Triple J Hottest 100 of the last 20 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Champagne Supernova, Don't Look Back in Anger, Live Forever, Wonderwall are all great songs. Guess which one is tired from being overplayed?

My vote goes to Don't Look Back in Anger, or the acoustic version of Live Forever.

Champagne Supernova, Don't Look Back in Anger, Live Forever, Wonderwall are all great songs. Guess which one is tired from being overplayed?

My vote goes to Don't Look Back in Anger, or the acoustic version of Live Forever.

It all came down to which was more commercially successful...The Smashing Pumpkins, Something for Kate, Muse, Radiohead (lots others) had better/more songs that should have made it...I think the list shows the changing tastes of the JJJ listener of the years...could you even imagine a song like Teenage dirtbag making the list in the 90's?

It all came down to which was more commercially successful...The Smashing Pumpkins, Something for Kate, Muse, Radiohead (lots others) had better/more songs that should have made it...I think the list shows the changing tastes of the JJJ listener of the years...could you even imagine a song like Teenage dirtbag making the list in the 90's?

Never been a JJJ listener personally, so I took the list with a grain of salt.

A few more stats from our predictions:
Me 80 out of 100 tipped, 42 within 10 positions of actual finish with 8 exactly correct, 20 of the top 25 within 10, worst miss #42 Matt Corby, Score 2984
benji2 76 out of 100 ,42 within 10 positions 5 exact, 21 of top 25 within 10, worst miss #33 The Cranberries, Score 3379
DaRenegade 74 out of 100, 41 within 10, 4 exact, 18 of top 25 within 10, worst miss #42 Matt Corby, Score 3564
Chaisa 76 out of 100, 38 within 10 3 exact, 19 of top 25 within 10, worst miss #54 Kings of Leon, Score 3446
rawb 78 out of 100, 35 within 10 1 exact, 17 of top 25 within 10, worst miss #55 Fatboy Slim, Score 3441
Lowest Score is best.

Thanks for the massive statistical effort mate, awesome job. It stimulates discussion and makes the countdown so much more interesting!

Looking forward to seeing your work again in December :)

I think alot of voters have voted for their biggest songs to see them do well, and from the looks of things, looked at all the previous top 20's and voted from that, hence stuff like Little Talks, Straight Lines, Big Jet Plane all getting in despite no one giving them much of a chance.

Teenage Dirtbag making it was a nice surprise, must be nearly everyone's guilty pleasure song, and actually I think it still would make a 90's list, it only came out a year after the 90's anyway.

Hoping they reveal the 101-200 list too

Ive never understood the love for Teenage Dirtbag. Shocking song.

Out of curiosity Macca, can I ask how old you are?

I think Teenage Dirtbag probably benefited from being the perfect song at the perfect time for the perfect demographic. I'm 29, that song was quite anthemic for a generation when I was in year 12, even moreso for people younger than me.

When you consider JJJ saying that age 25 contained the biggest proportion of votes, it doesn't surprise me that it made it. Would it have made it 5 years ago? I doubt it. Would it make it in 5 years? Probably not.

But the right song at the right time it is.

I wouldn't say it's a shocking song - but I'd suggest it got in more on nostalgia value than on merit.

I personally thought much worse songs made the list, including Sex On Fire, Around the World and yes, Wonderwall. But of the 100 songs, I was very happy to hear about 93 of them, and I must admit that Teenage Dirtbag is one of them.

I thought it could have been a lot worse - Little Lion King one of the few horrible recent songs to carry momentum in. As usual, a lot of good stuff sprinkled in the lower reaches. People complaining about the top end...I'm not a massive fan of Oasis or Hilltop Hoods and wouldn't go out of my way to listen to their music, but Wonderwall and The Nosebleed Section are iconic - huge, recognisable parts of growing up in the last twenty years. Same as songs like Prisoner of Society - it's not even the best one of its album but it captured the mood at the time.

I think Teenage Dirtbag probably benefited from being the perfect song at the perfect time for the perfect demographic. I'm 29, that song was quite anthemic for a generation when I was in year 12, even moreso for people younger than me.

When you consider JJJ saying that age 25 contained the biggest proportion of votes, it doesn't surprise me that it made it. Would it have made it 5 years ago? I doubt it. Would it make it in 5 years? Probably not.

I wouldn't say it's a shocking song - but I'd suggest it got in more on nostalgia value than on merit.

I personally thought much worse songs made the list, including Sex On Fire, Around the World and yes, Wonderwall. But of the 100 songs, I was very happy to hear about 93 of them, and I must admit that Teenage Dirtbag is one of them.

explains why JJJ has gone down the drain (no offense)...during the 90's people were more into Smells like Teen spirit....Teenage Dirtbag is a commercial song you would expect to feature in a cheap teenager movie (oh wait).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im 31 so not much older than you. I would have been 19 when that song was big and used to scratch my head back then about why it was such a huge song. Never understood it. To be honest, I cant even remember it getting heaps of airplay on JJJ and that was when I used to listen to J's all day every day at work.

benji2 getting back to the worst songs ever to make a Hottest 100. Below I've made a list of what I think are the worst in order. #1 being the worst ever.
27. Chumbawamba - Tubthumping
26. Insurge - Political Prisoners
25. Pez - The Festival Song
24. Jamie T - Sticks 'n' Stones
23. Ministry - Lay Lady Lay
22. Kings Of Leon - Charmer
21. Ani Difranco - Untouchable Face
20. The xx - Islands
19. Beaverloop - Nothing
18. Faithless - Mass Destruction
17. Sisters Underground - In The Neighbourhood
16. New Order - World
15. Living Colour - Nothingness
14. Muscles - Sweaty
13. Babyshambles - Fck Forever
12. Bumblebeez - Dr Love
11. Kate Bush - Rubberband Girl
10. Bon Iver - Perth
9. Def FX - Masses Like Asses
8. The Cure - Purple Haze
7. Diana Ah Naid - Perfect Family
6. The Tenants - You Shit Me To Tears
5. The Drugs - The Bold and The Beautiful
4. Muscles - Ice Cream
3. Killing Heidi - Superman/Supergirl
2. Caligula - Before
1. Hecate - By Myself
Do yourself a favour, Don't go and listen to these songs.

