travelling europe

Remove this Banner Ad

I know it's a pretty broad question, as someone said, 'how much is a car', but was wondering if anyone has an idea on how much traveling to europe might cost. Probally be backpacking aswell. Planning to go for around 2 months. I know you probally need to know countries etc, but was just hoping for a rough estimate.

I know it's a pretty broad question, as someone said, 'how much is a car', but was wondering if anyone has an idea on how much traveling to europe might cost. Probally be backpacking aswell. Planning to go for around 2 months. I know you probally need to know countries etc, but was just hoping for a rough estimate.

It does vary very widely (say that aloud 3 times!), but here are some rough numbers (note that this is for Western Europe - would obviously be cheaper in Eastern Europe);

Flight - $2000-2500 depending on how early you book, etc...

Train pass - You can get 2 months unlimited travel for around $1000 I think. Keep in mind though that you'll often have to pay reservation fees on top of that (which vary from 3 euro per train in France to 15 euro per train in Italy and higher for sleepers trains). The pass is good value as long as you're travelling long distances and visiting many cities. If you're mainly going to be hopping between the major cities, might be better just to purchase individual tickets. Check out eurail.com

Accomodation - Hostels vary in price and quality, and are obviously more expensive in the bigger cities and in high season. 40AUS/night on average would be enough to ensure that you stay in the better quality hostels in each city (and in my experience it's definitely worth it). So say roughly $2500 for 2 months. If you want the names of some really good hostels, PM me.

Food - A pastry for breakfast, sandwich for lunch and a kebab for dinner might cost you 10 euro all up. Lunch with a glass of wine at a typical Paris cafe will cost you 25 euro on its own. Personally, I think it's nuts to go to Europe and not enjoy the food, but plenty of people eat on the cheap. It's completely up to you.

Extra spending money - How much more you'll need depends on whether you plan on seeing the various sights/museums, whether you plan on going to fancy clubs (cover charge is often upwards of 10 euros), whether you want to do much shopping etc...

Thanks mate. Yeah I know it can vary. So basically you can have a decent time, staying at okay places for about 8k all up.

guys has any one been to,

Ljubljana, Slovenia ??

planning on studying there for a semester, and travelling around eastern europe while there

Spain. So cheap, great nightlife and plenty to see. Can't recommend it highly enough.

(I went when I was 18)

Was cheap prior to the Euro, now I beg to differ. Eastern Europe is the go......

Conveniently came across this thread as I was looking for something else. A mate and I intend doing the backpacking Europe thing next year, part of the trip for the Ashes/EPL. :thumbsu:

Some handy info in this thread. I have never been overseas, so am very much looking foward to the opprtuinity to do it (hopefully) next year!

Heading overseas to Uk and Europe in mid Sept

Plan to work when its cold and backpack when its warm

Havnt organised a contiki yet, but might be on the cards if my brother comes over next year

Bring on Oktoberfest

Im heading to Belgium in early Sep for a work conference (flights paid!), so have decided to take a few extra weeks off and see a bit of Europe. i dont have much time and my destinations are pretty much chosen for me. There will be 3 of us going and after the conference we will be leaving Brussels on the 14th for Amsterdam but have to get to Munich for Oktoberfest on the 19th. Ive dont have accommodation in Amsterdam yet and wondering what more experienced people might suggest.

Any suggestions regarding travel/rail or hostels is much appreciated

Perfect timing for this to come up.

Going to Europe in January 2010 or maybe after exams in 09.

I was not sure on what to do, but i have decided that a contiki tour would be best. I am looking to do the $6500 one which is 45 days, 17 countries.

Goes through most of Europe's popular countries and also Turkey, Greece and Egypt.

It looks great value. I will have another two weeks or so to kill, so just wondering where else to go.

I think a few days in London before the tour + some after is a given. So realistically will have 7-10 days to top off my tour.

Where do people suggest? I was thinking of doing just two more countries. The two that have come to my mind are Poland (Krakow) and Czech Republic (Prague) but I am open to suggestions.

What sort of money would I be looking to have before flights and the tour and stuff.

Just on Simple calculations im thinking 12k will cover me for it all. 6k for the tour 1.5k for flights + whatever else happens.

Any thoughts would be great :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perfect timing for this to come up.

Going to Europe in January 2010 or maybe after exams in 09.

