Torney

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 12, 2002
Ouray
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Apparantley Jason has been told to find a new club due to salary cap pressures...

Good luck wherever you go Torns

Just another chapter in the incompetence of the RFC

I don't watch the Footy show but my bro said that Eddie just mentioned something about Torney being given the axe. Couple of things:

1/ Surely there would be others that could be shown the door before Torney &

2/ Even our admin isn't stupid enough to just delist him without trying to do a trade or pick up a draft pick for him.

I hope these guys know what they are doing!!

Incompetence, Incompetence, Incompetence

On the footy show it was also intimated that a club possibly Richmond was under investigation for salary cap breaches.

One stuff up after the other, If those admin guys were put on performance based contracts, they would now owe the club bucket loads of money, as opposed to the club paying them a wage.:mad:

Get rid of that dud Gaspar. You could pay two good players who can actually get the ball and use it, for the money that he is raping from the club. You pay your gun midfielder or forward the big bucks. Not someone who gets 5 touches a game.

Originally posted by Harry Bosch
Apparantley Jason has been told to find a new club due to salary cap pressures...

Good luck wherever you go Torns

Just another chapter in the incompetence of the RFC

The club is a rabble, although you didn't need this news to know that. It would be interesting to see how much their membership will decrease next year. It won't be pretty.

This thread

This thread is a lot of crap.

1. It has already been intimated that our club will be doing a reassessment of our list and of course there will be some people that will be going.

2. If we want good enough trades we will have to trade good players to get them, a la Torney.

3. The salary cap scam is a different club im told.

Summary: there are going to be players that are traded, you can't trade $hit for good stuff realise that, and we are not going to trade our best and needed players for others. So some of our middle good players are going to pay the price and possib;y some even less players will be delisted.

It's the price that has to be paid.

Or would you rather they traded Rodan, coughlin, zantuck, No of course not, and if they did then you'd Know we had a problem.

Some Have to go and Torney is actually a good choice.

Tigers cut Torney
10:08:39 AM Fri 13 September, 2002
Samantha Lane
afl.com.au

Jason Torney is the first casualty of Richmond’s disappointing season, after being told by the Tigers to start looking for another club.

After eight years of service to Richmond, the 25-year-old has missed just two games in the past two seasons. And he was one of the Tigers’ best players in their semi-final victory over Carlton last year, when he held Matthew Lappin goalless.

Torney was also among Richmond’s better contributors this year, averaging 14 possessions per game – the sixth best performance at the club.

He has played 118 matches since being recruited from South Australia in 1995.

Torney has been used primarily in defence, but has been a handy option in the midfield.

The club’s review of its playing list continues.

Streuth, Torney was one of Richmond's better players this year. He's hard and a darn sight more reliable than a couple of other flaky Tigers. Surely there's more to this than meets the eye? As jim440 stated, surely his trade value has plummeted when it is public knowledge that he has been shown the door.

Torney's future uncertain
1:26:47 PM Fri 13 September, 2002
Samantha Lane
afl.com.au

The playing future of Jason Torney is in limbo after Richmond told him he was free to explore options with other clubs even though the Tigers want to keep him.

Richmond told Torney he may not be re-signed for a number of weeks, despite the Tigers’ preference to keep him on their list.

Torney met with the club’s coaching staff during the week and, given the Tigers were unable to make him an immediate offer, he was told he was free to talk to other clubs.

It has been reported that Torney was told his career at Punt Road was over, however the club maintains it is eager to re-sign the 25-year-old and is still hopeful of doing so.

Whether a new contract offer from Richmond would satisfy Torney financially, however, remains to be seen.

“It’s incorrect to say that he has been cut, as such, from the club. Our preferred option is that Jason remains with the Richmond Football Club,” Tigers communications manager Paul Maley told afl.com.au.

“At no stage did we say we didn’t want him.”

“What the club did say to him, is that it would be some weeks before they would be able to make him an offer. And that we were unsure of exactly what that offer would be.”

“In fairness to him, we gave him the opportunity to seek other options to see if there was something else out there that he wanted to pursue.”

Torney has missed just two games in the past two seasons, and was among Richmond’s better contributors this year, averaging 14 possessions per game – the sixth best performance at the club.

Richmond is unsure whether Torney and his management have already sought out other clubs, and refused to comment on the nature of his contract negotiations.

“It’s going to be some time before we can come to a firm decision as to what we have to offer,” Maley said.

He has been used primarily in defence, but has been a handy option in the midfield in his 118 matches, after being recruited from South Australia in 1995.

He was one of the Tigers’ best players in their semi-final victory over Carlton last year, when he held Matthew Lappin goalless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Draggas_Girl7
Torney's future uncertain
afl.com.au

The playing future of Jason Torney is in limbo after Richmond told him he was free to explore options with other clubs even though the Tigers want to keep him.

thanks dragga girl..at least things are now cleared up :)

Originally posted by diggler
Get rid of that dud Gaspar. You could pay two good players who can actually get the ball and use it, for the money that he is raping from the club. You pay your gun midfielder or forward the big bucks. Not someone who gets 5 touches a game.
lmao@dud gasper.you really have outdone yourself this time Leo.

unfourtantly while i dont agree with the "possible" trade/delisting of torney and i believe like others have said there is a few other ahead of him who deserve to be given the chop.however we can replace torney in the backline with players like newman,campbell,chaffey etc.

if it helps us keep richo and maybe go after a "seasoned"midfeilder then so be it.

cheers!

hmmm..... very interesting.errrr at the dam salary cap problems we are having at the momment :mad:.I hope we learn from it.

Originally posted by tiger of old
unfourtantly while i dont agree with the "possible" trade/delisting of torney and i believe like others have said there is a few other ahead of him who deserve to be given the chop.however we can replace torney in the backline with players like newman,campbell,chaffey etc.

if it helps us keep richo and maybe go after a "seasoned"midfeilder then so be it.

I guess I agree with all of that tiger of old but I do think it would be would be a shame to see him Torney go if he does.I've really starting to get to like Jason Torney this year.

Gotta go Top 20 surely ... The bloke is only 25 ... has just over 100 games under his belt including 3 finals ... has proven scalps - Matthew Lappin, Ben Dixon and Ronnie Burns, to name just a few ... can play taller if needed.

And as Blakey, McKay, Ben Hart, etc.. have shown shown - a Jason Torney build and style of player can have a 15-year career ...

Demand a Top 20 pick Tigers .... and if he wants to go home to SA, make it Port's or Crows Top pick (~No. 15).

Remove this Banner Ad

Torney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back