Troy Wilson

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 5, 2004
Denmark
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles
Not 100% sure on this stat. But I read somewhere that Troy Wilson was only the second person behind Darren Jarman to kick 40 or more goals in his debut season.
Now I know he wasn't the greatest or smartest player ever, but being a West Coast supporter with a shortage on key forwards, I was just wondering what the opposition thought of the human canonball when he was playing.
Personally I thought he gave 100% and allways ran straight at the ball, no matter what was coming his way, friend or foe.
His great game was against St Kilda, 2002? 8 goals?
Opinions.

Anja_Nees said:
Chris Grant kicked over 50 in his first season.

Anyway, I thought Wilson was a good player on his day. It's just a shame he started so late and only played 2 decent years.

Ah, thanks for that. The stats I read were not true. Anyway he did ok for his limited career.

I cant believe there is a post a about the biggest dud to play our game and just to get the record straight we are talking about the big fat guy who was a dud a footy player and is now a dud car racer. He was a shocking player he used to ruin the eagles forward line thats why he was delisted. The eagles have a thing with picking up dud fowards and then claiming there are good examples are Sampi,McDougall and Wilson.

linga_is_no1 said:
I cant believe there is a post a about the biggest dud to play our game and just to get the record straight we are talking about the big fat guy who was a dud a footy player and is now a dud car racer. He was a shocking player he used to ruin the eagles forward line thats why he was delisted. The eagles have a thing with picking up dud fowards and then claiming there are good examples are Sampi,McDougall and Wilson.

bit tough on wilson there...iirc he retired, he wasnt delisted, and did pretty well for a guy starting do late.

by the way, how could u bag him? u go for geelong and i bet wilson would do so much more for ya than kent kingsley.

linga_is_no1 said:
I can't believe a Geelong supporter is trying to critisise a foward.

Jimmy_the_Gent said:
I can't believe a Geelong supporter is trying to critisise a foward.

Yes, We had the greatest full foward of all time play for us but your right it is wrong to critisise Troy Wilson after all I wouldnt know a good foward because im a Geelong supporter. Also look at the Geelong foward line better than the eagles one.

FF:N.Ablett Ottens Kingsley
HF:S.Johnson Playfair Mackie

Jimmy_the_Gent said:
I don't really want to get into a foward line debate but

HF: Embley Hansen Sampi
FF: Gardiner Smith Mater

is a better foward 6.

You actually think that is better than Geelong's. You must be dreaming.

HF Embley(good) Hansen(overated and inconsistent) Sampi(cant kick straight not consistent)
FF Gardnier(ok but age is taking its tool) Smith( HAHA this guy is 26 and has only played for subi he is a dud) Matera(small rat who despites what he thinks is not that good)

Geelongs is so much better its not funny

FF:N.Ablett(gun kicked i think 8 goals in 3 games) Ottens(key fwd something the eagles dont have) Kingsley(dodgy but can fire up)
HF:S.Johnson(real gun showed it in the last 3 rnds)Playfair(good season and will bulid from it) Mackie( becoming better and better)

If you ask any one besides some stupid west australian bogan from joondalup which no doubt you are they will say Geelong has a far superior fwd line compared to the eagles Craptacular 6

McDougallcankick5 said:
Not 100% sure on this stat. But I read somewhere that Troy Wilson was only the second person behind Darren Jarman to kick 40 or more goals in his debut season.
Now I know he wasn't the greatest or smartest player ever, but being a West Coast supporter with a shortage on key forwards, I was just wondering what the opposition thought of the human canonball when he was playing.
Personally I thought he gave 100% and allways ran straight at the ball, no matter what was coming his way, friend or foe.
Opinions.

I think it was a dream story of the AFLalmost a hollywood movie.
27yrs old playing in a lower leauge drafted and has a great year.Love the story and he did well for a guy who would of known he was a week to week player.

linga_is_no1 said:
You actually think that is better than Geelong's. You must be dreaming.

