Tszyu v Hatton

Remove this Banner Ad

Grendel said:
An Irishman a Canadian and .. ohh yea.. and an Englishman.... who never fought SRay.

Don't be silly. You should learn when to keep quiet.

Here are a few more

Nigel Benn
Chris Eubank
Michael Watson
Denis Andres
Nasim Hamed
Ricky Hatton
Joe Calzaghi

Also note - McGuigan is Northern Irish - which was why he was included in the British Boxing list - get it? :eek:

Australia has no boxing pedigree - this is Old News ...

Jeff Fenech better than any British boxer of the last 20 years - don't make me laugh!

I'll just throw in McGuigan, Honeyghan and Lewis.

Aussie-Basher said:
Don't be silly. You should learn when to keep quiet.

Here are a few more

Nigel Benn
Chris Eubank
Michael Watson
Denis Andres
Nasim Hamed
Ricky Hatton
Joe Calzaghi

Also note - McGuigan is Northern Irish - which was why he was included in the British Boxing list - get it? :eek:

Australia has no boxing pedigree - this is Old News ...

Now please explain what these guys have over a 4 division champ like Fenech (that's right, he beat Azumah the first time round).

JohnF said:
Now please explain what these guys have over a 4 division champ like Fenech (that's right, he beat Azumah the first time round).

If you are still in doubt - you might want to check these fights:

Honeyghan/Currie
McGuigan/Pedrosa
Hamed/Kelley
Lewis/Hollyfield
Hatton/Russian Boy

Also - since you brought it up - can you tell me when Fenech beat Nelson?

It really makes me laugh that you guys mention Aussie Boxing in the same breathe as British Boxing ... it really does ...

Your Boxers are on a par with your track stars (Freeman excepted).

:rolleyes:

Honeyghan/Currie

You mean the Lloyd Honeyghan who beat the most overrated fighter of the 80's and then did nothing else of significance? Got totally exposed by Starling.

McGuigan/Pedrosa

Eusebio Pedroza was a great fighter but he was at the end of the road. He even lost to Edgar Castro in his next fight. No need to make more of McGuigan's win than what it was: A very good fighter toppling a past his prime great.

Hamed/Kelley
Kelley was a good to very good fighter and he nearly knocked Hamed out. When Hamed got in there with a great he got plain schooled.

Lewis/Hollyfield
Gee you Poms love making a name for yourselves by defeating shot fighters don't you?

Oldyfield was way past his best and even still managed to fight Lewis on even terms in the second bout. A prime Holyfiled would have made Rahmnan and McCall's ko's look like fairy taps.

Hatton/Russian Boy
Good on Hatton for beating Tszyu. Now all he needs to do is be a champion for a decade and he'll be on Tszyu's level.

Also - since you brought it up - can you tell me when Fenech beat Nelson?

1991. If you think the fight is a draw you're crazy.

It really makes me laugh that you guys mention Aussie Boxing in the same breathe as British Boxing ... it really does ...

Your Boxers are on a par with your track stars (Freeman excepted).

We haven't got the best boxing heritage but you blokes aren't much better.

Going by population comparison we more than match you lot.

We haven't got the best boxing heritage but you blokes aren't much better.

Going by population comparison we more than match you lot.

Weak, man - weak.

You are trying to compare about 10 World Champions from the UK to Fenech - whose best performance to draw against (then get himself knocked out by) Nelson.

I love the way you guys attack British sporting prowess from an inferior position. It would be like Bangladeshis dissing English cricket. Apparently the irony of this is lost on you :confused:

I think your timing is also poor since it was just last weekend that Hatton confirmed himself as a truly world class fighter (after being written off on these boards). And yet you seem to offer as evidence an Aussie fighter from 15 years ago - as an example of the how are respective nations are "matched" in boxing tradition. I bet I am not the only one struggling to understand your logic.

We are better - which is why it is so ridiculous you arguing the point ...
I think that fact that you are so keen to pass of Tzsyu as "one of your own" is evidence of the lack of domestic talent FOR A WHILE.

"Population comparison?" sounds like I made my point

What about Eubank and Benn? Andres and Watson? I bet you think they were crap too?

Aussie-Basher said:
Weak, man - weak.

You are trying to compare about 10 World Champions from the UK to Fenech - whose best performance to draw against (then get himself knocked out by) Nelson.

I could have mentioned how he's beaten washed up greats like Zarate, but then that would be dropping to your level.

I just claimed that Fenech is better than anyone you have produced in the last 20 years and all you've done is throw a bag of good-to very good names at me which all fall short of Fenech.

