Cats fan 16

Team Captain
Oct 8, 2003
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
Am almost certainly going to be travelling Europe for 6 months at the start of next year. Just wondering where people think are the best places to go. Ill be 21 and am looking for places that are cheap, have a good nightlife and good tourist attractions. Have already got my sights set on the greek islands and turkey...

Eastern Europe rules. Go to St.Petersburg then catch the train to Moscow. Awesome.:thumbsu:

Other places in Eastern Europe I recommend:

Bratislava
Bucharest
Prague
Vienna(not technically Eastern but close enough)
Berlin
Budapest
Bled

BTW - Moscow and St.Petersburg are both awesome for nightlife.

Eastern Europe rules. Go to St.Petersburg then catch the train to Moscow. Awesome.:thumbsu:

Bratislava
Bucharest
Prague
Berlin
Budapest
Bled

Echo

Also got Warsaw, Krakow, Ceske Budejovice, Brno, Brasov, Plsen, Chisinau all worth it.

thanks guys. Have sort of started planning a few places, and have got;
• Greek islands – Santorini
• Turkey
• Amsterdam (Netherlands)
• Prague (Czech Republic)
• Budapest (Hungary)
• Stockholm (Sweden)
• Ireland
• Oslo
• London
• Malta
• Portugal

Any places that i definitely should see that ive missed? If I'm going in feb, when should i start to think about booking plane tickets?

Bratislava
Bucharest
Prague
Berlin
Budapest
Bled

Agreed. :thumbsu:

Also Minsk (my home city) is a great place to visit same as Moscow and St Petersburg.

thanks guys. Have sort of started planning a few places, and have got;
• Greek islands – Santorini
• Turkey
• Amsterdam (Netherlands)
• Prague (Czech Republic)
• Budapest (Hungary)
• Stockholm (Sweden)
• Ireland
• Oslo
• London
• Malta
• Portugal

Any places that i definitely should see that ive missed? If I'm going in feb, when should i start to think about booking plane tickets?
Ios is the best of the Greek Islands IMO. So if time and funds permit, go there in addition to Santorini, which is fantastic in its own right.

It has already been said in this thread, but Spain. And by Spain I don't mean Ibiza or similar. I mean Barca, Valencia, Cadiz (or anywhere in Southern Spain). You will not regret it.

Also check out the French Riviera too. Pretty amazing part of the world.

Ios is the best of the Greek Islands IMO. So if time and funds permit, go there in addition to Santorini, which is fantastic in its own right.

It has already been said in this thread, but Spain. And by Spain I don't mean Ibiza or similar. I mean Barca, Valencia, Cadiz (or anywhere in Southern Spain). You will not regret it.

Also check out the French Riviera too. Pretty amazing part of the world.
TBH I didn't rate Valencia at all, maybe it was the heat (pushing 48 degrees iirc), but it pales in comparison to barca, sevilla and madrid. By all means I'm not saying it's bad, just there are that many other places in Spain that are more worthwhile.

tell me more... why was it so good?

Well its cheap for starters. We had a 4 dorm hostel room for me and 3 mates, with ensuite, for about 20 each a night. Was a great hostel, very clean and friendly. Oh and hot women that worked there. Going out is pretty cheap. Despite the locals obviously ramping up the prices for tourists, you will still pay around half of what you pay for a drink in a club when compared to australia.

The women in poland are gorgeous. Krakow is a student city, with about 7 or 8 uni's in a city of about 1-1.2 million. That makes for 200,000 students. That makes for a lot of hot girls. The clubs are awesome fun, and as a tourist you are treated like royalty in some of them.

In terms of sightseeing, there is auschwitz nearby and a few other things. Overall, probably my favourite city in europe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TBH I didn't rate Valencia at all, maybe it was the heat (pushing 48 degrees iirc), but it pales in comparison to barca, sevilla and madrid. By all means I'm not saying it's bad, just there are that many other places in Spain that are more worthwhile.
I felt the same about Madrid. Pretty much word for word of what you said.

I felt the same about Madrid. Pretty much word for word of what you said.
Madrid pales in comparison to Madrid? :confused: Fair call, I guess it's not for everybody, have to be up for art and such, plenty of brilliant museums, such as the Prada, Reina Sofia and so on, also got the Alcazar and some awesome aquaducts too in Segovia, many great memories from there.

Bratislava
Bucharest
Prague
Berlin
Budapest
Bled

Bratislava? Nothing to do there and not worth it IMO.

Krakow, Poland is a great place to visit if you like plenty of pubs and cheap beer.

if funds permit throw in a side trip to Amsterdam... one of the worlds great cities.

and although its a bit out of the way hit up the baltic stats - estonia, latvia and lithuania. very very cheap (parituclarly lithuania) and great fun.

riga was my favourite city in europe during my tours last year.

haven't hit the rest of eastern europe but am planning on doing so at some stage this year - croatia, hungary, austria, czech rep and poland.

Am thinking krakow now as well, as it sounds pretty good from a few people's experiences on here. Cannot wait to go to the greek islands, especially ios. I'm going in february to June...so it will be spring, will places in europe (nightlife etc) still be good? As in compared to summer...What country is a good place to start the trip? Out of: greek islands, Turkey, Spain, Chzech, portugal, France, ireland, Poland, Sweden, Norway, Hungary, Uk.... (bearing in mind it will be feb there (winter i think) and so it wouldnt want to be a place that isn't great when the weather isn't hot)

Am thinking krakow now as well, as it sounds pretty good from a few people's experiences on here. Cannot wait to go to the greek islands, especially ios. I'm going in february to June...so it will be spring, will places in europe (nightlife etc) still be good? As in compared to summer...What country is a good place to start the trip? Out of: greek islands, Turkey, Spain, Chzech, portugal, France, ireland, Poland, Sweden, Norway, Hungary, Uk.... (bearing in mind it will be feb there (winter i think) and so it wouldnt want to be a place that isn't great when the weather isn't hot)
It will get colder the further North you go, so maybe do the more Southerly nations in the colder months and the Northerly nations when its warmer. However, you should only ever do the Greek Islands in summer. They practically close down in winter.

So I'd probably recommend starting in London/Dublin/something in the North-West and working your way down and throughout the mainland and finishing up in Greece in June. Only problem with that is I dunno about Spain in the colder months. It does get extremely hot in summer, but it also comes alive then. Hmmm, tough one mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

travelling europe

Remove this Banner Ad

Back