List Mgmt. Trade Targets

Remove this Banner Ad

Just quietly, I reckon the Giants will have 3 x 1st round picks this year, and naturally a ruckman will be on the radar. Perhaps a trade of one of these picks will land a good player.

Carlton have cap pressures & Pittonet is a solid option just coming in to his prime.

Just quietly, I reckon the Giants will have 3 x 1st round picks this year, and naturally a ruckman will be on the radar. Perhaps a trade of one of these picks will land a good player.

Carlton have cap pressures & Pittonet is a solid option just coming in to his prime.
curious to know how many ruckmen a club needs to carry

We have Preuss(yes currently injured), Flynn, Briggs, Mumford as full time rucks.
We also have Finlayson & Ward who can also part time it.

Only Mumford is on the way out due to age.

I think we are ok for rucks.
I think it really depends on how your club rates and feels about having ruckman on the list, Some clubs want good depth but some clubs dont rate ruckman and have minimal.

Personally i dont rate Preuss at all and he is just a tall bloke that has muscles , Mummy is warrior and i have always loved him
Not sure about Flynn & Briggs as i have not seen alot of them but hopefully they both develop

Briggs is a BIG boy just needs to learn from Mummy and do the Mummy things

I would say min 4 possibly 6 if a couple are dual positional . Just going by my team
Nankervis , Chol , Coleman-Jones , Soldo , Ryan , Colina (cat B) We also have Balta & Miller that can play Ruck if needed and have done so in the past
Richmond is a pretty crazy outlier.

Historically most teams carry four rucks - a senior ruck, a backup option (either playing in seniors or reserves), a secondary mature option that should be ready to play seniors, and a developmental option. Some forego the mature option if they predominately play a single ruck.

At the moment GWS have Mumford and Flynn, Preuss, and then Briggs. We're pretty much set until Mumford retires and the logical option is to then draft someone.

Richmond is a pretty crazy outlier.

Historically most teams carry four rucks - a senior ruck, a backup option (either playing in seniors or reserves), a secondary mature option that should be ready to play seniors, and a developmental option. Some forego the mature option if they predominately play a single ruck.

At the moment GWS have Mumford and Flynn, Preuss, and then Briggs. We're pretty much set until Mumford retires and the logical option is to then draft someone.
Agree i think we have probably 1 too many as well as our Cat B (Mate Colina)
But how handy has this been for Richmond now

Soldo 18 months knee injury
Nankervis (6-8 weeks knee injury)
Lynch 6 weeks (allowing Cj to play his role & Chol to be min Ruck)

Only have Ryan left to play VFL or back up

I would say Tall defender would be a target but with the talls on the list it would be easier to turn one into a defender (Riccardi)

Looking ahead to season 2022 a possible team]

Idun Davis Haynes
Cumming Taylor Ash
Kelly Coniglio Whitfield
Greene HH XOH
Hill Hogan Bruhn
Flynn/Preuss Hopper Taranto
Green Ward TOJ Riccardi/Buckley

Emg: Kennedy Lloyd Stone Tall not selected

curious to know how many ruckmen a club needs to carry
I would say Tall defender would be a target but with the talls on the list it would be easier to turn one into a defender (Riccardi)

Idun Davis Haynes
Cumming Taylor Ash
Kelly Coniglio Whitfield
Greene HH XOH
Hill Hogan Bruhn

I’d have Daniels in there with XO or Bruhn missing out.
Buckley over Riccardi and Flynn on the bench with TOJ/HH missing out

Idun Davis Haynes
Cumming Taylor Ash
Kelly Coniglio Whitfield
Greene HH XOH
Hill Hogan Bruhn

I reckon Davis is just about cooked.

