Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

It's Cody extended for 2 more years, Landsberger just reported it -

Western Bulldogs have locked away one of their brightest stars with Cody Weightman re-signing more than 12 months before he was due to fall out of contract.
The Herald Sun can exclusively reveal that Weightman has signed on until 2027 in what is another huge show of faith in premiership coach Luke Beveridge.

The contract was inked on Sunday.

Weightman is the AFL’s No. 1 player for goalkicking accuracy this season with the sharpshooter converting 20.4.

Weightman returned from a dislocated elbow almost three weeks ahead of schedule last month.

Bulldogs fan favourite Cody Weightman will be running around in the famous No.3 jumper for at least the next three seasons after signing on until the end of 2027.

While the livewire forward is out of contract in 2025, Weightman has committed his future to the Kennel early, adding a further two seasons onto his current deal.

Drafted at Pick 15 in the 2019 National Draft, the 23-year-old has become a valuable member of the Western Bulldogs side, kicking 119 goals in 68 games across five seasons.
Despite missing six games this season due to an elbow injury, Weightman has kicked 20 goals in 2024, including a bag of six against the Suns in Round 2.

Weightman was thrilled to remain in the red, white and blue for the next three seasons.
“I really love coming here every day, the people in here make it such a good place to work, whether it be coaches, players, admin staff or fans,” Weightman said.

“When the option presented that I could sign on and stay here it was a simple choice for me and I am really pumped by it.

“I am feeling really confident being at this Club and am excited by the prospect of going for another three years here. I’m so grateful the Club has backed me in and hopefully I’ve been able to repay our fans, the Club and the people that have supported me along the way.

“We’re confident internally that we are building this year and we’re progressing in the right direction. We’ve got great history that shows we can damage really late in the season, hopefully we can find our best footy in the next few weeks and give ourselves a chance at September.

Western Bulldogs’ General Manager of List and Recruiting, Sam Power couldn’t have been happier to lock the small forward away until 2027.

“We’re so pleased that Cody has committed his future to the Western Bulldogs,” Power said.

“Cody has quickly established himself as one of the best small forwards in the competition, consistently impacting games of football with his pressure and goal sense.
“Respected enormously by his teammates and coaches, Cody brings positive energy to everything he puts his mind to, while emerging as a young leader of the Western Bulldogs Football Club.

“Cody remains invested in seeing the football club succeed and signing on with a year remaining on his current contract showcases his belief in the direction the program is heading.

“Cody is a major part of our Club’s long-term future and fans should look forward to seeing the No.3 run out on Marvel Stadium for years to come."

Great news - love the fact he jumped at extending without fuss.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Gotta love that.

Both Jack Macrae & CD have re-signed without fuss over their careers, too, and I've always loved them for it.

That's why I'd be concerned with trying to move them on too quickly.

Wouldn't be a great look for younger players and potential trade targets.

This announcement could've come at literally anytime between now and the end of the season.

So it feels like an enormous up yours to those in the media who were having pot shots at Cody over the past week.

As well as an big vote of confidence in a coach who publicly went into bat for him after Cody did the same for Bevo earlier in the season.

They're obviously very close.

Last edited:
Inside Trading Article

KEY DOG WANTS AFL OPPORTUNITY

RORY Lobb has addressed the speculation surrounding his future, saying he's determined to lock away his spot in the Western Bulldogs' senior side before he weighs up any other options.

Lobb, who is contracted at the Whitten Oval for a further two seasons until 2026, started the year in the VFL but has cemented his place in Luke Beveridge's plans over the past fortnight following an impressive display of his versatility.

The 206cm Lobb kicked three goals from 19 disposals as a ruck-forward against Fremantle, before swinging into the backline against North Melbourne last weekend and finishing with 16 disposals, five intercept marks and 12 intercept possessions.
Speaking to AFL.com.au this week, Lobb said he understood there would be commentary around his future while he was out of the side earlier in the season but said he was happy to remain at the Dogs if he found a consistent spot in the team.

