triple J Hottest 100 of 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

At this stage, not much, given Goal of the Century finished way lower than expected too.
Worth noting both angel of 8th ave and Sunscreen underperformed as well last year.

I’m thinking that while they have more votes, it’s possibly even more skewed as a result. Mainly due to having to put in your votes to view the site early on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So after some discussion by us old fogies in previous years whether the Hottest 100 is getting worse compared to our glory days, I've been on a mission the last 18 months or so to listen to every Hottest 100 ever on Spotify, and keep track of how many songs I deemed 'like-worthy'.

The results:

View attachment 1593603

Some notes:

- I had these playing during my gym time so I literally listened to every minute of every song. I wasn't just sitting down at the computer listening to the first 30 seconds then quickly moving on. Every song got a fair trial.

- Unsurprisingly, music happened to coincidentally peak with my teenage/early 20's years. :cool:

- But seriously, I'd be very interested in one of the teenage/early 20 somethings on here repeating this experiment and seeing their results from those early years before they were even born.

- It felt like there was much more variety and 'alternative' stuff in the earlier years. I wasn't keeping notes as I went but I remember feeling like somewhere in that mid 2000s to mid 2010s period it became a really dull homogenous repetition of soft ballad stuff plus Parkway Drive. Then it started to get a bit more varied again in the last 5 years or so.

It is interesting the different perceptions you get from different generations.

I'm in my early 30s (so was teenage/early 20 something in the late 00s/early 10s) and have listened to all the countdowns as well.

I notice you rate 1999 quite highly (third best on your chart with 32 songs), but personally I don't find that year to be anything special. Bands like Limp Bizkit, Korn, Green Day, Bush, Sugar Ray, The Offspring, Blink-182, Bloodhound Gang, Bodyjar, The Living End, Machine Gun Fellatio, Area-7, Pennywise, Frenzal Rhomb etc. seem to dominate that countdown and these acts are just not that good when you don't have any "teenage nostalgia" attached to them IMO.

On the contrary, I thought 2013 was a great year (one you rate quite poorly with only 12 songs) with plenty of good tunes from the likes of Arctic Monkeys, Daft Punk, Queens of the Stone Age, James Blake, Kanye West, Lorde, Disclosure, London Grammar, Haim, Childish Gambino, Arcade Fire, Chvrches etc. making the count that year. But again, maybe this countdown resonates more with my generation.

I'm also interested in what you define to be "alternative stuff" in the earlier years. I actually find the early years to be dominated by songs that get mainstream radio play on stations like Triple M, whereas songs from the mid 2000s to mid 2010s countdown period generally seem to be much more "underground" relatively speaking.

Last edited:
which is weird because they’ve had a bigger collection of votes sent to them than they have the last two years, so you’d think it’s be slightly more accurate if anything
I talked about this somewhere. He has changed his methodology with regards to data collection this year (which is why he has a larger sample size). I wondered if this change would be problematic. It's early days, but it's looking less accurate this year.

Today was the first time I'd heard Sirens by Flume and I think it might be the worst song I've ever heard in my life.
I wouldn't go that far, but it's very disjointed. The wonky production and the vocals don't mix well at all, which is a shame because Caroline is usually a great singer (listen to her album Pang and I Belong In Your Arms by Chairlift). If anything, my main issue is with Flume who I don't think I'll ever get.

Remove this Banner Ad

triple J Hottest 100 of 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Back