Opinion Vent - Players you wanted your club to draft but they didnt

Remove this Banner Ad

Charlie curnow over Sam Weideman

I wanted Tanner Bruhn instead of DGB in 2020. A lot of Hawks fans wanted Archie Perkins at this pick.

Denver felt like the best available talent at the time, but we're probably realising now that had the entire under 18 season been played that year his lack of athleticism would have caused him to slide.

I also wanted Tyler Sonsie when we took Connor Macdonald.

In 2019 I was unsure about Will Day, but trusted the club with their decision making.
Personally I was hoping for Cooper Stephens or Brodie Kemp.

Really wanted Hayden Young in 2019, we ended up trading our first (horrible idea) but he was taken 1 pick before anyway. Wanted Rivers in the second (we had a glaring need for class off of half back), we took Comben, Mahony & Perez.

2020 I wanted Phillips and it was a pleasant surprise, although hasn’t turned out. I wanted Macrae instead of Powell, which I’m thankful we made the right choice there. I also wanted Poulter and Carroll as they started to slip but neither have really panned out either.

2021, JHF was obvious, also liked Callaghan if we had to trade. Really loved the way he went about it. Was gutted we couldn’t get Wilmot or Brown, but wanted Goater as soon as he was left available in round 2.

2022 I was all Sheez & Wardlaw, after initially wanting Cadman after the champs.

2023 I was torn, didn’t really want Curtin or Duursma and floated in and out of my Watson love. McKercher was obvious for mine.

LDU over Dow, Brodie over SPS and really wanted Hayden Young although Brodie Kemp isn't a bad second choice

Ah man, there is only one big one that comes to mind when I see this. 2013, I am mourning our drop from premiership contenders, losing my fav player in Heath Shaw, but we have higher draft picks! Number 6, who could go there?

So I watch all the film available on all the players and I'm kind of meh, until I get out to the players who could be taken around 10, to one Marcus Bontempelli. There is just something about the way he moves. We have two picks inside the top 10! He must be ours!! Then I read these boards and the rumours are strong that we are getting him...

And then, Western Frickin Bulldogs at 4, steal him away!!!

Now why, I hear you say, am I annoyed we didn't take him when we didn't have a pick before the Dogs? We would have, had some recruiting nerd at Collingwood not let slip to the media that we liked him! It's factual in my mind the Dogs weren't interested until we were!!

Still love you Bont.

Watching the draft last year and our pick came up at 5....Curtin was still on the board and I'm thinking "YES WELL GET CURTIN" then not 3 minutes later "WHO'S THIS BLOKE..HE'S A FRIGGING MIDGET, WHO DRAFTS A MIDGET.....WEVE ALREADY GOT GINNIVAN, MOORE & BRUEST...WE DONT NEED ANOTHER MIDGET"................

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hooo boy does Geelong have one that STILL gets brought up on our board every few months: taking Jackson Thurlow in 2012 at Pick 16, instead of Brodie Grundy who went at Pick 18.

That's a big sliding doors moment for us. If Grundy had played at Geelong, IMO we would have snagged a flag in 2016, 2019 or 2020. The chain reaction was big, too, as Geelong struggled to find another ruckman:
  • Pick 21 for Rhys Stanley
  • Picks 49 and 53 for Zac Smith
  • Pick 37 for Josh Jenkins
Of course, Grundy tore us to shreds in the 2019 Qualifying Final. We still haven't plugged that hole in our list.

It wasn't Thurlow's fault that his drafting didn't work out - the guy did his knee after a promising start to his career. But we didn't need another half back flanker.

Wanted Dylan Stevens (went earlier than our pick) we ended up with Day, pretty stoked haha.

Really wanted Elijah Hollands and couldn’t believe he was available but we took DGB. I like Denver and his first game he looked like he could be anything but hasn’t come along.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hooo boy does Geelong have one that STILL gets brought up on our board every few months: taking Jackson Thurlow in 2012 at Pick 16, instead of Brodie Grundy who went at Pick 18.

That's a big sliding doors moment for us. If Grundy had played at Geelong, IMO we would have snagged a flag in 2016, 2019 or 2020. The chain reaction was big, too, as Geelong struggled to find another ruckman:
  • Pick 21 for Rhys Stanley
  • Picks 49 and 53 for Zac Smith
  • Pick 37 for Josh Jenkins
Of course, Grundy tore us to shreds in the 2019 Qualifying Final. We still haven't plugged that hole in our list.

It wasn't Thurlow's fault that his drafting didn't work out - the guy did his knee after a promising start to his career. But we didn't need another half back flanker.
He's the biggest slider I have ever seen, pick 18 for the best ruck in the draft?

You have to figure in stuff like the impact on the cap (do you get Danger etc) and team balance (do you punt on Blicavs who has been enormous value) but is unlikely you'd stuff up his contract as badly as we did.

He's the biggest slider I have ever seen, pick 18 for the best ruck in the draft?

You have to figure in stuff like the impact on the cap (do you get Danger etc) and team balance (do you punt on Blicavs who has been enormous value) but is unlikely you'd stuff up his contract as badly as we did.
It's rare for ruckmen to be taken early, though, because they are generally such a lottery.

Back in 2021 the Tigers were primed to get Darcy Wilmot with pick 17 but the Lions grabbed him with pick 16 I was shattered and still am:'(. I have known him for many years my son went to school with him and he is not just a great footballer but an awesome kid. Hopefully one day he gets back down to the Tigers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Vent - Players you wanted your club to draft but they didnt

Remove this Banner Ad

Back