"There's obviously going to be a lot of speculation when players aren't playing. I see myself as an AFL player and I know that I have a lot of good footy left in me. I just want to be playing at AFL level," Lobb told AFL.com.au.
"I honestly don't mind where it is, whether it's back, forward or midfield. I'm happy to just do whatever the team needs. But I've wanted to leave that [contract] stuff for the end of the year and into the future."

Any potential move would make Lobb a four-club player, having already had stints at Greater Western Sydney, Fremantle and now the Bulldogs across his 167-game career.

Talks around Lobb's future heightened earlier in the season when he was stuck behind Aaron Naughton, Sam Darcy and Jamarra Ugle-Hagan in a stacked Bulldogs attack, leading to just three AFL appearances in the first 13 weeks.

However, Lobb – who signed a four-year deal when he joined the Dogs from the Dockers at the end of 2022 – said he never sought clarity around his future during his extended stint in the reserves side.
"To be honest, I take it week to week," Lobb said.

"I want to be playing AFL. If I go down to the twos, I try to play the footy I want to play to get back in the team. Obviously, I want to string games together.

"It's been a bit of an in and out year, but hopefully I've found my spot down back and I can play the rest of the year in the AFL." – Riley Beveridge

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Inside Trading Article

KEY DOG WANTS AFL OPPORTUNITY

RORY Lobb has addressed the speculation surrounding his future, saying he's determined to lock away his spot in the Western Bulldogs' senior side before he weighs up any other options.

Lobb, who is contracted at the Whitten Oval for a further two seasons until 2026, started the year in the VFL but has cemented his place in Luke Beveridge's plans over the past fortnight following an impressive display of his versatility.

The 206cm Lobb kicked three goals from 19 disposals as a ruck-forward against Fremantle, before swinging into the backline against North Melbourne last weekend and finishing with 16 disposals, five intercept marks and 12 intercept possessions.
Speaking to AFL.com.au this week, Lobb said he understood there would be commentary around his future while he was out of the side earlier in the season but said he was happy to remain at the Dogs if he found a consistent spot in the team.

"There's obviously going to be a lot of speculation when players aren't playing. I see myself as an AFL player and I know that I have a lot of good footy left in me. I just want to be playing at AFL level," Lobb told AFL.com.au.
"I honestly don't mind where it is, whether it's back, forward or midfield. I'm happy to just do whatever the team needs. But I've wanted to leave that [contract] stuff for the end of the year and into the future."

Any potential move would make Lobb a four-club player, having already had stints at Greater Western Sydney, Fremantle and now the Bulldogs across his 167-game career.

Talks around Lobb's future heightened earlier in the season when he was stuck behind Aaron Naughton, Sam Darcy and Jamarra Ugle-Hagan in a stacked Bulldogs attack, leading to just three AFL appearances in the first 13 weeks.

However, Lobb – who signed a four-year deal when he joined the Dogs from the Dockers at the end of 2022 – said he never sought clarity around his future during his extended stint in the reserves side.
"To be honest, I take it week to week," Lobb said.

"I want to be playing AFL. If I go down to the twos, I try to play the footy I want to play to get back in the team. Obviously, I want to string games together.

"It's been a bit of an in and out year, but hopefully I've found my spot down back and I can play the rest of the year in the AFL." – Riley Beveridge
Been super impressed with his attitude this year and how he has handled going back to the VFL.
Even if he asks for a trade, he has done the job be brought him in for which was cover until Sam Darcy was ready to play every week

Hope Smith stays. Understand he comes with baggage but he plays with passion and has plenty of good footy ahead of him.

Sanders, Smith, Richards & Bont has the makings to be a very good future midfield.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Agreed. A little while ago a bloke named Tom Liberatore had his fair share of baggage as well. Some blokes are worth it.

Sounds like he’s somewhat happy at the dogs?

Kinda fits in line with what Bevo said not long ago, that other clubs are going to come along with greater money offers.

He’s more than happy at the dogs - it appears what they are offering is forcing him to have no choice but to leave.And it seems the dogs are not budging.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back