HF Embley(good) Hansen(overated and inconsistent) Sampi(cant kick straight not consistent)
FF Gardnier(ok but age is taking its tool) Smith( HAHA this guy is 26 and has only played for subi he is a dud) Matera(small rat who despites what he thinks is not that good)

Geelongs is so much better its not funny

FF:N.Ablett(gun kicked i think 8 goals in 3 games) Ottens(key fwd something the eagles dont have) Kingsley(dodgy but can fire up)
HF:S.Johnson(real gun showed it in the last 3 rnds)Playfair(good season and will bulid from it) Mackie( becoming better and better)

If you ask any one besides some stupid west australian bogan from joondalup which no doubt you are they will say Geelong has a far superior fwd line compared to the eagles Craptacular 6

Linga, I shall take off my DB's, tight black jeans, flannel shirt, and cut my mullet, but I still think the Eagles forward line is as good, if not better than the forward line you posted.
With your hatred towards the Eagles forwards you must hate a poster that has McDougall in his name, Sampi in his avatar, and starts a thread about Troy Wilson. But for some reason you feel the need to trash an ex-Eagle for no other reason than he played for a team that has owned yours in finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The great man Allen Jakovich kicked 70 odd in his debut year in 1991.

Jakovich only played a dozen or so senior games that year, kicking another 50 plus goals in the reserves.

linga_is_no1 said:
FF:N.Ablett(gun kicked i think 8 goals in 3 games)

He doesn't want to play AFL football. Ability is nothing without the discipline and motivation. He wont last 2 years unless he has a radical about-face in attitude. He only came onto the park because the club begged him to.

Ottens(key fwd something the eagles dont have)

He is a ruckman. He is servicable as a forward but he is injury prone, especially as a forward. He seems to break down a lot with leg related injuries where he is expected to run hard on the lead, change direction, etc.

Kingsley(dodgy but can fire up)

If he didn't have to kick the ball he would be a great forward, given the requirement is to kick the ball through the big sticks then his defender-like kicking for goal makes him very dubious. An inconsistant kick is worse than having someone who is an accurate kick who only has a few shots a game. So much of the ball is directed to him and he wastes so much of it he is more a liability to the side than an asset. Far too hot and cold for AFL level.

HF:S.Johnson(real gun showed it in the last 3 rnds)

He has gone okay.

Playfair(good season and will bulid from it)

I didn't think he had a great year, I had the misfortune of putting him in my dream team thinking he would improve significantly on last year, he is needs a huge 2006. Still uncertain how he will go.

Mackie( becoming better and better)

Who? I don't remember seeing him play. I might have seen him but dont remember the name.

I think Hansen is better than you make him out to be, he goes hard and presents, works hard along the half forward line. He just hasn't got the tank to go 4 quarters but is very young, fitness can be improved.

I think Geelong has situationally a better forward line. I think Ottens is the equivalent to Gardiner. I think Hansen is better than Playfair. Kingsley is a lot better than Lynch although he can go from brilliant to clown in seven days.

I think the Eagles have the much more consistant forward line, a fitter, stronger and more durable one. IF Geelong could get their best players on the park and IF they played well they could beat any side, when on song they look as dangerous as any side. The difference is there is a massive difference between the Cats good and bad football, a lot bigger a variance than the football the eagles play generally which is why they ended where they did this year.

McDougallcankick5 said:
Opinions.

Adrian McAdam from North Melbourne. 1993 in his debut year he kicked 68 goals from 17 games. 7 goals in his first game against Richmond, 10 in his second against Sydney and 6 in his third game against the Dogs. He was on fire. Also kicked 9 against Collingwood, 6 against Essendon and 5 against the Saints that year.

Tragic lesson on how recreational drugs can destroy your life.

McDougallcankick5 said:

That was actually 2001. Round 3 at TD (or CS). He played on Mark Gale for a while. :)

He was a handy player on his day, and was a fee-good story, seeing that he came from nowhere to play and play well in AFL football.

hirthy said:
Jakovich 71 goals in 91 debut season + 60 in the reserves!!!!

He was a freak!!

I still remember the day he kicked 11 against North Melbourne at the G'.

Had the full bag of tricks happening that day - scissor kicks over his head as well!

It was classic that day he gave Glen a big kiss after drilling a beauty from the boundary!!

Shame he had problems with his back he could have played for a few more years.

Cuzz09 said:
He was a freak!!

I still remember the day he kicked 11 against North Melbourne at the G'.

Had the full bag of tricks happening that day - scissor kicks over his head as well!

It was classic that day he gave Glen a big kiss after drilling a beauty from the boundary!!

Shame he had problems with his back he could have played for a few more years.

He certainly was a freak.
Damn back problems. I think over the 97 games he played he had a goal average over 4 a game.
Imagine if he had played out a full career....

davey_magik said:
He certainly was a freak.
Damn back problems. I think over the 97 games he played he had a goal average over 4 a game.
Imagine if he had played out a full career....

I know hey!

Arr well.

It would have been good to see him play as long as a career as Glen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Troy Wilson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back