Opinion Top 50 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 24, 2009
In your dreams
AFL Club
West Coast
Here's my first post for my top 50 2013.
Each week I will post my thoughts on each game.
Note - I will not be able to watch all games. I will try to preface which games I do not get to see personally. I will rewatch games and may change my initial opinion.
I always encourage you to add your thoughts and I recognise I may be wrong quite often. Feel free to correct me but add your opinion respectfully not with spite.
I hope to create a fairly accurate list (even if it still is only my opinion). I welcome any assistance in this task.
Let the games begin.

Top 50 Round 9:

top50-round-9.jpg

Round 1 - Adel v Ess:
10 - Howlett
9 - Hocking, Watson
8 - Heppell, Fletcher, Dempsey
7 - Hibbert, Douglas, Carlisle, Jacobs, Stanton
6 - Kommer, Thompson
5 - Sloane
4 - Goddard, Walker
3 - Dangerfield
2 - Ryder

I think you're underselling Ryder's game he was at least as good as Jacobs imo and probably overrating Heppell's game.

I know he may be unlikely to be top 50 but how would you rate Bellchamber's game.

I think you're underselling Ryder's game he was at least as good as Jacobs imo and probably overrating Heppell's game.

I know he may be unlikely to be top 50 but how would you rate Bellchamber's game.

Going by your screen name it's no wonder you are sticking up for Paddy. ;)
Heppell had a great first quarter keeping you in the game initially.
I'm not sure I'd agree Ryder was as good as Jacobs.
Ryder had 4 touches and 11 HOs.
Jacobs had 10 touches and 37 HOs.
Thought there was a fair bit between them last night TBH.

As to Bellchambers, he may well be top 50 this year, though it would be a stretch.
I was unsure how to best rate him.
Really struggled up forward but was competitive in the ruck.
Probably would've liked him to get more involved at ground level, yet the same criticism could have been leveled at Jacobs.
Probably a 6 for me last night.

Going by your screen name it's no wonder you are sticking up for Paddy. ;)
Heppell had a great first quarter keeping you in the game initially.
I'm not sure I'd agree Ryder was as good as Jacobs.
Ryder had 4 touches and 11 HOs.
Jacobs had 10 touches and 37 HOs.
Thought there was a fair bit between them last night TBH.

As to Bellchambers, he may well be top 50 this year, though it would be a stretch.
I was unsure how to best rate him.
Really struggled up forward but was competitive in the ruck.
Probably would've liked him to get more involved at ground level, yet the same criticism could have been leveled at Jacobs.
Probably a 6 for me last night.

I had no idea that he only had 4 touches.

Without looking at the stats I felt that Essendon had the better of Adelaide in the ruck.

I think Heppell might be a little high, he racked up a few possessions early but didn't really do much with them. Didn't see much of the ball after that. Carlisle to be higher as well.

I think Heppell might be a little high, he racked up a few possessions early but didn't really do much with them. Didn't see much of the ball after that. Carlisle to be higher as well.
I think Heppell is about right TBH.

Kept us in the game and and helped us out of the middle. In fact, he got more centre clearances than Jobe.

Fond reader of this and am glad you have continued in 2013!

I think Heppell is ranked a bit high, was darn average after the first quarter. You'd think to get an 8, you'd need to provide an impact which lasts longer than one quarter.

Furthermore, I'm surprised that you've left Matthew Wright out of your rankings. He was Adelaide's best player and it would be no shock to see him feature in your top 50 and years end. I'd give him an 8 or 9 for that game.

Keep it up!

Fond reader of this and am glad you have continued in 2013!

I think Heppell is ranked a bit high, was darn average after the first quarter. You'd think to get an 8, you'd need to provide an impact which lasts longer than one quarter.

Furthermore, I'm surprised that you've left Matthew Wright out of your rankings. He was Adelaide's best player and it would be no shock to see him feature in your top 50 and years end. I'd give him an 8 or 9 for that game.

Keep it up!

How much would you give Heppell?
I'm happy with Wright getting an 8.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 1 - Frem v WCE:
10 - Mundy
9 - S. Hill, Crowley
8 - D. Pearce, Mackenzie, Barlow, Griffin
7 - Priddis, Fyfe, Suban, Kennedy, Mayne
6 - Glass, McPharlin, Duffield, Walters
5 - Hurn
4 - Cox, Masten
3 - Gaff, Pavlich, Darling
2 - Selwood, Shuey, Schofield
I think Kennedy should be given an 8. I would give him 10 for his first half but he dropped off a little in the last half.

The rest looks good.

8-Griffin & 4-Cox seems a little off imo, scores should be much closer. And Waters lead our DT and is usually thereabouts with the 50, so worthy of a rating.

Dean Cox = 36 HOs
Jon Griffin = 20 HOs (largely against Lycett)

Neither kicked a goal, but Cox hit the scoreboard. Cox led 14-12 disposals. Griffin also just had 4 kicks for the night. Purely using those stats, 8-Griffin & 4-Cox is sheer madness.

Kennedy should probably get an 8. Priddis was messy but hold his head high, but Kennedy was our best.

