Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t think clubs would think about taking Baz uninvited. He’s a known head case. A potentially expensive one. Also worth remembering he’s already manipulated the draft once before in his favour.

The only real threat would be us getting a pick before Geelong and being willing to use it to bring Baz back. Which I doubt we would be prepared to do, as we lowballed him in the first place with no intention of keeping him around.

Just don’t see Geelong sweating over that option, realistically it’s not going to happen. And if it did, they just get Baz with their pick anyway.

We could do some due diligence and ask around if anyone would take him but that seems incredibly unlikely to happen.

Whilst i dont like commenting publicly about delistings publicly as a general rule.
Clarke is in limbo until the back end of trade period (likely waiting on a final call from GWS on O'halloran) but is likely to get one more year.
I imagine keath is somewhere next year as mature back up/leadership but has takers at lower levels if things fall through.
So Keath definitely off our list?
If so why no announcement yet?

As we hit nearly the end of the 4th day of the Trade Period with a Grand Total of 2 completed Trades once again demonstrating how overrated this period is milked for all its worth by the AFL with club supporter posturing like they have some sort of influence over the results.

Free Agency in all its forms provides better outcomes for most clubs now.

Really believe the Smith Trade will be done with this years first, next years second and we send back next years 3rd.

Can see Macrae and Daniel not moving, particularly Daniel, so reality is the only change will be a player who did not play this year and maybe one on the periphery so will not be weekend.

Would like to see us bring forward next years first to get higher up in this years draft and see who is available as a DFA

I agree but how does anything a germo says affect Sam Power’s negotiating stance with Geelong? Surely the Cats wouldn’t come to the table and say “well Jay Clark reckons you haven’t got a leg to stand on so you’d better fold”? And if unbelievably they did, Sammy would just laugh in their face.

It doesn't, it's just amazing how many propagandists we have in the media sucking up to the 'big ' clubs. 🤮

I don’t think clubs would think about taking Baz uninvited. He’s a known head case. A potentially expensive one. Also worth remembering he’s already manipulated the draft once before in his favour.

The only real threat would be us getting a pick before Geelong and being willing to use it to bring Baz back. Which I doubt we would be prepared to do, as we lowballed him in the first place with no intention of keeping him around.

Just don’t see Geelong sweating over that option, realistically it’s not going to happen. And if it did, they just get Baz with their pick anyway.

We could do some due diligence and ask around if anyone would take him but that seems incredibly unlikely to happen.
Doing this would not only see us give up a first round pick which we would likely get from Geelong in the trade, but also use up an extra first round pick on top to reselect him. We'd effectively be burning 2 first round picks to hold onto a player who doesn't want to be there in the first place. It's simply not even worth thinking about.

You’d think Clarke has done enough for a rookie spot if we rather take more picks in the main draft.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
You might be right but I just don’t see it. Putting aside his awful debut, I dont know what he brings. Different players, but I would rather have persisted with Bedendo.

I think it all boils down to this, Geelong have always chased other teams players, but have softened the blow by paying fair value. Now Mackie is in charge he is behaving like an arrogant flog, which he was when he played, and I don’t think that has changed.

If he doesn’t pay fair compensation for a 24 year old, with the highest marketability in the comp, who can play in the big games, then players who have good relationships with their clubs will be put off going to Geelong, not wanting their old club ripped off. Think of players like McCrae and Daniels, choosing North and Saints, think of Houston who will go to the club that offers Port best compensation for him, not all players are like Smith.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Players have too much power in the current set up.
A change to the clubs getting some power back when it comes to trading contracted players etc will be a welcome change.

Won’t happen, the AFLPA has too much power to allow it to happen.

The basic change that needs to happen is contracted players can only nominate a state not a team. The clubs can then get the best deal possible and get some power back.

Free agency is the vehicle for players to get to a club of choice.

OOC players is much more difficult but they should be excluded from the national draft as a minimum.

I think it all boils down to this, Geelong have always chased other teams players, but have softened the blow by paying fair value. Now Mackie is in charge he is behaving like an arrogant flog, which he was when he played, and I don’t think that has changed.

