Tredders joins the chorus

Remove this Banner Ad

to reappoint Choco. He has always been consistent on this.

Tredrea backs Choco to stay as coach
By Katrina Gill 4:19 PM Wed 24 June, 2009

PORT Adelaide coach Mark Williams is as committed to coaching the club as ever, according to former skipper Warren Tredrea.

Williams has come under increasing scrutiny as the June 30 clause in his contract draws nearer.

The clause stipulates the Power must inform the out-of-contract Williams of their intentions for next season by the end of the month.

It also allows the premiership coach to communicate with rival clubs after the deadline has expired.

Tredrea said Williams’ coaching ability had remained unaffected by the pressure- cooker environment surrounding Alberton.

“Mark’s been marvellous for the amount of scrutiny and public opinion [he’s been under]. He’s training and coaching as hard as he ever has and even today he wheeled out a new plan for the rest of the season,” Tredrea said on Wednesday.

“He’s always thinking. It [the contract negotiation] is probably a big focus for him in his life because it’s his employment, but at the moment his sole focus is preparing his team to play as well as they can this week.”

Full article here.

Warren turning into Tony Greig? Marvellous stuff.

Considering Mark stood by Warren when everyone else had been writing him off for a while, i'm not surprised he would repay that loyalty to Mark.

I was just having a flick through todays Tiser actually and it suggested that if Port don't get flogged this week against Geelong then he will be reappointed for 2 years. Obviously can't read much into it but I'd be surprised if he was given the flick (unless the Cats smash you of course, that could change things).

I dont like the fact they are basing it around this final game...

Unless the players come out, with a 'dont-care' attitude, I dont see a reason why it should be based around one game, against a team that will thrash us lol.

For all these players that love him and think hes fantastic, you'd think they'd be able to perform better for him instead of losing by 15 goals.

For all these players that love him and think hes fantastic, you'd think they'd be able to perform better for him instead of losing by 15 goals.

Why would they? They lose or play like crap and keep getting picked, why try harder :)

I am on the Choco to Baghdad bandwagon (Joke) but if Choco is going to change his team's style of play eg more physical, direct and confident brand of football eg not be afraid of a contested situation, then I am all for him staying. Otherwise there's the door Choco as I don't know how many more games I can go to being bored wishing I wasn't htere but at home doing something else!

Of the players that have publicaly supported choco, how many are currently in the 22 and underperforming?

Can't tell you, it wasn't a jab at Tredrea, but whose come out and supported him to start with?

I can think of Motlop this year started high to recently being injured but before injury wasn't playing that great.

Shaun B, once again injured, but before that was he performing that well?

Chad, once again injured, was he performing to his standards? Probably not but can't recall whether he said pick Choco or just make a bloody decision.

If Peter B, J Carr, B Lade, B Ebert & D Pearce, Pettigrew, Rodan have come out supporting too well then I would have then underperfomring on the season so far too. Alot of these guys when it comes to underperfomring, I would say it's from the perspective of consistency expected based on past performances, which just isn't happening.

You have to look at these players motives-

Tredrea - a new coach would probably mean the end of his career

Cornes - he said he wants chocco to be reappointed for 2 more years, End of 2011, probably when cornes will be gone too.

Players don't want to have to deal with the idea of having a new coach.

I was responding to macca's comment as it occured to me that many of the players that have publically supported choco are on the injury list - an odd coincidence. the only exception i can think of is possibly lade.

it doesn't excuse the players though, if they did support him, you'd expect a better performance than a 15 goal loss.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our team allows friendship get in the way of what is best for the club.

For **** sakes, we let the players choose the captain (not saying dom was the wrong choice).

Chad & Tredrea, our two most well-known leaders, voicing for choco to be offered a new contract.

Let the club deal with it for **** sakes and shut the **** up whilst concentrating on playing some decent football please.

Another thing, many of our players have been asked directly about choco - so what response would we expect?

If a player supports the coach it looks bad as the player should focus on his footy - If a player doesn't answer or doesn't want to get involved, it looks worse as the media will go crazy saying the coach has lost the players.

Bit of a catch 22 for the players imo

Our team allows friendship get in the way of what is best for the club.

For **** sakes, we let the players choose the captain (not saying dom was the wrong choice).

Chad & Tredrea, our two most well-known leaders, voicing for choco to be offered a new contract.

Let the club deal with it for **** sakes and shut the **** up whilst concentrating on playing some decent football please.
Agree wholeheartedly.

It's been a modern trend these days to have leadership groups and emergency team meetings radity rah, rah. Players have far too much influence on the day to day running and administration of clubs IMO.

My manager resigned to get another job recently. It would be akin to me reappointing my own manager - who am I going to pick? The one that is the easiest on me and would give me a pay rise, not the one that would get the most out of me productivity wise.

Players should be seen and not heard when it comes to board elections, coaching appointments and captain appointments.

Another thing, many of our players have been asked directly about choco - so what response would we expect?

If a player supports the coach it looks bad as the player should focus on his footy - If a player doesn't answer or doesn't want to get involved, it looks worse as the media will go crazy saying the coach has lost the players.

Oh so true!!

These types of questions from reporters and journalists are as simple as you can get that a simple 5th grader would ask.

If I was asked that type of question, i would respond with a question or respond giving an answer leading them on a different trail.

Exactly, Forzaport.

And any player currently supporting Choco will also support a new coach if they want to get a game next week.

Agree wholeheartedly.

It's been a modern trend these days to have leadership groups and emergency team meetings radity rah, rah. Players have far too much influence on the day to day running and administration of clubs IMO.

My manager resigned to get another job recently. It would be akin to me reappointing my own manager - who am I going to pick? The one that is the easiest on me and would give me a pay rise, not the one that would get the most out of me productivity wise.

Players should be seen and not heard when it comes to board elections, coaching appointments and captain appointments.

In a closed team environment, not true. So not true.

Where the team performance is so unambiguously measured, and the contributions of the individuals to the team is so clearly, publicly and openly debated, and your future was VERY dependent on the performance of the team, it is proven that people would predominately opt for the best leader rather than the one that is easiest to get along with.

In fact, the best way to put off individuals in a team is to give them NO input in these decisions.

Where the team performance is so unambiguously measured, and the contributions of the individuals to the team is so clearly, publicly and openly debated, and your future was VERY dependent on the performance of the team, it is proven that people would predominately opt for the best leader rather than the one that is easiest to get along with.
I didn't mean easiest to get along with, I meant the one that would be easiest on me in terms of my future.

In other words, and within the scope of the discussion we were having, players will pick or recommend a coach that they think will ensure they can keep playing, not the one that will necessarily ensure success.

Do we really think a player will choose a coach that would sack them for the betterment of the team?

In fact, the best way to put off individuals in a team is to give them NO input in these decisions.
Page 136 of "Best Practice Management Principles 101"?

Players should have ZERO input on who their coach is. Zilch. Nada. None.

I agree - but the team will never pick the coach... and on a slightly different slant... I would pick the manager who is a good leader and also whom I believed to be fair-minded; who would assist my development if that's what I want; who trusts me to do my job; who challenges me etc etc. If you want to go nowhere and slack off on the job, then select the soft option. (I feel a little weird typing this in working hours, although performing my role admirably as always :p).

I agree, but there has also been another shift. At first every man and his dog was supporting Choco, then it went quiet (almost as if there was a gag order on the players) and now it has resurfaced again. Granted it is getting closer to the decision time, but I get the feeling Choco will be offered a new contract.

Remove this Banner Ad

Tredders joins the chorus

Remove this Banner Ad

Back