I’d have Daniels in there with XO or Bruhn missing out.
Buckley over Riccardi and Flynn on the bench with TOJ/HH missing out
Agree with Daniels and he’ll get increased mid time. A goal or 2 a game would be nice too.
Hill will need to improve his contribution or be overtaken by others and mids rotating forward. Love Bobby, but it will time to step up and deliver on the promise in his 4th year.
Will be interesting to watch Coniglio. Nearly 2 years since his wonderful 2019 form. Maybe played hurt last year. I’m remaining hopeful he’ll be an elite mid again, but fear we’ve seen the best of him.

Agree with Daniels and he’ll get increased mid time. A goal or 2 a game would be nice too.
Hill will need to improve his contribution or be overtaken by others and mids rotating forward. Love Bobby, but it will time to step up and deliver on the promise in his 4th year.
Will be interesting to watch Coniglio. Nearly 2 years since his wonderful 2019 form. Maybe played hurt last year. I’m remaining hopeful he’ll be an elite mid again, but fear we’ve seen the best of him.
Cogs form over an extended period of time suggests he will be able to recapture a lot of his prior form. Maybe not to the same level but a very valuable member of the team. His form would look much better if they just stopped him using his left.

Hill just needs to find a bit more of the footy. When he gets it he has an impact and Daniels just needs to hit the scoreboard. Daniels really adds to the midfield. I’d when he plays.

I think that most of us have pulled back from some of the more apocalyptic thoughts when this thread first appeared. We don't have a strong history of inwards trades, so I'd be surprised if we went for a large number of trades (indeed, I suspect it will be zero at end of the season). However, with Keeffe out injured for most of the year and Davis suspect fitness-wise, I wouldn't think it would hurt to have an experienced backup to support the youngsters in Taylor, Buckley, Stein and hopefully Riccardi. The problem is getting someone who might not get a game every week if no-one is injured - and is happy with that - but is happy to come to the club. I suggest that's a narrow set of players likely to be interested.

Looking at the current out of contract list, some of the names there would be: Daniel Talia (ADL - RFA), Oscar McDonald (CARL), Brandon Zerk-Thatcher (ESS), Patrick Ambrose (ESS), Jack Hombsch (GCS), Josh Walker (NM), Robbie Tarrant (NM - UFA), Ryan Garthwaite (RIC), Oscar Clavarino (STK) & Kaiden Brand (SYD). Some of those names will cause you to gag, some won't leave their club or wouldn't really want to come to Sydney, so they're really a speculative bunch. I can't see a high likelihood of us tempting someone still in contract, requiring a significant $ contract and picks to trade them in.

Even if we did get one of those - and we wouldn't want to pay much for any of those -we really need to draft a young KPD to develop up behind Sam Taylor (and of course gracefully retire Matt Buntine).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think that most of us have pulled back from some of the more apocalyptic thoughts when this thread first appeared. We don't have a strong history of inwards trades, so I'd be surprised if we went for a large number of trades (indeed, I suspect it will be zero at end of the season). However, with Keeffe out injured for most of the year and Davis suspect fitness-wise, I wouldn't think it would hurt to have an experienced backup to support the youngsters in Taylor, Buckley, Stein and hopefully Riccardi. The problem is getting someone who might not get a game every week if no-one is injured - and is happy with that - but is happy to come to the club. I suggest that's a narrow set of players likely to be interested.

Looking at the current out of contract list, some of the names there would be: Daniel Talia (ADL - RFA), Oscar McDonald (CARL), Brandon Zerk-Thatcher (ESS), Patrick Ambrose (ESS), Jack Hombsch (GCS), Josh Walker (NM), Robbie Tarrant (NM - UFA), Ryan Garthwaite (RIC), Oscar Clavarino (STK) & Kaiden Brand (SYD). Some of those names will cause you to gag, some won't leave their club or wouldn't really want to come to Sydney, so they're really a speculative bunch. I can't see a high likelihood of us tempting someone still in contract, requiring a significant $ contract and picks to trade them in.