If you're just interested in naming any pom that was a champ well I can name a bunch of aussie champs as well, Tszyu, Ellis, Harding, Peden, Darchinyan. You have had more champs, that was never in dispute.

I love the way you guys attack British sporting prowess from an inferior position. It would be like Bangladeshis dissing English cricket. Apparently the irony of this is lost on you :confused:

lmfaoo, or like the English cricket team dissing the Australian cricket team? Come on man, we embarass you as a nation when it comes to world sport. How'd you go in the olympics by the way?

I think your timing is also poor since it was just last weekend that Hatton confirmed himself as a truly world class fighter (after being written off on these boards). And yet you seem to offer as evidence an Aussie fighter from 15 years ago - as an example of the how are respective nations are "matched" in boxing tradition. I bet I am not the only one struggling to understand your logic.

You just came on here and rubbished Australian boxing. I just pointed out that Fenech is better than anyone you have produced in 20 years. It's a consolation I'll take for our lack of boxing prowess.

We are better - which is why it is so ridiculous you arguing the point ...
I think that fact that you are so keen to pass of Tzsyu as "one of your own" is evidence of the lack of domestic talent FOR A WHILE.

Ahuh, so that's why you have been swinging from Lennox Lewis' nuts for the last decade.

"Population comparison?" sounds like I made my point

It's a valid point you can't live with. We punch well above our weight.

What about Eubank and Benn? Andres and Watson? I bet you think they were crap too?

Decent fighters.

JohnF said:
I could have mentioned how he's beaten washed up greats like Zarate, but then that would be dropping to your level.

I just claimed that Fenech is better than anyone you have produced in the last 20 years and all you've done is throw a bag of good-to very good names at me which all fall short of Fenech.

If you're just interested in naming any pom that was a champ well I can name a bunch of aussie champs as well, Tszyu, Ellis, Harding, Peden, Darchinyan. You have had more champs, that was never in dispute.

lmfaoo, or like the English cricket team dissing the Australian cricket team? Come on man, we embarass you as a nation when it comes to world sport. How'd you go in the olympics by the way?

You just came on here and rubbished Australian boxing. I just pointed out that Fenech is better than anyone you have produced in 20 years. It's a consolation I'll take for our lack of boxing prowess.

Ahuh, so that's why you have been swinging from Lennox Lewis' nuts for the last decade.

It's a valid point you can't live with. We punch well above our weight.

Decent fighters.

Now you are really making me laugh.

1) Your point about Fenech is flat out wrong.
Eubank, Honeyghan, Lewis - who knows - maybe Hatton will be consdired a greater fighter when he retires. I could also probably make a case for about 10 other British fighters being better.

2) Typical - you are starting to compare England Cricket to Aussie cricket - well - I am not surprise. Lose an argument - you've always got the cricket.
I remember alot of that when you guys lost the Rugby WC.

3) You still didn't tell me when Fenech beat Nelson - I am still waiting!!!

4) Even I am more Aussie that Tszyu and Darchinyan! LMAO!!!!

5) You embarass us as a nation? Huh? Mate - you embarrass yourself with comments like that! Look - we are rated in the Top 5 in Soccer (which is played by the entire world), we are World Champs at Rugby Union, we are rated No. 2 at Cricket (apparently something to be ashamed of following your logic :confused: ) - and since you mention the Olympics - we had the outstanding Women's Track Athlete of the Games (did you see the award Kelly Holmes got this year?). Apparently we should be embarrassed about this?

Besides - Australia spends more per capita on sport than any nation in the world. You guys should be good. That still has nothing to do with us being easily a better nation at boxing - with a far more impressive list of boxers. Deal with it! :eek:

Look - you are probably a good bloke - but you guys need to stop getting chippy each time the Brits beat you at a sport. I just don't know where you guys are going to hide your heads when you (inevitably) cease to dominate world cricket.

Amusing how Aussies refer to Tszyu (a great fighter and, I suspect excellent person from what I've seen btw) who was born and raised in Russia and only moved in his early 20's as "Australian"

Lennox Lewis who was born and raised in England, went out to Canada two years after his mother moved there (he was aged 11) and, he said, always considered himself British, moving back there on turning pro, is "Canadian".

Don Curry when he fought Honeyghan was not 'washed up'. He was ranked the best pound for pound boxer in the world by most experts - ahead of Tyson et al - and it the BBC reporter on the evening expressed an opinion that "Honeyghan will be in the ring, so he has the chance of landing a lucky punch, but that's it." He may have been washed up after the fight because Lloyd destroyed him.

Pedrosa was not at his very peak but wasn't that far from it - he took a lot of punishment as well that day which he never really came back from. I remember Pedrosa saying that McGuigan boxed so well that day that he would have struggled to handle him at his best.

