SkyHigh

Draftee
May 21, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Woodville West Torrens Eagles
Hey guys I didnt know what thread to put this in but anyway I was just talking to a mate and he was telling me that people can ask an AFL club if they can train with them and try and gain a spot with the team? Is this true? Sorry if this is a stupid question guys and I hope you understand what i mean..

It does happen during the pre-season ahead of the PSD & RD. It's usually former AFL players who have been delisted (hoping for a new home via the PSD), or state-league players hoping to get picked up in the rookie draft.

Players have to be invited by the AFL clubs and be given approval by the AFL, so it's not for every Joe Blow who walks in off the street.

I am pretty sure that anyone can ask, but clubs have the right to say 'no'.

There are usually articles at the start of the for people having 'Permission to Train' which would make you think that you may have to be a registered 'Trainee'.

I remember Harry O talking about how he literally rang up Collingwood and asked to train with them. Just rang, and got shut down, and rang, and got shut down etc etc until they let him. And yeah, they Rookied him after that. So I think if you want to, just ask them.

Get your club coach to write (or even just sign) a comment on your ability/style first. Some youtube footage/etc of you playing. Newspaper snippets showing your 10-goal haul in the u/14s, etc.

Put together a portfolio, so that if/when you finally get in front of someone you've got something to immediately show them.

Good luck!

Remove this Banner Ad

Training with an AFL club

Remove this Banner Ad

Back