Tradesmen

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tradesmen

Originally posted by Jars458
Can't see him losing his licence for allegedly supplying the wrong bath fittings or for calling you Princess.

Maybe not, Jars. But perhaps if I spread the word that he is a shoddy tradesman, his work will drop off.

Originally posted by Jars458

I always imagined you as one;) :p

Pffft, Princess no way. I am a queen, remember. ;)

Originally posted by Mooster7

oz.jpg

Emerald City!

Isn't it beautiful?

Originally posted by Bee
Figgy, they still get away with it in Melbourne. The building industry is rife with it.

I'm sure dodgy things do happen to some degree. No point denying it. I feel that I should just fly the flag a bit and mention the amount of times tradies also get the rough end of the pineapple. Just about everyone who you do work for will try and ream you one way or the other. Whether its a bit of extra work here or whatever, everyone seems to think that they have to have a "win" over you in some way. You may think that there are a lot of dodgy tradies out there, but I guarantee you for every one of them, there is more shiny-arse know it all owners.

This is not directed at you Bee or your current situation, but general comments from experience. BTW, I find that it's generally the woman who I have to deal with when it comes down to the finer details of a job, ie colors, styles blah blah. It's a silly bloke who treats the missus badly. They make more of the decisions than the fellas in my experience. (That, as well as the fact that its never the hubby that'll make you a cuppa)

Originally posted by Pedro
You may think that there are a lot of dodgy tradies out there, but I guarantee you for every one of them, there is more shiny-arse know it all owners.

This is not directed at you Bee or your current situation, but general comments from experience. BTW, I find that it's generally the woman who I have to deal with when it comes down to the finer details of a job, ie colors, styles blah blah. It's a silly bloke who treats the missus badly. They make more of the decisions than the fellas in my experience.

Well said Pedro, Christ the amount of owners who expect to get extras for nix is astounding. Got a clause in my contracts & any extra work is signed for & charged under' Variations'. Don`t sign it, don`t get it.
I think that a lot of customers have a thing about paying money to who they perseve to be badly educated, underclass citizens to themselves. To be a tradey & run your own buisness takes at least 4 weeks of study & courses a year to keep up with new practices, bylaws, workcover & tax issues ect. Let alone the 5 year apprenticeship, which was, in my day a long & gruelling experience.
The days of getting 10 quotes & bargaining over prices is over, now I`m finding that tradesmen are picking & choosing their work, if you want to abuse or try it out with them, g`luck getting them back. One example over here is plasterers, they don`t even quote anymore, it`s an hourly rate ($50+) pay it or do it yourself, usually a 4 month waiting period as well.
Saying that, we`re in the middle of renovation & my wife`s in charge, she`s a tougher nut than me, & yes I make the coffee, just overlook the workmanship, as most of the blokes working here are mates of mine, it goes ok.
I think you`ll find Bee, that reporting the plumber to the fair trading board will do FA, it`s a toothless tiger, & it takes a hell of a lot for a licence to be revoked. If your Dad`s still around, surely he can recommend a decent plumber, if not, ask some friends who`ve had a plumber in recently & use him. It`s usually a pretty good way to go.

I'm sure dodgy things do happen to some degree. No point denying it. I feel that I should just fly the flag a bit and mention the amount of times tradies also get the rough end of the pineapple. Just about everyone who you do work for will try and ream you one way or the other. Whether its a bit of extra work here or whatever, everyone seems to think that they have to have a "win" over you in some way. You may think that there are a lot of dodgy tradies out there, but I guarantee you for every one of them, there is more shiny-arse know it all owners.
I agree. There are definitely a few people around who are real pains in the arse to work for. I've heard stories for years from dad about it. There are also a lot of tradesmen who are honest people, just a few who are not that make it hard for them. This plumber was definitely among the latter!

This is not directed at you Bee or your current situation, but general comments from experience. BTW, I find that it's generally the woman who I have to deal with when it comes down to the finer details of a job, ie colors, styles blah blah. It's a silly bloke who treats the missus badly.

Exactly. I admit I know nothing about installing plumbing, or electrical work etc. But I do know what this conman was trying to pass off was not what I had chosen. He was passing off cheaper inferior versions and was going to pocket the profit by charging the same price as the top quality stuff!

It's a silly bloke who treats the missus badly.
They make more of the decisions than the fellas in my experience. (That, as well as the fact that its never the hubby that'll make you a cuppa)

Yep! I would have even given him a beer!

Originally posted by Hollypig
I think you`ll find Bee, that reporting the plumber to the fair trading board will do FA, it`s a toothless tiger, & it takes a hell of a lot for a licence to be revoked. If your Dad`s still around, surely he can recommend a decent plumber, if not, ask some friends who`ve had a plumber in recently & use him. It`s usually a pretty good way to go.

You are probably right about Fair Trading, but I did it on the spur of the moment yesterday when I was still shaking with anger.
Got to learn to curb that temper!:D
As for my dad, yeah sure he's still around and he knows lots of decent plumbers. But he lives in Melbourne, I've moved to Tassie!
Anyway contacted a new plumber yesterday. He'll be here this afternoon. Funny thing when I mentioned the name of the plumber I had his reaction was not good!
Maybe we should have checked this guy out better before we hired him, but he was legit and provided his licence number etc. So I checked all those things my dad has taught me to do.
I've calmed down now, sort of.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have never really had any trouble with tradesmen. I do find though that car salesman tend to talk down to you if you are female. I dont pretend to know everything about cars but I dont need to be treated like a child either. If there is something I dont understand I will ask. Also I find they will try to sell a pile of rubbish to a woman as well, simply because they know a woman does not have as much knowledge of buying a car as a man does. Very unscrupulous practices.

Back to tradesmen though. I must admit that some of them, especially those on building projects such as brickies etc are very easy to watch. Women can complain as much as they want about these guys being perves but we women can be just as bad. Nothing wrong with perving at something that looks good. Admit it girls we do it too. :p

Tradesmen - gotta love them.

We had a group of sparkies over at our place last December because our entire house needed rewiring. They were here for about 4 days and it cost us big bikkies.

Anyway, the morning of one of my exams 3 weeks ago half the house went into darkness. I called up the electrition company to get someone to come over and take a look, but they said they were busy and booked up for the entire week! Surely if we spent all that money using their services they should be customer loyal and send someone around

Anyway, the upshot was I called my folks who were away and they told me to turn off the main switch at the booster and back on again - and everything worked ok.

Originally posted by Spidergirl~RiCkChiCk
My father is an old generation Greek. Women must wait hand and foot in the kitchen, laundry etc etc. Can't get his own drinks can't take his own shoes off etc etc.

How do you get into one of these families?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tradesmen

Originally posted by Bakes
I didn't realise he had done any work. Thought is was just about the spa and shower.

He has ripped out the old bath and shower and hand basin.
He has replaced the basin with a new one and new taps. The basin leaks underneath and so do the taps.
The new plumber who came and quoted for the job this afternoon said the work is sloppy. And apparently this other guy is well known in the trade for bad work ethics. It also is not the first time he has been reported to Consumer Affairs. Maybe we should have checked him out better, but he has a registered ABN and is licensed.

Also this new plumber has quoted less for the job and has suggested a few better ways to do it. So, now I am happy again.

Bakes, a question okay? Are you a plumber?

Remove this Banner Ad

Tradesmen

Remove this Banner Ad

Back