Of course the most talented British boxer of the period, even more so than Naseem Hamed, was Kirkland Laing - trouble is he rarely had all his oars in the water.

speaking of UK talent, Graham had some! Great defensive talent, but ********, didnt Jackson ice him a beauty!!

drugs ruined Laing didnt they?

I remember talking to Eubank for about 5 mins at the MGM Grand the night Barrera beat Naz. Truly a weird person. Very strange. Still dunno if he was putting it on or what. We started talking about Barrera, not quite sure what he was rambling on about after that.

Aussie-Basher said:
Now you are really making me laugh.

1) Your point about Fenech is flat out wrong.
Eubank, Honeyghan, Lewis - who knows - maybe Hatton will be consdired a greater fighter when he retires. I could also probably make a case for about 10 other British fighters being better.

The only fighter who is comparable in a pound 4 pound sense is Lewis. Eubank is definitely a class below and Honeyghan didn't do enough over a career to be considered great. Other than his win over Donald 'crackhead' Curry and Maurice Blocker he made a living on beating Brittish bums.

2) Typical - you are starting to compare England Cricket to Aussie cricket - well - I am not surprise. Lose an argument - you've always got the cricket.
I remember alot of that when you guys lost the Rugby WC.

So what's your point? Makes as much sense as me saying now, typical, you're bringing up the rugby, as if it doesn't count.

3) You still didn't tell me when Fenech beat Nelson - I am still waiting!!!

You're probably still waiting for an answer for when Pernell Whitaker beat Julio Cesar Chavez as well. Come on dude, only morons go by official decisions.

4) Even I am more Aussie that Tszyu and Darchinyan! LMAO!!!!

What have you represented Australia in?

5) You embarass us as a nation? Huh? Mate - you embarrass yourself with comments like that! Look - we are rated in the Top 5 in Soccer (which is played by the entire world), we are World Champs at Rugby Union, we are rated No. 2 at Cricket (apparently something to be ashamed of following your logic :confused: ) - and since you mention the Olympics - we had the outstanding Women's Track Athlete of the Games (did you see the award Kelly Holmes got this year?). Apparently we should be embarrassed about this?

Besides - Australia spends more per capita on sport than any nation in the world. You guys should be good. That still has nothing to do with us being easily a better nation at boxing - with a far more impressive list of boxers. Deal with it! :eek:

lmfaoo@your soccer team. You are bigger chokers than the Australian soccer team! And that's near impossible! You've got a point with the rugby and I acknowledge you have a good track star which justifies your abysmal Olympic efforts of recent times.

Look - you are probably a good bloke - but you guys need to stop getting chippy each time the Brits beat you at a sport. I just don't know where you guys are going to hide your heads when you (inevitably) cease to dominate world cricket.

I'll acknowledge the Brits when they pull their heads in and don't come onto AUSSIE RULES boards looking to stir schit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Booze Hound said:
Amusing how Aussies refer to Tszyu (a great fighter and, I suspect excellent person from what I've seen btw) who was born and raised in Russia and only moved in his early 20's as "Australian"

Lennox Lewis who was born and raised in England, went out to Canada two years after his mother moved there (he was aged 11) and, he said, always considered himself British, moving back there on turning pro, is "Canadian".

Yeah he's a pom.

Don Curry when he fought Honeyghan was not 'washed up'. He was ranked the best pound for pound boxer in the world by most experts - ahead of Tyson et al - and it the BBC reporter on the evening expressed an opinion that "Honeyghan will be in the ring, so he has the chance of landing a lucky punch, but that's it." He may have been washed up after the fight because Lloyd destroyed him.

That Donald Curry was the best p4p was just a PERCEPTION at the time. He was never the best p4p in reality. De la Hoya (the most overrated fighter of the 90's) was also considered the best p4p fighter for a stage there too. Likewise he was never p4p the best in reality.

Sometimes it takes a while to expose hype but when hype is exposed you have to re-evaluate past perceptions in light of reality.

A good win nonetheless for Honeyghan and he boxed great that night.

Pedrosa was not at his very peak but wasn't that far from it - he took a lot of punishment as well that day which he never really came back from. I remember Pedrosa saying that McGuigan boxed so well that day that he would have struggled to handle him at his best.

Humble champ. A prime Pedrosa takes McGuigan every time. Again though, McGuigan did great that fight.

Smokin said:
speaking of UK talent, Graham had some! Great defensive talent, but ********, didnt Jackson ice him a beauty!!

drugs ruined Laing didnt they?

