Top Tasmanian Draft Prospects for 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Now that the TSL home and away season has ended, I'd be extremely interested to hear from you guys about which of our youngsters, or mature aged players, you feel has performed best over the course of the year in the TSL. Who is the likely rising star winner from this year? Interesting to see that all of them have gone on to play AFL (with Lonergan very likely to also).

Corporate Express Winners
2005 Tom Hislop
2006 Grant Birchall
2007 Tom Collier
2008 Mitch Robinson
2009 Ryan Harwood
2010 Josh Green
2011 Jesse Lonergan

In other news, Bryce Walsh, who has a terrific NAB carnival, was among the top 30 vote getters for the Tassie Medal. Massive effort from him. Hopefully he can find a spot on an AFL list.
your'e joking re Walsh surely?

No. He's a long shot, but what would your argument be against Walsh?
no arguement re Walsh but think about it, he is around 50% lesser ability than Callinan who couldn't get picked up at all till he was almost 30 and there would be around 100 onball types similar to Walsh running around the country playing at higher standards week in and out. He is an ok player, but I do not believe he is draft material, by no means a criticism of the boy just an observation based on many years involvement in the game.

no arguement re Walsh but think about it, he is around 50% lesser ability than Callinan who couldn't get picked up at all till he was almost 30 and there would be around 100 onball types similar to Walsh running around the country playing at higher standards week in and out. He is an ok player, but I do not believe he is draft material, by no means a criticism of the boy just an observation based on many years involvement in the game.

You have a point, that's why I think he is a long shot. I am pretty sure he hasn't been invited to a state combine, so that's not a good sign. I think Tasmanian players are underrated compared to mainlanders though, and that's why guys like Howe, Hall, and Callinan can slip through the system until they are more mature. Although conditions have changed since Callinan's day. More teams equals more chances, so you never know.

You have a point, that's why I think he is a long shot. I am pretty sure he hasn't been invited to a state combine, so that's not a good sign. I think Tasmanian players are underrated compared to mainlanders though, and that's why guys like Howe, Hall, and Callinan can slip through the system until they are more mature. Although conditions have changed since Callinan's day. More teams equals more chances, so you never know.
I agree to a degree, Callinan earely on had no engine and was suspect defensively so was not deemed draftable (that came from a recruiter and AFL performance manager) but has built both, skill and ability was never questioned. Howe and Hall are different again. Neither were in the pathway programs for differing reasons but showed in the TSL that they could play good quality football that the AFL system would improve on. They both also had physical aspects that were undeniable. Howe's athleticism and skills and his defensive game were outstanding, the latter honed by an under rated Graeme Fox at Hobart and Hall similar, if he was tested I am sure he would have finished top 5 in speed and agility and his ability to have clean hands below the knees was also sensational. He did 3 mths pre season with Werribee and came back armed with the knowledge of what was required and trained the house down, more importantly he improved his attitude, he matured in other words and was ready.

Walsh ticks all the boxes as average (not a bad thing) but is not outstanding in any one area and skills wise is probably a fair way off, mind you so was Robinson so you never know. This season McNab from Devonport is a smokey and most likely Brown from Glenorchy and you never know, Standen from Clarence may also get some interest, probably needed to get into midfield more?

Walsh ticks all the boxes as average (not a bad thing) but is not outstanding in any one area and skills wise is probably a fair way off, mind you so was Robinson so you never know. This season McNab from Devonport is a smokey and most likely Brown from Glenorchy and you never know, Standen from Clarence may also get some interest, probably needed to get into midfield more?

The comparison with Robinson is good, and I think Robinson typifies that tough and hard working Tasmanian style of footballer that will hopefully be more appreciated by recruiters who can see the impact he can have on the game. That's why I didn't rule out Jeffery and Walsh, but neither have draft combine invites (from what I can gather), so their chances are very slim.

