Trent Cotchin

Captain Cotchin or Riewoldt for 2016

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Reminds me a bit of Brett Kirk actually, but Rawlings was another I guess. Does need to add a bit offensively but that will come as he is only new to the role. People bagged North when you traded for him but he is one of the trades you got right.

Yep, fair calls. Jacobs has a booming kick, I suspect when he's more experienced in the role he'll look to hurt his opponent going the other way.

Yep, fair calls. Jacobs has a booming kick, I suspect when he's more experienced in the role he'll look to hurt his opponent going the other way.

Yep, it will happen. Look at Kirk or for that matter Ryan Crowley. Both started just like Jacobs. Negating, defensive run with players. They both developed the ability to get the ball themselves, Kirk more than most as he got an AA spot. Jacobs is a pretty versatile player actually.

Every supporter thinks their team's tagger isn't a scragger.

Yes they are.

No doubt Jacobs plays a hard defensive game and so he should, but he's no Libba or Stevie Baker.

His (in)ability to handle a tag lately is quite strange considering he handled it very well in his earlier years. In his 2012 season there was a game where he absolutely lit up the Dogs (35 possesions, 3 goals) with Picken scragging him pretty hard. In fact he was even the first target when opposition teams would run a tagger back in 2010/11 and had no issues with it. The thing I noticed on the weekend was that he wasn't throwing himself into the contest like he has in the past (Sydney game this year). In the past, when a game was starting to slip away, his attack on the ball would be manic with multiple efforts. We didn't see that on Sunday.

His weakest year since 2010 really. Will poll about 13 votes.

His (in)ability to handle a tag lately is quite strange considering he handled it very well in his earlier years. In his 2012 season there was a game where he absolutely lit up the Dogs (35 possesions, 3 goals) with Picken scragging him pretty hard. In fact he was even the first target when opposition teams would run a tagger back in 2010/11 and had no issues with it. The thing I noticed on the weekend was that he wasn't throwing himself into the contest like he has in the past (Sydney game this year). In the past, when a game was starting to slip away, his attack on the ball would be manic with multiple efforts. We didn't see that on Sunday.

His weakest year since 2010 really. Will poll about 13 votes.
He was tagged heavily in the 2013 EF and got 26 disposals and 2 goals.

Yep, it will happen. Look at Kirk or for that matter Ryan Crowley. Both started just like Jacobs. Negating, defensive run with players. They both developed the ability to get the ball themselves, Kirk more than most as he got an AA spot. Jacobs is a pretty versatile player actually.

Jacobs a classic case of a bloke with heaps of talent - 1st rounder - but not the size or speed to slot immediately into a midfield role, or running half back. Needed to find his niche, now he has, can work his more offensive traits into his game.

Took a very nice pack mark on the weekend.

That's right. Jobe Watson didn't receive a suspension or reprimand during the 2012 season and thus was awarded the league's best and fairest award.

Thanks for clearing it up finally.
We are still waiting on the outcome of the CAS appeal on whether his abilities were illegally enhanced, if convicted will he run off to Europe with his medal or do the manly thing and hand it back to the AFL?

Reminds me a bit of Brett Kirk actually, but Rawlings was another I guess. Does need to add a bit offensively but that will come as he is only new to the role. People bagged North when you traded for him but he is one of the trades you got right.
Wasn't a direct trade but love the sentiment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm really struggling to think of a player in the league whose weaknesses are so outrageously overlooked by the supporters of his team more than Trent Cotchin's are.

He's been good-average for 3 seasons now - certainly no where near the heights or consistency of his 2012 year. He's an average kick, gets too many cheap 1-2 junk possessions, struggles to break a tag, and doesn't put in the regular performances that you'd expect from a supposed A-grader like him. Yet they (Richmond supporters) still think of him as this "obscenely good footballer" when nowadays he just really isn't.

Maybe he'll get back to reproducing the form of his fantastic 2012 season, but until he does I'm sure Richmond supporters will find some more excuses as to why he isn't (the knee injury from 2 years ago no longer flies).
So almost exactly like Jobe Watson

He had a poor game. Won't be the last bloke to have a poor final. It happens. Surely some credit has to go to Jacobs? He was fantastic in the negating tagger role.

It happens but the performance was almost legendary in its statistical futility.
In the last 100 AFL finals matches here is the list of captains with less than 10 disposals:

2015: Cotchin - 9
2011: Glass - 4 (is a full back)
2009: Harley - 5 (64% GT)
2008: N Riewoldt - 9
2007: Riccuito - 4 (36% GT, final game, cooked)
2006: Neitz - 8 (3 goals), Barry - 8 (is a full back)
2005: B Hall - 9
2004: Tredrea - 9 (3 goals)

Including Swans multi captain policy that is about 220 "captains knocks" where only nine have been held to under 10 disposals including four key forwards, two key defenders, and two injured players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trent Cotchin

Back