Even if we did get one of those - and we wouldn't want to pay much for any of those -we really need to draft a young KPD to develop up behind Sam Taylor (and of course gracefully retire Matt Buntine).
Thoughts about Lewis Young from the Dogs? 197cm, turning 23 this yr, on the fringe at the dogs. Really liked a couple of his games previously and thought he might develop well. Out of contract end of this yr. From SA, so shouldnt have the emotional connection to VIC.

Thoughts about Lewis Young from the Dogs? 197cm, turning 23 this yr, on the fringe at the dogs. Really liked a couple of his games previously and thought he might develop well. Out of contract end of this yr.
I tend to be biased against the Dogs ... so didn't really think much about him in looking through the team lists. In a team with what I would consider a weakish-KPD set, he's never broken through for many games. The most he's played in one year is 7, in his first year, and getting less from there. We would have to see some spark of skill or attribute to take him on ... I'm probably not at that point with him. But happy for others to have their own thoughts.

Bit of talk Daniel Rioli could be up for grabs. That high pressure half forward/small forward role is always valuable. Of real interest to me is his age (24-25), pace and the three premierships he comes with.

I reckon he has a lot to offer us. I doubt he would be tempted to come but maybe wing time gets the deal done

I actually think we'll back in what we have now.
The exception being if Davis isn't to go around again or there is doubts about how much he'll play and they can land a ready to go KPD they may do that.
i think they will be happy with what is coming through overall.

I reckon the CCJ rumour is just a furphy - something dredged up from the past. Having traded for Preuss, and with young rucks Flynn & Briggs on the list (both looking quite good), we have no need for a 4th ruck. We also don't need a forward, until we see how Hogan & Riccardi pan out. The only thing would be if we were looking to turn him into a KPD, which is where we do have a need ... but I doubt that.

But no way are we giving up a rolled gold young mid in Tom Green for CCJ.

I recon CCJ plus pick 18 asposted earlier is on the money.

That 18 is looking like a pick 12 or 13 now too.

Talls take time and have a premium over mids.

2022 we could see Cameron traded out for Clarkson
Why would clarkson stay in the game? Tbh after so many years he doesn’t need the money

he could easily take a role in senior club admin or coaching advisor and have a good wage without the stress

Why would clarkson stay in the game? Tbh after so many years he doesn’t need the money

he could easily take a role in senior club admin or coaching advisor and have a good wage without the stress

Clarko still has amazing passion to coach .... a new club in a new state with an amazing list .... if coaching is you thing, and it appears to be for Clarko, what better opportunity to show you skills

Clarko still has amazing passion to coach .... a new club in a new state with an amazing list .... if coaching is you thing, and it appears to be for Clarko, what better opportunity to show you skills
Thats a spin if i ever saw it! lol

To be perfectly honest, a club like carlton would be much more atttractive IF (big if) he wanted to coach. They have a very talented list and he doesn't have to make the big lifestyle change. Clarko is a farm boy, he spends most of his spare time out on his farm. I think it pretty unlikely he would give all that up for something he can get still in Vic

A spin? Hardly ..... and no one is saying it’s even highly likely .... my original post suggesting a possibility is simply based on the timing of the two coaching contracts ending.

Because he likes it.

If he leaves Melbourne, I reckon it will be to Gold Coast.

They have an emerging list and if he can get them up and about it is an amazing legacy, whether he wins a comp or not. If he doesn't the narrative is even the great Alistair Clarkson can't save Gold Coast. He literally cant lose.

With us, it is win the comp or bust.

Because he likes it.

If he leaves Melbourne, I reckon it will be to Gold Coast.

They have an emerging list and if he can get them up and about it is an amazing legacy, whether he wins a comp or not. If he doesn't the narrative is even the great Alistair Clarkson can't save Gold Coast. He literally cant lose.

With us, it is win the comp or bust.
Dyl and friends is a great podcast. He did a clarkson episode where clarko said how important getting out to the farm was to his wellbeing. I really cant see him going interstate

Remove this Banner Ad

Back