I remember talking to Eubank for about 5 mins at the MGM Grand the night Barrera beat Naz. Truly a weird person. Very strange. Still dunno if he was putting it on or what. We started talking about Barrera, not quite sure what he was rambling on about after that.

Graham was an excellent defensive fighter but had a glass jaw. It was very hard to get to but if you did........

Sambu Kalamby (sp) nailed him good.

Laing was a drug taker on and off apparently but they were far from the only part of his failure to reach the top. He tended to disappear totally for days, weeks or even months at a time without a word to anyone, then turn up and retake the reins without pausing for breath.

JohnF said:
The only fighter who is comparable in a pound 4 pound sense is Lewis. Eubank is definitely a class below and Honeyghan didn't do enough over a career to be considered great. Other than his win over Donald 'crackhead' Curry and Maurice Blocker he made a living on beating Brittish bums..

Okay - you are keeping your head in the sand. I think you know where I stand on this one.

JohnF said:
So what's your point? Makes as much sense as me saying now, typical, you're bringing up the rugby, as if it doesn't count..

My point was Aussie reaction to being inferior to the Brits - was the bring up the cricket (I used the RWC an example of this).

JohnF said:
You're probably still waiting for an answer for when Pernell Whitaker beat Julio Cesar Chavez as well. Come on dude, only morons go by official decisions..

OKay - but Nelson did not lose - and then beat your boy again.

JohnF said:
lmfaoo@your soccer team. You are bigger chokers than the Australian soccer team! And that's near impossible! You've got a point with the rugby and I acknowledge you have a good track star which justifies your abysmal Olympic efforts of recent times..

Look - you miss the irony of your comments. Soccer is the most competitive nation sport in the world - and England have - for the most part been somewhere near the top. I still can't understand why you choose this sport an evidence of British Underperformance :confused:

JohnF said:
I'll acknowledge the Brits when they pull their heads in and don't come onto AUSSIE RULES boards looking to stir schit.

You lost the argument - now what are suggesting - these are Aussie Only
boards?

:eek:

Aussie-Basher said:
Okay - you are keeping your head in the sand. I think you know where I stand on this one.

Yep, agree to disagree.

My point was Aussie reaction to being inferior to the Brits - was the bring up the cricket (I used the RWC an example of this).

You generalised the argument to encompass all sports so why not bring up the cricket?

OKay - but Nelson did not lose - and then beat your boy again.

Nelson did not lose 'officially'. Anyone who isn't deluded knows who won the fight - granted that Nelson wasn't at his best in that fight. He beat Fenech the second time round but I think Fenech had slipped a little by the time of the second fight as well.

Look - you miss the irony of your comments. Soccer is the most competitive nation sport in the world - and England have - for the most part been somewhere near the top. I still can't understand why you choose this sport an evidence of British Underperformance :confused:

England have a good soccer team but are underachievers. Just pointing that out.

You lost the argument - now what are suggesting - these are Aussie Only
boards?

I'm suggesting you show a bit of humility and don't exaggerate your accomplishments, they aren't that great.

JohnF said:
I'm suggesting you show a bit of humility and don't exaggerate your accomplishments, they aren't that great.

Coming from an Aussie - this is irony indeed!

Ricky Hatton beating a true Boxing great. I guess you STILL think that this isn't that great ...

nor - I guess - the exploits of Lewis, Honeyghan, Eubank, Benn, Hameed, MacGuighan, Graham, Laing, Watson, Andres, Calzaghi, C.A.T ... I think I see your point :rolleyes:

As is all too often the case - whenever Brits win something / or perform well - your countrymen feel it their place to "player-hate".

Did the Brits knock Thorpe when he won golds, or Hewitt when won a tournament - or Warney when he passed his Test wickets milestones?

Just not in our national tradition ...

Aussie-Basher said:
Coming from an Aussie - this is irony indeed!

Ricky Hatton beating a true Boxing great. I guess you STILL think that this isn't that great ...

nor - I guess - the exploits of Lewis, Honeyghan, Eubank, Benn, Hameed, MacGuighan, Graham, Laing, Watson, Andres, Calzaghi, C.A.T ... I think I see your point :rolleyes:

We've been over this, no need to go over it again.

As is all too often the case - whenever Brits win something / or perform well - your countrymen feel it their place to "player-hate".

Did the Brits knock Thorpe when he won golds, or Hewitt when won a tournament - or Warney when he passed his Test wickets milestones?

Just not in our national tradition ...

lmfaoooo@this coming from a pom with the name "Aussie-Basher". And you want to talk to me about irony!

Remove this Banner Ad

Tszyu v Hatton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back