I was not sure on what to do, but i have decided that a contiki tour would be best. I am looking to do the $6500 one which is 45 days, 17 countries.

Goes through most of Europe's popular countries and also Turkey, Greece and Egypt.

It looks great value. I will have another two weeks or so to kill, so just wondering where else to go.

I think a few days in London before the tour + some after is a given. So realistically will have 7-10 days to top off my tour.

Where do people suggest? I was thinking of doing just two more countries. The two that have come to my mind are Poland (Krakow) and Czech Republic (Prague) but I am open to suggestions.

What sort of money would I be looking to have before flights and the tour and stuff.

Just on Simple calculations im thinking 12k will cover me for it all. 6k for the tour 1.5k for flights + whatever else happens.

Any thoughts would be great :thumbsu:

Krakow and Prague are great choices! Magnificent cities, stunning women, excellent bars and beer. Can't go wrong. Plenty of interesting day trips from both too.

Was just over there recently while the EuroCup was on, it's amazing how passionate everyone gets over there, was in Germany (Dusseldorf, Koln, Frankfurst, Aachen, Bonn) which was excellent, very near to the Dutch and Belgian borders too so I got to visit both countries fairly well, Maastricht and Amsterdam in Netherlands were tops.

Also was in Austria for a few weeks, beautiful countries with even better women, especially Holland. Was in Vienna, Linz and Salzburg, weather was beautiful and I saw a lot.

Europe is a must and I am going back as soon as I have the time and money.

I found the public transport a joy to use and very efficient, especially the Vienna U-Bahn and the ICE trains.

Krakow and Prague are great choices! Magnificent cities, stunning women, excellent bars and beer. Can't go wrong. Plenty of interesting day trips from both too.

Yeah i second that hoss, just got back from Prague about two months ago and it was fantastic. Gotta check out Charles Bridge and Prague Castle. Also check out u fleku' its a pub that brews there own stout and its only place that it is sold.

Yeah i second that hoss, just got back from Prague about two months ago and it was fantastic. Gotta check out Charles Bridge and Prague Castle. Also check out u fleku' its a pub that brews there own stout and its only place that it is sold.

Well that has sold me:p to prague i go!

Thanks Hoss. Are there any other countries that I should look at going?

Im heading to Belgium in early Sep for a work conference (flights paid!), so have decided to take a few extra weeks off and see a bit of Europe. i dont have much time and my destinations are pretty much chosen for me. There will be 3 of us going and after the conference we will be leaving Brussels on the 14th for Amsterdam but have to get to Munich for Oktoberfest on the 19th. Ive dont have accommodation in Amsterdam yet and wondering what more experienced people might suggest.

Any suggestions regarding travel/rail or hostels is much appreciated
You can buy a euro rail pass, I'm not sure but if you do a bit of research you should be able to get them for a week. Another option is to fly, as there are a number of low cost airlines which operate throughout europe, namely ryanair, easyjet, though you might not always find the flight you want with these two so try this website and there are heaps more.

As far as amsterdam, try looking at some of the backpacking websites and you can book before you go. One word of advice though, don't stay at a christian youth hostel, it will freak you out after a day smoking pot, having mushrooms and looking at hot pros to come back to a bunch of god botherers reading bible passages and listening to DC talk!!

If you want to go to Oktoberfest, book accomodation now, but even now might be too late. Also you can book a seat at a table in one of the beer tents.

Personally I don't know why people go on contiki, sure there are plenty of opportunities to score a root, but you'll have that at backpackers. Also on these tours you have to stick with their schedule, so if you like a place or you meet some cool people you can't stay there and enjoy yourself. Also if there are a bunch of ****wits on the bus you'll be stuck with them. Making your own way around europe is a lot more satisfying, you'll get to know country's culture, people, language and food a lot better and you'll have a lot more great stories to tell. Just my opinion.

I'd love to go there one day. The tourism/hospitality industry interests me so maybe I can get there that way.

Has anyone been on the Trans-Siberian Railway?

I've done the Ulaan Bataar to Beijing leg, in 2000. Some incredible scenery along the edge of the Gobi. Would love to do the entire trip from Vladivostok to Europe, with a side trip down to Central Asia. It's a possibility next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

travelling europe

Remove this Banner Ad

Back