Recruiting Trade & Free Agency V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do a mock and tell me where? Also you can trade after he is picked can’t you? Or is that only in effect next year?
Somewhere midway through the top seven alongside Walsh, Luko, the Kings, Rankine and Blakey. And no, you can't live trade players, only yet-to-be-taken picks.

I have heard that Lynch to Richmond is pretty much done. So Collingwood will be in the market for a forward. Surely Stewart "going home" will have a romantic side to it for the Pies. With Brown and McKernan coming on this year we could afford to trade him for the right price.

The reason I say that is that it is a fair bet so expect two out of the three to be fit. We could cover both KPF roles with two of them. Either Daniher FF and Brown CHF, Daniher CHF and McKernan FF or Brown CHF and McKernan FF. We also have Stringer and Laverde who can play medium roles as well as Hooker who loves to swing forward.

Despite not playing a lot of senior footy this year Stewart has currency. 198cm who can run all day. Can take a mark, just needs to clean up his kicking. Collingwood may miss out on Lynch but Cox deep and Stewart playing lead up CHF covers the KPFs for them. The difference he would make to their side is worth an early 2nd. He would also be of value to Carlton, Doggies and a few others.

That is way more than Freo received. They got Croad and McPharlin for #1 and #28.
Croad and McPharlin were two of the most exciting key position players in the league when they were traded.

Its the equivalent of trading Harris Andrews and Jake Lever for pick 1.

Seeing that none of McGovern or pick 5 or pick 19/Gallucci approach that, they will need to hand more (quantity) over

We would be mad to trade Stewart.

Agreed!! Has some things to work on such as defensive pressure and kicking this year has been poor ALA today’s VFL miss has been the norm rather than one off, unusual as last year he was dead eye... anyway no way we trade him..

Unfortunately I think Laverde is going to be used as trade bait, we haven’t signed him, talked him up, has trade currency after that game against port? I’d prefer to keep him and hope our fitness staff get him through 1 pre season unscathed.

I have heard that Lynch to Richmond is pretty much done. So Collingwood will be in the market for a forward. Surely Stewart "going home" will have a romantic side to it for the Pies. With Brown and McKernan coming on this year we could afford to trade him for the right price.

The reason I say that is that it is a fair bet so expect two out of the three to be fit. We could cover both KPF roles with two of them. Either Daniher FF and Brown CHF, Daniher CHF and McKernan FF or Brown CHF and McKernan FF. We also have Stringer and Laverde who can play medium roles as well as Hooker who loves to swing forward.

Despite not playing a lot of senior footy this year Stewart has currency. 198cm who can run all day. Can take a mark, just needs to clean up his kicking. Collingwood may miss out on Lynch but Cox deep and Stewart playing lead up CHF covers the KPFs for them. The difference he would make to their side is worth an early 2nd. He would also be of value to Carlton, Doggies and a few others.

From what I have heard there is no romance left between the Stewart family and the pies, they were completely pissed about what happened in his draft year.

In any case, can't see him going anywhere he's the same age as Daniher. They will be a formidable force within 3 years.

1) Stewart definitly isnt getting you an early 2nd round ie pick 20-25

2) Im not sure he has ant desire to go to collingwood with whats been stated above

Hawthorn might be a suitable side for him. Would take the late 2nd round pick but also doubt any clubs would be willing to part ways with that.

I think Laverde is also on the way out, at the right price

Stewart hates the Pies with a passion that is holy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would not be wise to trade Stewart and put all our eggs into the Brown / McKernan basket. Within a year or two we'd be desperately trying to find another key forward. Daniher / Stewart / Stringer will be our main key forward combination over the next five years.

No way Shiel and Gaff got to Carlton... they'll be lucky to play finals again let alone have a chance at a premiership.... Hawks, Essendon or staying with GWS are Shiel's best options... North would be way superior to Carlton for Gaff...

Also Stewart probably isn’t getting a game for Collingwood at present if we’re being real.

Plus Stewart was actually very good at the start of the season. His form though deteriorated as soon as Daniher stopped playing and Stewart was forced to take the primary defender. With Daniher back next year, it is very likely that Stewart will jump back up the pecking order. Both he and Daniher are 24 and could conceivable lock down the two main forward spots for the next five-to-seven years creating the type of continuity that can lead to sustained success.

The general sentiments about Stewart are fine but the idea that there is a correlation between his 'form' issues and Daniher is fake news.

1. For a start Stewart's form hardly declined. He was in our best players in 2 out of his last 4 or 5 games. During that time Brown had a run of 4 VFL games against easy beats in great conditions and his shocker against Footscray was ignored. Stewart then played in a string of games in shitty conditions against good opponents and also played in our run of VFL losses. During that time his possession rate and scoring shots generally stack up against Browns, his conversion did not.

2. Daniher and Stewart together generally results in Stewart playing closer to goal which is arguably not Stewarts' strength because he's only supposed to be a third tall.

3. Despite playing closer to goal he had no problem at the start of the year taking marks inside forward 50 on key defenders. I doubt that the presence of Daniher on the bench or elsewhere on the field had any bearing on any individual marking contest.

4. The forwards rarely do well when we are playing terrible footy and getting beaten. So many things changed by the time we played Geelong, including selection of midfielders, tidying of skills, rocket put up senior players and more numbers around the contest.

5. Stewart worked well in tandem with McKernan as many times as he didn't.

6. For some reason I can't get my head around Brown who is also only a third tall, or at least that's generally accepted, seems to go okay playing as KPF 1 or 2 despite taking almost no marks on decent opponent's.

What sunk Stewart was goal kicking yips which coincided with the improvement of the team. The improvement of the team essentially enabled Brown and McKernan to take better advantage of the opportunities presented by a properly functioning team.

Stewart has not taken his opportunities to force his way back into the side but it has nothing to do with Daniher. Kicking 1.5 and 3.4 in VFL matches tends to do that.

2. Daniher and Stewart together generally results in Stewart playing closer to goal which is arguably not Stewarts' strength because he's only supposed to be a third tall.

I swear I have memories of him floating up the wing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back