Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

I saw there was a glowing article on Bianco at Footscray. Likely he will be picked up going by the previous times Poulter got an article before he was picked up. Coincidence or foreshadowing.
He would be the safe pick for us

I still have hopes for Chatfield in the rookie draft

If we had to pick up an ex AFL player Jackson Hately would be my choice.
I also think Boyd Woodcock deserves another look at it, has dominated for the Sharks for a few years but was always stuck as a small forward when he played his handful of games for Port. I think the way we role an extra onballer or two up from the forward line would suit him.

In saying this though I'd much rather pick a younger small forward. Mid season draft is exactly where you should turn for a needs pick.

I also think Boyd Woodcock deserves another look at it, has dominated for the Sharks for a few years but was always stuck as a small forward when he played his handful of games for Port. I think the way we role an extra onballer or two up from the forward line would suit him.

In saying this though I'd much rather pick a younger small forward. Mid season draft is exactly where you should turn for a needs pick.
Could the club look at Kade De La Rue again at the Mid - Season draft I remember someone saying they interviewed him in the lead up to last year’s draft.

Tell me then;
Who would you have picked at '13'?
Who would you pick this year (assuming a pick in the 6-10 mark)?
And what would you have done if a bid for Croft came prior to 13?
Who cares about the answer to those questions? You think Sanders output to this point justifies that trade relative to the output of a Tholstrup/Green/Leake/Wilson? Just 6 months ahead of the draft?

At the end of the day, if one was to make a choice between Sanders+Croft, or Pick 13+Croft+2024 Pick 6-10, the vast majority would pick the latter in a heartbeat.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if Bianco is picked up. Uses the ball well, hits the scoreboard. He is the reason we stayed in touch with the Tigers, but I'm not sure he's a player for us. That being said, at 23, he may be a late bloomer.

Spicer has some tricks and does some nice things, but he's far too inconsistent at the moment.

I dont watch a lot of VFL other than Footscray. Does anyone know anything about Josh D'intinosante? Just looking at his stats:

10 Goals in 7 games
24 tackles in 7 games (1 game of 11)
Ave about 15 touches.

On SM-G990E using BigFooty.com mobile app

We need a fast tackling machine up forward, for the 3rd time I'm saying jack peris
Yeah I rated Peris from the little I saw of him. Was surprised he was let go, given how quick he is. He’s more of a wing than a small forward though isn’t he?
Not a common name. Is he related to Nova by any chance?

He would be the safe pick for us

I still have hopes for Chatfield in the rookie draft
Safe picks haven’t often worked out well for us. They usually mean an ok floor but also a modest ceiling.

I prefer higher ceilings. If that means a few speculative picks fall through the floor but we occasionally get a beauty then I’m all for it.

Imagine the uproar from those who have crucified the club over picking up guys like McComb, Scott etc.

Who cares about the answer to those questions? You think Sanders output to this point justifies that trade relative to the output of a Tholstrup/Green/Leake/Wilson? Just 6 months ahead of the draft?

At the end of the day, if one was to make a choice between Sanders+Croft, or Pick 13+Croft+2024 Pick 6-10, the vast majority would pick the latter in a heartbeat.
Good chance Croft would have been bid on before pick 13…

There's a third choice - a pre-13 bid on Croft so we have to match, which means we could have ended up with only Croft+2024 Pick 6-10. Effectively the same as Croft + Sanders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a third choice - a pre-13 bid on Croft so we have to match, which means we could have ended up with only Croft+2024 Pick 6-10. Effectively the same as Croft + Sanders.
Except a year less development into Sanders.

It's probably that the club is fairly sure Smith is leaving and wanted a year of development into Sanders and will pick up another first round midfielder this year.

And then West, Cooney etc as father sons next year.

Do we have any idea how well Hateley has been playing this year?

A relatively high pick, hard to understand why he didn't make it at the Giants and Crows.

How is that a "choice"? The club doesn't choose where a bid gets placed. It simply didn't happen. If for whatever reason was scared of a bid coming earlier, then a choice they actually could've made would be to trade pick 13 for a future first.

No amount of what-ifs will change the fact that the club effectively traded two first round picks for Ryley Sanders. In the event the club finishes bottom 8 this season, this trade will prove to be an extremely foolish decision.

Good chance Croft would have been bid on before pick 13…
Except it didn't happen, and who cares anyway. Why should a simple father/son pick dictate whether or not we trade our future first round pick?

Trading a future first round pick makes sense when you know you're capable of challenging in the short term and looking to take the next step. It does not make sense when a club is in no man's land like we are. This is a lesson Carlton learned the hard way when they foolishly traded their future first pick for Liam Stocker in 2018, despite winning the wooden spoon that same year. Had they not done that, they could easily have one of Caleb Serong, Hayden Young or Kysaiah Pickett on their list- the latter is exactly the missing piece in their current side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back