benji2 getting back to the worst songs ever to make a Hottest 100. Below I've made a list of what I think are the worst in order. #1 being the worst ever.
20. The xx - Islands
19. Beaverloop - Nothing
16. New Order - World
14. Muscles - Sweaty
12. Bumblebeez - Dr Love
10. Bon Iver - Perth
4. Muscles - Ice Cream
2. Caligula - Before
1. Hecate - By Myself

Advice noted, anti-Molly:p
Love it!! Challenge accepted...

Wondering if there'll be another countdown like this in 2015 for JJJ's 40th birthday? Like the idea of making it all Australian Songs - if something can displace The Hilltop Hoods and Powderfinger :cool: ...

20. The xx - Islands
19. Beaverloop - Nothing
16. New Order - World
14. Muscles - Sweaty
12. Bumblebeez - Dr Love
10. Bon Iver - Perth
4. Muscles - Ice Cream
2. Caligula - Before
1. Hecate - By Myself
Tubthumping is awesome, as is The Festival Song (and I don't even really like Hip Hop). Perth is a great song too. How can you not like Ice Cream is beyond me.

2. Caligula - Before
1. Hecate - By Myself

Only a couple of songs I disagree with. Oh well, here are mine. Repetitive 'dance' tracks feature heavily. Note that being in this list does not mean I hate everything that artist does:

40. Sticks 'n' Stones - Jamie T
39. It Began in Afrikaa - Chemical Brothers
38. Contact High - Architecture in Helsinki
37. Got The Life - Korn
36. Yo Mama - Butterfingers
35. My Generation - Limp Bizkit
34. Order Of Death (Blair Witch Remix) - PIL
33. The Unforgiven II (Metallica) (not their finest hour - a sequel of a song??)
32. Heaven Is A Halfpipe - OPM
31. You S**t Me To Tears - Tenants
30. Radar Detector - Darwin Deez
29. F*ck Forever - Babyshambles
28. Nothing - Beaverloop
27. Lachlan - You Wedding Night
26. Bevan: The Musical - Peter Helliar (a novelty/comedy song should at least be amusing)
25. We No Speak Americano - Yolanda Be Cool
24. Professional Widow - Tori Amos (like Tori in general)
23. Smooth Criminal - Alient Ant Farm (never liked the MJ version either)
22. Thrift Shop - Macklemore and Ryan Lewis (and no not because it made No.1, just can't sit thru it at all)
21. Brimful Of Asha - Cornershop
20. Around The World - Daft Punk
19. With The Lid Off - Lucas
18. Dreams - Gabrielle
17. Human - Killers (normally the Killers are just meh, this one's painful)
16. Psychoactive Summer - DEF FX
15. Salmon Dance - Chemical Brothers
14. Who Farted? - The Vaughans
13. Shoop - Salt-n-Pepa
12. Love Me Or Hate Me - Lady Sovereign
11. Killing Me Softly - Fugees
10. The Festival Song - Pez
9. Rockafeller Skank - Fatboy Slim
8. Tease Me - Chaka Demus and Pliers
7. Whoever You Are - Geggy Tah
6. Responsibility - MxPx
5. Boombastic - Shaggy
4. I Wanna Be A Hippy - Technohead
3. Sweat (A La La La Long) - Inner Circle
2. We Don't Play Guitars - Chicks On Speed
1. Push the Lil' Daisies - Ween (sorry Ween like your other stuff but in 20 years have never managed to get to the end of this song)

Tubthumping is awesome, as is The Festival Song (and I don't even really like Hip Hop). Perth is a great song too. How can you not like Ice Cream is beyond me.

I think Tubthumping and The Festival Song are lowest common denominator pieces of fluff that just weren't pulled off well. Perth has weak vocals but has almost no melody, little rhythm, no structure, poorly arranged, over produced, badly mixed, no light and shade and a non-climax, so is basically just noise that I don't need to hear. And finally Ice Cream is like listening to someone stand on a mono-tonal cat with an annoying backing track for 5 minutes. It literally sounds like some high school kid singing to something he taped off the radio. But i know some people obviously like these tracks just not me.

Only a couple of songs I disagree with. Oh well, here are mine. Repetitive 'dance' tracks feature heavily. Note that being in this list does not mean I hate everything that artist does:

There's actually some songs on your worst list there that I voted for in their years. Oh well we can't all dislike the same things either. Even though I included a Def FX song on my worst list I don't mind Psychoactive Summer, I guess I saw them live a lot around that time and that was probably one of their better songs. I once threw a shoe I found in the mosh pit and it hit the base players guitar from Def FX. It was a left handed throw so I can't claim I was aiming for him.

I think Tubthumping and The Festival Song are lowest common denominator pieces of fluff that just weren't pulled off well. Perth has weak vocals but has almost no melody, little rhythm, no structure, poorly arranged, over produced, badly mixed, no light and shade and a non-climax, so is basically just noise that I don't need to hear. And finally Ice Cream is like listening to someone stand on a mono-tonal cat with an annoying backing track for 5 minutes. It literally sounds like some high school kid singing to something he taped off the radio. But i know some people obviously like these tracks just not me.
The live version of Ice Cream is much better than the studio version, probably why I like it so much as it's the one I listen to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Triple J Hottest 100 of the last 20 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Back