Round 1 - Adel v Ess:
10 - Howlett
9 - Watson
8 - Hocking, Wright, Fletcher, Dempsey, Stanton
7 - Douglas, Carlisle, Heppell
6 - Kommer, Thompson, Hibberd, Jacobs, Walker
5 - Sloane
4 - Goddard, Ryder
3 - Dangerfield

Fixed the above. You've got a few wrong in my view.

Stanton was fantastic. Got us going early, won the contested ball and used it well as per usual. Was just below Watson and Howlett and about equal with Hocking as best on in my view.

Walker did about the best he could in a shit situation. I wouldn't punish him by putting him below Sloane, who actually had the chance to do more and did a less.

Ryder you have given a poor score that is not really justified at all. Hit HOs were fantastic, he competed really hard with his tackles, and he had a couple of non possession involvements that counted. Not at all at his best level, but way better than a 2.

Round 1 - Frem v WCE:
10 - Mundy
9 - S. Hill, Crowley
8 - D. Pearce, Mackenzie, Barlow, Griffin
7 - Priddis, Fyfe, Suban, Kennedy, Mayne
6 - Glass, McPharlin, Duffield, Walters
5 - Hurn
4 - Cox, Masten
3 - Gaff, Pavlich, Darling
2 - Selwood, Shuey, Schofield

You're being too harsh on a few. Cox should be up a bit, Pavlich was involved a lot, even if he didn't get on the end of much and was a key figure in my view.

Fixed the above. You've god a few way wrong in my view. Going to bit too much off stats? Not sure what it is.

Put those rankings up before looking at the stats to be honest.
The only one I changed after looking at stats was Ryder.
In fairness your suggested changes are:
Hocking from 9 to 8.
Stanton from 7 to 8.
Hibbert from 7 to 6.
Jacobs from 7 to 6.
Walker from 4 to 6.
Ryder from 2 to 4.
That's not "way wrong". All but two of them are changes of one rank only.
That is expected in interpreting a game.
I thought Hocking's job on Dangerfield warranted a 9.
Stanton could be either 7 or 8.
Really liked Hibbert's game but perhaps he wasn't involved enough for a 7.

Not sure why you'd give Walker a 6.
Sure he wasn't helped by a poor midfield but got beaten for most of the night for Carlisle.
I am willing to hear your reason as to why Ryder should be elevated two.

Put these rankings up before looking at the stats to be honest.
The only one I changed after looking at stats was Ryder.
In fairness your suggested changes are:
Hocking from 9 to 8.
Stanton from 7 to 8.
Hibbert from 7 to 6.
Jacobs from 7 to 6.
Walker from 4 to 6.
Ryder from 2 to 4.
That's not "way wrong". All but two of them are changes of one rank only.
That is expected in interpreting a game.
I thought Hocking's job on Dangerfield warranted a 9.
Stanton could be either 7 or 8.
Really liked Hibbert's game but perhaps he wasn't involved enough for a 7.

Not sure why you'd give Walker a 6.
Sure he wasn't helped by a poor midfield but got beaten for most of the night for Carlisle.
I am willing to hear your reason as to why Ryder should be elevated two.

True, not way wrong, just a couple of disagreements.

Ryder didn't ruck much but still picked up some key hitouts, often leading to scoring chances. He was also involved in a few other opportunities with taps and tackles (had five tackles, Jacobs and Bellchambers combined had two) and generally competed strongly whenever in the midfield. Up forward he didn't do much, but he wasn't really given the chance there.

Jacobs got a lot more of it, but I would say he impacted the only slightly more despite that, and would lower him as a result.

Walker kicked 3 and could possibly have gotten 4, on a night when his team was generally smashed around the midfield. Carlisle did well, but Walker made pretty much every chance he go count on the scoreboard, something no other key forward was able to do in the conditions. (Hurley I would give about the same, purely for the physical pressure he put in on Adelaide's defenders)

Hibberd was good, but just a solid rather than above average performance in my view.

If you're ranking guys who might kick into contention this year I think you should put Myers in. His job on Thompson was ok, and nearly every touch he had seemed to be a scoring involvement for us. I'd give him a 7. Won a fair few contests too.

If you're ranking guys who might kick into contention this year I think you should put Myers in. His job on Thompson was ok, and nearly every touch he had seemed to be a scoring involvement for us. I'd give him a 7. Won a fair few contests too.

I'm happy with a 7 for Myers.
Much maligned but I suspect the kid will do well this year.
Though if he made the top 50 this year that'd be a minor miracle.

Now I know some people are going to dislike my rankings for this game, but here goes:

Round 1 - Carl v Rich:
8 - Gibbs, Judd
7 - Cotchin, Deledio, Kreuzer, Tuck, Vickery
6 - Martin, Maric, Jamison, Batchelor, Walker, Jackson, Rance, Hampson
5 - McGuane, Conca, Edwards, Betts
4 - Henderson, Simpson, Carrazzo, Murphy
3 - Riewoldt
2 - McLean

Was prepared at 3 quarter time to give Deledio the 10.
But he had one touch by my reckoning in the last quarter.
And it's not like that quarter was unimportant.
Gibbs had a massive last quarter but had Judd as the midfielder that kept them in the game.
I gave a 4 to Riewoldt. Obviously didn't trouble the scorers but there was a couple of almost goals.
I realise he was playing a team game but Jamison beat him today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Top 50 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Back