I will update my OP to include the draft combine invitees that are currently not up there.

your'e joking re Walsh surely?
Heard afl tas wont be having a rising start award for 2012 or a 2012 academy awards presentation as they have mismanged their funds and cant afford it.
Shame for all the mariner and state u16 boys that put all the work in since october, and shame that the tassie trademarks that the players were judged on weekly, we now as it appears a waste of time? How does the coach meaningfully promote this to the 2013 players when their results arnt measured.
Afl tas have a development competition with a high level of importance put on the academy program and getting kids drafted, however they can"t even run the academy program efficiently.
Again shows wade and young are incompetent, and obviously the board as they beleive they are doing a good job!,,,

Are you talking about the Corporate Express Rising Star award?
Yes , there is no Corporate Express rising star award for 2012 due to lack of funds (assume corporate express didnt sponsor?) and there is definitely no academy awards presentation this year.

Yes , there is no Corporate Express rising star award for 2012 due to lack of funds (assume corporate express didnt sponsor?) and there is definitely no academy awards presentation this year.

That's a poor effort. That rising star award was starting to build a great tradition. All stars so far have gone on to play AFL (apart from Jesse Lonergan, but he surely will also). I was looking forward to seeing who won it this year.

Any chance former Bomber Jason Laycock will get another chance at AFL?? GWS perhaps?
Kevin Sheedy was on the North West Coast at the weekend and he thought Laycock could be a chance to get drafted again maybe to GWS but he also said other clubs had looked at him during the season. He has been totally dominating the TSL and seems to have overcome his injury problems. The big question is does he really want to go back to the AFL but if the right offer came along I suppose you can never say never.

Kevin Sheedy was on the North West Coast at the weekend and he thought Laycock could be a chance to get drafted again maybe to GWS but he also said other clubs had looked at him during the season. He has been totally dominating the TSL and seems to have overcome his injury problems. The big question is does he really want to go back to the AFL but if the right offer came along I suppose you can never say never.

Good point, I think GWS could use Laycock, especially considering he could be picked up cheaply as a rookie or with a late pick in the draft. He wasn't a bad player at Essendon by any stretch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The big dance starts on Tuesday for the Combine testing in Melbourne. Good luck to all the Tasmanian boys who scored an invite.

I am thinking that Lonergan is sure to go (round 2) and that Siggins is an outside chance. While I hope to be wrong, I cannot see our numbers being high.

The big dance starts on Tuesday for the Combine testing in Melbourne. Good luck to all the Tasmanian boys who scored an invite.

I am thinking that Lonergan is sure to go (round 2) and that Siggins is an outside chance. While I hope to be wrong, I cannot see our numbers being high.

You don't rate Thurlow?

You don't rate Thurlow?

Thurlow obviously is a chance after amasssing 45 possessions in a U/18 championship game and did score an invite to the Combine.

My concern is that all our Tassie boys lack exposure to the main recruiters of the AFL clubs.

The Victorian kids have a huge advantage over Tassie kids, as the recruiters will often pick a TAC player over a Tassie boy because they have seen the TAC player in numerous games as opposed to a handfull of games for the Tassie kids.

I went with Lonergan because of his AIS standing and Siggins because of his physical attributes. Siggins has an immature body, but this kid can play and has an enormous upside if a AFL get him into the system. He is a tall forward/defender who can take a strong over head mark and is agile.

Thurlow is competing against plenty of similar body shapes who play the same role. Also his unfortunate injury in the TSL final will not allow him to test at the Combine.

While the 45 possessions in a u/18 chapionship was sensational, the fact he was the "go to" player in a game where Tassie were smashed and his opponent scored goals diminishes the performance somewhat.

Finally when we won the U/18 championships in 2011 and smashed 2 TAC sides and almost beat Vic Country, my belief in getting more kids drafted this year than 2011 are somewhat justified.

Hopefully I am way off the mark as the more drafted the better!!!

While the 45 possessions in a u/18 chapionship was sensational, the fact he was the "go to" player in a game where Tassie were smashed and his opponent scored goals diminishes the performance somewhat.

Hopefully I am way off the mark as the more drafted the better!!!

Yeah, but Thurlow was identified as a solid chance well before that 45 possession game. Fair enough, I live in Launceston, but he was one I was really excited to see in the under 18s carnival due to his performances and reputation in the TSL. He had other very good games to go with that game also, and I honestly doubt many of the kids at the carnival that play a similar role would be any better. I could be wrong, but he has demonstrated he can play, he is a good size, looks quick and agile, has good skills, and can read the play. Even if he can't test at the combine (has that been confirmed?), he would be well worth a punt for any club looking for a solid utility.