If he doesn’t pay fair compensation for a 24 year old, with the highest marketability in the comp, who can play in the big games, then players who have good relationships with their clubs will be put off going to Geelong, not wanting their old club ripped off. Think of players like McCrae and Daniels, choosing North and Saints, think of Houston who will go to the club that offers Port best compensation for him, not all players are like Smith.
Yep - Stephen Wells always got his man - early and fairly. Mackie’s behaviour as List Manager is an extension of his playing career - arrogant tosser!

Doing this would not only see us give up a first round pick which we would likely get from Geelong in the trade, but also use up an extra first round pick on top to reselect him. We'd effectively be burning 2 first round picks to hold onto a player who doesn't want to be there in the first place. It's simply not even worth thinking about.
The issue with this line of thinking is though that we have to weigh up that cost with the cost of Geelong not offering enough in a trade.

It is only through a sincere threat to leverage the fact that Smith might not make his way to Geelong, that we maximise his trade haul.

Brisbane were not involving their future first with Dunkley, until there was a real threat that they may not get him through a trade falling over, until they paid. They eventually paid because we were able to leverage the commitment that Dunkley and Brisbane had with each other up against the uncertainty and risk of a draft, even if no club was practically going to take him instead of Geelong.

The only way that Geelong add something to their current pick 17 solo offer, is if they have a reason to add something.

The issue with this line of thinking is though that we have to weigh up that cost with the cost of Geelong not offering enough in a trade.

It is only through a sincere threat to leverage the fact that Smith might not make his way to Geelong, that we maximise his trade haul.

Brisbane were not involving their future first with Dunkley, until there was a real threat that they may not get him through a trade falling over, until they paid. They eventually paid because we were able to leverage the commitment that Dunkley and Brisbane had with each other up against the uncertainty and risk of a draft, even if no club was practically going to take him instead of Geelong.

The only way that Geelong add something to their current pick 17 solo offer, is if they have a reason to add something.
I don't disagree with any of what you're saying, other than that the threat of someone picking him up before Geelong in the draft should come from 16 other clubs, not from us given the added cost we'd bare (which is what I was responding to).

Because the rookie list has no bearing anymore and it only exists to balance how many draft picks you can take into the draft.
If we had an empty rookie spot and wanted to take another player in the draft I'm sure we would've moved him to the rookie list.
Promote someone, delist and re-rookie JJ, shoot another shot at another player in the national draft before Tassie hits. sounds good!!

Garcia has a bit of bastard about his game.
By god we need some of that. I'll take a player with flaws if they have ticker and toughness.
Signed on for 3 years

It’s official

Bulldogs utility Riley Garcia will remain in the red, white and blue for at least the next three seasons after signing a fresh deal until the end of 2027.

Hailing from Western Australia, the 23-year-old finished runner-up in the Footscray best and fairest, averaging 30 disposals per game.

Garcia has played 31 AFL games since being drafted at Pick 62 in the 2019 National Draft.

Playing multiple roles in the AFL side, Garcia averaged 16 touches and four tackles across his 12 games this season.

Garcia couldn’t have been happier to remain at the Mission Whitten Oval into the future.

“No doubt that moving away from home has its challenges, but it is a testament to the Club being very family-orientated,” Garcia said.
I’m very grateful to the coaches at the Club, I feel like they are the right people to get the best out of me.

“This is a Club that drafted me when I was injured at 18, I feel like I have a lot to repay to the Bulldogs – I feel like success is really close.”
Western Bulldogs General Manager of List and Recruiting, Sam Power, was excited to lock away Garcia for three more seasons.

“We’re really pleased to have Riley commit to us for the next three years,” Power said.

“After a number of challenging years with injury, Riley had great continuity in 2024, playing every week at either AFL or VFL level.

“He continues to show promising signs in the AFL system, with his hardness and ability to compete complementing his athletic attributes.

“Still at 23, Riley remains an important part of the Club’s future having shown significant upside, dominating the VFL competition and playing multiple roles at the highest level.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back