K.Grieg - The Sunline of the '70's also known as The Racehorse
W.Schwass - Back to Back Syd Barker Medallist
M.Martyn - Mighty Mick cannot be denied
G.Archer - The Concrete Mix Truck
and the dark horse.....

Stephen 'The TANK' Hickey very underated uncomprimising HB
who should of decked more opponents than he actually did

;)

Originally posted by NorthBhoy

Surprised you can type mate!!!

Was he a mental case then?

He was more just a gun than a tough player. He had about 45 possies the first time we played him and then followed that up with about 60 the next time. And he took 2 sensational marks - I still have his knee print in the back of my head from one of them...

My top 10 favourites (in no paprticular order) would be:

1. Malcolm Blight: Like many first number I had on my jumper.
2. Kym Hodgeman: Classy little bloke from SA.
3. Phil Kelly: First number I had on the duffle coat.
4. The Krakouer boys
5. Schimma
6. Carey
7. Schwatta
8. McKernan
9. Mark Roberts
10. Archer

Originally posted by Dingster

Tashi, I have a game which Phil Krakouer struts his stuff on a Friday night at the G against Essendon somewhere at home. If you want to see it, I'll try and dig it up for you next time I come back. You'll have to remind me though.;)

I can remember that game vividly

Phil kicked the most amazing goal I have ever witnessed live. (including Carey's pearler in the '99 Essendon game)

Night was wet, Phil dodging and weaving on the 50m mark, finally getting tackled but not before managing to slot one through from the boundary line 50m out.

Jim and Phil had few few Friday nights out during the late 80s. The VFL even used to run full page adds advertising to come out and see some Aboriginal Art.

I would have put Matty Larkin in there a few years back but after having met the bloke a few times, I'd wipe him off no doubt. A very ordinary person.

a bit unfortunate about this bloke a great player, didnt take the captaincy too well, this has been due to personnal reasons and depression so give a break, should of won the brownlow that yr.

1. jimmy and phil
2 .malcolm blight
3. mighty mick
4. w. carey
5. k grieg
6. w. schimmelbusch
7. a. aylett,,,, still struttin the stuff for the club
8..d wade
9. d. dench
10. phil (snake ) baker

having a look at the 4 posters in my room there are some great players on this wall that i didnt mention, the posters are from 1983, 1993, 1996, 1999. ihave most of the others stored away somewhere so if anyone is after player lists from about 1993-1999 feel free to ask.:D

Originally posted by windsock

So what was wrong with Matty Larkin ?

Always wondered what happened when he got dumped as captain. Basically never played again.

Whats the story if anyone knows ?

matts first game as captain if i remember rightly was against melbourne and he thought that to acert himself as captain he had to go the punch on a couple of players.

recently has been playing footy in a local team as he has been unemployed and been through a bad stint with depression due to personnal things that have happened, i only know this as my mate was playing in the team run by les twentyman.

My Ten favourite Shinboners in order are:

1. Keith Greig - The Greatest player I have ever seen.
2. John Longmire - Thought he was better than Carey, until the knee injuries robbed him (and us) of his best.
3. Anthony Stevens - Tough, hard, gutsy. A true Shinboner
4. Steven McCann - Always looked relaxed on the field as if he time to get coffee and a donut.
5. David Dench - Should have been Fullback of the Century. A very classy player.
6. Mickey Martyn - The heart and soul of the North Melbourne Football Club, and (it appears) almost irreplacable.
7. Ross Smith - One of the toughest players I've ever seen.
8. Ian Fairley - Great competitor. His goal in the 1996 Grand Final was one of the great highlights of the year.
9. The Krakouers - The two most exciting players of the eighties without doubt. The ability to find each other was uncanny.
10. Glen Archer - Never seen a guy with more guts than Archer. I get the impression he'd run through a brick wall for his Coach and Captain. I doubt you'd find a more loyal player in the comp.

Originally posted by DEVO
My Ten favourite Shinboners in order are:

1. Keith Greig - The Greatest player I have ever seen.

I admittedly have only seen him on video, but this is a huge call.

How much better than Carey?

Remove this Banner Ad

Top 10 Roo heroes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back