Yeah, but Thurlow was identified as a solid chance well before that 45 possession game. Fair enough, I live in Launceston, but he was one I was really excited to see in the under 18s carnival due to his performances and reputation in the TSL. He had other very good games to go with that game also, and I honestly doubt many of the kids at the carnival that play a similar role would be any better. I could be wrong, but he has demonstrated he can play, he is a good size, looks quick and agile, has good skills, and can read the play. Even if he can't test at the combine (has that been confirmed?), he would be well worth a punt for any club looking for a solid utility.

Fair comment on Thurlow.

Certainly he has done everything within his control to have a chance of being drafted.

Your comment "I honestly doubt many of the kids at the carnival that play a similar role would be any better." is valid.

My negative outlook is probably due to John McKenzie being overlooked last year. It still annoys me that McKenzie was not even given a rookie spot.

Hopefully I am wrong and he gets his chance.

I know, I was pumping McKenzie up last year too. I was confident Mihocek would go as well, at least until his lack of agility was demonstrated at the combine. But we did have four go, if you include Darley (he would have went last year, if GWS didn't grab him in 2010) and Hall. So it wasn't all bad. I am pretty optimistic that the kids we have going to the combine are less deficient in speed, size, and ability than some of our guys were last year. I am backing us to get three to go, and possibly one or two rookies. Bowden has to be a strong chance. But I won't make any big calls until after the combine.

Does anyone know if Thurlow will definitely not be at the combine in any capacity? How is his injury?

I know, I was pumping McKenzie up last year too. I was confident Mihocek would go as well, at least until his lack of agility was demonstrated at the combine. But we did have four go, if you include Darley (he would have went last year, if GWS didn't grab him in 2010) and Hall. So it wasn't all bad. I am pretty optimistic that the kids we have going to the combine are less deficient in speed, size, and ability than some of our guys were last year. I am backing us to get three to go, and possibly one or two rookies. Bowden has to be a strong chance. But I won't make any big calls until after the combine.

Does anyone know if Thurlow will definitely not be at the combine in any capacity? How is his injury?

Hi Tazwegian

I remember reading that Thurlow had 3 facial fractures and also a fractured thumb. It stated that he would not be able to participate in the physical testing at the combinee.

I am not 100% sure that this is correct, but given the severity of his injuries it sounds plausible.

Yeah, I remember reading that as well, just after it happened, but it was not definite that he would miss the combine altogether. Not sure how quickly it would take to recover from those kinds of injuries, they are all upper body, so depending on how he is, maybe he could take part to some extent. Fingers crossed. But even if he doesn't take part, I am sure that won't kill his chances of being drafted altogether.

In other news, Jesse Lonergan has been tipped to come close to beating Josh Hill's agility record. That would be a massive boost to his standing if he could, particularly with plenty of clubs needing good hard inside mids who can go forward and kick goals. I am starting to get more nervous and excited about this draft combine than I was about the GF on saturday :)

https://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/148890/default.aspx

Moreover, he was rated as a first rounder in the TAC Cup Future Stars Phantom draft (20th overall):

http://www.supercoachhq.com/14/post/2012/09/tac-cup-future-stars-phantom-draft.html

I found out Thurlow is going to test, head fractures shouldn't effect him too much, he has a fibreglass guard from his hand to elbow (broken thumb) but will still test with it in all running, jumping. Will be effected with clean hands and kicking the most. Good on him!

I found out Thurlow is going to test, head fractures shouldn't effect him too much, he has a fibreglass guard from his hand to elbow (broken thumb) but will still test with it in all running, jumping. Will be effected with clean hands and kicking the most. Good on him!

Absolutely awesome news!! Wish all the Tassie lads well.

Jesse Lonergan is off to a great start, getting 83cm (2nd highest jump ever recorded) in the standing leap and getting 91cm (equal third on the day) on the running leap. Fantastic start from the Tassie boy! Incredibly to think he is highly rated in strength and agility too. Bit of an athletic powerhouse, apparently.

Update:

Not sure about Lonergan's agility test, but he go 3.01 in the 20m sprint, which is pretty elite. He's doing very well!

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/149027/default.aspx

Remove this Banner Ad

Top Tasmanian Draft Prospects for 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Back