Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm pretty sure I know the answer as every year it's mainly the same answer, but has any player nominated a move to the dogs yet?

Crameri,Boyd,Foster,Dent,Douperouzel,Maylin,Cowton,Jones,Montgomery,Wira,Treloar,Duryea,Winmar,Minton Connell,Cook,Buhagiar,Harrison,M Picken,Koops,K Hunter,Wills,Hampshire,Coleman,Toohey,Osborne,Jakovich,Curley,Campbell,Bartlett,Sherman,Bandy,Street….

And that’s just rattling off a few whilst watching the news.

Come on - players bash down the doors to get a spot on the doggies list.

….and Mcdougall

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

the club will get nothing if they send Smith into the draft
Dignity and respect.

If the Cats want to get cute and don't pony up, the club needs to take a stand.
A pick inside the top 10 is fair (up to them to find it) - we and they should take this with a smile.
Pick 18 and their future first is fair - we and they should take this with a smile.
Pick 18 and pick 35 is adequate - we take this through gritted teeth and they take it with a smile.

Anything less than this (ie: pick 18 in isolation) I would prefer the club shut down any further contact and send him to the draft.

Not sure on SDK. Do we need another 200cm player in the side ? Would rather go for pick 18 and Shaun Mannagh and give him a 4 year deal.

Crameri,Boyd,Foster,Dent,Douperouzel,Maylin,Cowton,Jones,Montgomery,Wira,Treloar,Duryea,Winmar,Minton Connell,Cook,Buhagiar,Harrison,M Picken,Koops,K Hunter,Wills,Hampshire,Coleman,Toohey,Osborne,Jakovich,Curley,Campbell,Bartlett,Sherman,Bandy,Street….

….and Mcdougall

….and Mcdougall

Needs more Gorizidis, Lunn, Berry, Newland, Robertson, Pickering, Parke, Cronin, Linke, Magee, Crow, Atkinson, Towns, Hickmott, Tweeddale, Seery, Harrison, Romero, Baird, Bassett, Morgan, Edwards, Peart, Dunne, Gepp, James.
That’ll do for now 🤪

….and Mcdougall

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a few of those were drafted, (ND or PSD?) if my memory serves me well...

I'm pretty sure Dent, Jakovich, Winmar, Cook and Wira at least came through the drafts of the time. Maybe Romero too?

Also, Cowton came to us with Moylan and 1 other (Williams?) in the Dempsey deal. They were pushed!

Plenty did want to come, so I'm nitpicking a bit, aren't I? :)

PS: how did we get Paul Hudson?

Last edited:
I think Geelong could afford to release DeKoning. They might squeeze another year out of Stanley but they have a very good emerging ruck in Toby Conway in the wings. Shannon Neale, now playing forward, is another tall who can play part time ruck as well. They also recruited a highly rated junior ruck in last year's draft: Mitch Edwards, who has been injured for much of the year. So, it's not as if they don't have cover.
The question is whether we need another tall when our list cries out for quick mids and wingers with good disposal.
SDK isn’t a ruck?

SDK isn’t a ruck?

I think they have confused the Cats DeKoning with the Blues DeKoning

Chance he has confused them but he did play some games there towards the end of the season. Maybe five or so. Had some good moments considering how unprepared he was the first game where TDK smashed him.

Think it was a bit of an experiment and I would be surprised if his long term view isn’t back at full back. Especially considering how much they’ve talked up Conway

Chance he has confused them but he did play some games there towards the end of the season. Maybe five or so. Had some good moments considering how unprepared he was the first game where TDK smashed him.

Think it was a bit of an experiment and I would be surprised if his long term view isn’t back at full back. Especially considering how much they’ve talked up Conway
There are a few question marks over the ruck stocks. Edwards came in highly rated but has spent the year injured and would always take time, Conway was taking huge leaps forward and looks the goods but again been out all year injured. Blicavs is well past his prime and Stanley was lucky to get another year.
SDK has been told he will split his preseason between defence and ruck filling gaps where needed.

There are a few question marks over the ruck stocks. Edwards came in highly rated but has spent the year injured and would always take time, Conway was taking huge leaps forward and looks the goods but again been out all year injured. Blicavs is well past his prime and Stanley was lucky to get another year.
SDK has been told he will split his preseason between defence and ruck filling gaps where needed.
Meanwhile Geelong supporters telling us we are far too tall and going after SDK is stupid

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jones will fall off a cliff next year. There is no guarantee Lobb plays well down back long term AND he's well into his 30s

SDK would be nice but our midfield has fallen off a cliff, with Treloar and Libba nearing the end, Macrae and Baz traded.

Buss can replace Jones and Lobb has another good 4 years in him.

I'd be more confident about spending up big on SDK if we are slo getting peatling or something, at least adding another piece to the midfield mix. We've got some old guys and we've been fairly blessed recently with the injury list. Really no saying when that turns around and our relatively non-existent depth next year gets tested

I Feel with the way they've been throwing around SDK the last 2 seasons he's probably not as good as he's hyped up to be. He cant lock down a defensive role and has been thrown forward then ruck. Meanwhile his brother has become a English like ruck. Not a a good ruck but competes around the ground and is good at contested marking.

Those saying no to a key defender - what happens if Jones gets injured and falls off a cliff due to age? Obviously let’s hope not, but do you really want to rely on Buku and O’Donnell? Busslinger yet to even debut and is more of a third tall anyway.

What happens if English gets injured and Lobb has to ruck also..

SDK is actually a bit older than I thought looking into it. I keep thinking of him as someone a bit fresher. Guys like Worrel and COmben from the same draft are actually miles ahead of him now as far as a defender.

SDK is actually a bit older than I thought looking into it. I keep thinking of him as someone a bit fresher. Guys like Worrel and COmben from the same draft are actually miles ahead of him now as far as a defender.
Miles ahead in what way? SDK has shut down and kept a few big named forwards goaless. Naughton is his bunny.

Miles ahead in what way? SDK has shut down and kept a few big named forwards goaless. Naughton is his bunny.
miles ahead as in firmly in their sides best 22 and doing most of the shutdown jobs down back. Worrell is a gun, he's just playing for a side that's been crap and COmben took massive steps this year. once again bad side, they're two of the better young defenders in the comp. Would take either over SDK. Worrell in particular, missed a bunch of footy this year with a busted arm but he's turning into a hell of a player. Doesnt get a lot of spotlight being outside Victoria and playing for a side that's struggled

Yeah can’t say I agree with that. Comben had a pretty good year for his first year back but I think he had the worst one on one losing rate in the league, was very good at intercepting though. I imagine he’ll improve on that as he learns his position but it looks a pretty decent chance he gets played forward since Larkey still has no support. Worrell I like a lot, think he is great but has had some awful injury luck.

I think I’d still take De Koning of those three. He probably hasn’t reached the levels of 2022 the last two seasons, but that season was very impressive. Probably taking Mac Andrew over him but still think he is the best young KPD in the comp otherwise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back