Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Smith could just make his nominated contract $1M for one year. Highly unlikely any other team would use their first round pick on that.

Take Pick 17 and their F2 and be done with him. He’s far from irreplaceable.

Bigger concern is ending up in the exact same position with Jamarra in two years.
The club absolutely has to cash in on Jamarra next offseason if there’s even the slightest inkling that he might be looking elsewhere (or our forward line doesn’t function well).

They had to have learnt their lesson from the Dunkley & Smith situations.

If we managed to get St Kildas 20s pick for Macrae (assuming we pay some salary), would anyone be against that pick and our future first going to Essendon for their pick 9?

Doubt bombers agree to that. They’d be wanting our Geelong pick (22) + F1

Not one trade kind of pathetic that the AFL allow this shit to run for 10 days 😂
The funny thing is they're killing their "golden goose" Trade radio now is genuine unlistenable and I can almost guarantee the numbers are well down on it and this extra week will end up back firing more because people are becoming less and less interested

The funny thing is they're killing their "golden goose" Trade radio now is genuine unlistenable and I can almost guarantee the numbers are well down on it and this extra week will end up back firing more because people are becoming less and less interested
Don’t get me started on Trade Radio 😂

The club absolutely has to cash in on Jamarra next offseason if there’s even the slightest inkling that he might be looking elsewhere (or our forward line doesn’t function well).

They had to have learnt their lesson from the Dunkley & Smith situations.
If your club who wants to trade him in why would they do it next year just wait and get him for whatever you’ve got ? That’s how it works now sure he will be at Geelong for pick 20.

Last edited:
Smith could just make his nominated contract $1M for one year. Highly unlikely any other team would use their first round pick on that.

Bigger concern is ending up in the exact same position with Jamarra in two years.
Problem is that doesn't seem to be on offer right now.

I reckon it's a good move by GWS.
Will make their forward line very dangerous. Depends if they get slob stronger, mediocre stringer or star stringer.
We know the cycle

December/January - struggling to finish warm up laps of pre-season
March/April - chance to miss the opening rounds as he ramps up conditioning
May/June - could he make the All Australian squad after rattling off hauls of 4, 4 and 5 goals against North, the Eagles and Richmond
July - September - form falls off a cliff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

F2 isn't on the table though.

Not one trade kind of pathetic that the AFL allow this shit to run for 10 days 😂
Surely this would impact the mental health of a lot of fringe players. Am I moving interstate, am I back to state footy, do I have a job? Three days only and no more. I think less trades will happen as talks get bogged down and become toxic where as you need to be agile and accept limited sacrifices in the heat of battle.

Not sure about that.

They worked together at Carlton and knowing some people there, there is some tension between them. Wouldn't be surprised if all this posturing and not talking yet is an ego thing.

If true, not sure the ego issue is with Power. Has shown himself to be someone who has a pragmatic position going into a trade, but then largely holds that position. So initisl pragmatic assessment, then largely uncompromising stance off the back of that assessment. IMO! 😉

If true, not sure the ego issue is with Power. Has shown himself to be someone who has a pragmatic position going into a trade, but then largely holds that position. So initisl pragmatic assessment, then largely uncompromising stance off the back of that assessment. IMO! 😉

Yep the ego bit was about one of the two, and not our man

And you would think that, as Macrae is still in contract, it is absolutely the responsilbity of his nominated club to make contact. We shouldn't need to be the proactive party with a contracted player.

Player Managers do not want to piss off too many clubs or they will not have many clients at all.

Unlike international sports such as Football (Soccer) or even the Rugby's, there are only ever 18 options in the AFL
Players have too much power in the current set up.
A change to the clubs getting some power back when it comes to trading contracted players etc will be a welcome change.

Can’t believe Carlton don’t want to give up their pick 11 for Houston
I can. Houston is a wonderful player I just don’t think half backs are that much of a need for Carlton at the minute, that it’s worth pick 11 to bring him in.

That’s not to downplay Houston’s value, he’s absolutely worth it, but he’s more valuable to the Pies than he is to the Blues.

Smart list management imo. Spend the pick 11 in an area of need.

It is any wonder why people despise journos so much. Zero credibility. Zero independence. All just mouthpieces with conflicts of interest everywhere. Pathetic.
I agree but how does anything a germo says affect Sam Power’s negotiating stance with Geelong? Surely the Cats wouldn’t come to the table and say “well Jay Clark reckons you haven’t got a leg to stand on so you’d better fold”? And if unbelievably they did, Sammy would just laugh in their face.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back