• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You Heard Me

Team Captain
Suspended
Sep 17, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
A young gun. Now captain of Richmond. Is there a harder job?? Massive club, huge support, but never play finals. The pressure must be immense for such a young captain. And now his game is suffering. He is still trying his heart out, but his disposal and decision making has absolutely gone to the crap heap.
Would it have been better to keep the captaincy from him? Let an older head handle the pressure associated with him and let the kid grow as a football and Improve his skills?
Thoughts?
BTW - I was thinking Newman keep it or Lids or even Tucky

His first 5 matches as captain were very good. Perhaps watch some more footy mate so you dont look so poorly informed - "geez i know everything after watching the Saturday night game on tv". :rolleyes:

Did you see him post that intercept kick to Hawkins? Looks like the weight of the world is on his shoulders. It would be a hard gig being a Tiger captain with supporters desperate for a decent team who can make the 8. Don't underestimate the pressure this kid will be under. And it can only grow as the losses mount. I think the decision may end up hurting his game.

I said in another thread that he wasn't an elite player in the comp. Why are Richmond fans so precious?

His first 5 matches as captain were very good. Perhaps watch some more footy mate so you dont look so poorly informed - "geez i know everything after watching the Saturday night game on tv". :rolleyes:

Knowing its a high pressure gig is not being poorly informed. Noticing a massive decline in disposal skills over the last few games is also not poorly informed. I have seen it all before at Richmond and we all hope Cotch doesn't go the same way.

Isn't Nick Maxwell your captain? :eek:

He's a premiership captain of a club that contends on a regular basis. You can't compare the two clubs when it comes to on field and off field success and stability. So if you judge us by our Captains football prowess then you may never get it.

I said in another thread that he wasn't an elite player in the comp. Why are Richmond fans so precious?

Depends how you rate elite?? He was one of the best 3-4 players last year, so he was elite in 2012.
This year I wouldn't have him in the best 20, but he's still been very good....when they have been winning.
As the losses mount and the pressure rises, does he have the ability to cope with the outside pressure and stay elite. I doubt it. A- Because its a club desperate for success and the fans will really run wild. And B. he does not posses great disposal. This will hurt as the pressure mounts.
Interesting Times ahead!

He's a premiership captain of a club that contends on a regular basis. You can't compare the two clubs when it comes to on field and off field success and stability. So if you judge us by our Captains football prowess then you may never get it.

If you think Trent Cotchin struggles with the pressures of leadership then you clearly know nothing about the guy.

Your conclusion that his game is suffering is absolute rubbish anyway.

If you think Trent Cotchin struggles with the pressures of leadership then you clearly know nothing about the guy.

Your conclusion that his game is suffering is absolute rubbish anyway.

He's been captain for about 10 seconds, so we all just learning how he copes. So far his disposal is the first danger sign!

Being knocked around by the hard tag week in, week out. Very hard to have great disposal when your ridden around like a pony every week.
Very similar to Judd in this sense. Needs some protection around the ball from his fellow players. Probably too "in and under" at the moment. Needs some of the grunts like Tuck to wear the hits a bit more.
Just hope the wear and tear doesn't wreck his body before we see his best.

Gets no protection/support from taggers. Same with Delidio. He wasn't great last night but still tried his guts out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed. I can see the Judd correlation.
But can you imagine how hard it is being a young Richmond captain? You wouldn't wish it upon your worst enemy. Have you seen the fans as they boo them off after another loss. It's rabid!
Would they have been served better to pretext him. Protect his game and spirit.
I don't think I like where this will end..

Yet another shit thread from one of the biggest failure posters on bigfooty

You're jaded. Play the topic, not the man. His disposal and captaincy pressure is a topic. Watch all the footy shows this week focus on both. The turnover and ashen post face will be seen over and over.
I just got in first. You heard me.

Did you see him post that intercept kick to Hawkins? Looks like the weight of the world is on his shoulders.
That kick had nothing to do with him taking on the captaincy. It was just a terrible kick. In his years as captain of the Blues, I've seen Judd burst out of packs and chip the ball 20m straight to the opposition. Relinquishing the captaincy made no difference. It's called human error.

Cotchin is probably the most overrated player I have ever seen, good player when he's having a good day, a bad day results in poor kicking/decision making that often cost goals. Unfortunately they don't have much down there in captaincy material besides him.

That kick had nothing to do with him taking on the captaincy. It was just a terrible kick. In his years as captain of the Blues, I've seen Judd burst out of packs and chip the ball 20m straight to the opposition. Relinquishing the captaincy made no difference. It's called human error.

In isolation the kick didn't. But it's about to become a bigger issue. No other club could have lost to Freo in the dying minutes last week in that way. The leaders on field would have stacked the backline. No other club would have shown such lack of discipline last night, its leaders would have taken control of the situation. Cotchin is the captian. Like it or not, that is where the buck stops. And on this little two week leadership debacle, we have a player looking like James Manson when it comes to skills. Basic ones.
This will gather momentum. It's big. Don't hide from it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trent Cotchin

Back