Tthd

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
http://www.melbournefc.com.au/tabid/7415/Default.aspx?newsid=70764
Frawley set to shine

IT'S THAT time of year again when every club has a player or two who is “training the house down” and giving every indication that a quantum leap forward is in the offing next season.

Melbourne defender James Frawley ticks all the boxes required to be described as such.

Frawley has added a just over two kilograms of muscle since the end of the season which he hopes will allow him to spend more time in a key defensive post next year as he looks to add to his 20 career games.

So the first training the house down article goes to Frawley. We have also had reports of Sylvia and Newton training very well. Aussie is looking much slimmer and fitter (see picture in Nev Jetta thread).

It will be interesting who else gets added to this category from now until the first nab cup game.

As for the article it self it is pleasing that he has added 2kg of muscle and hopefully he is either pushing towards or by the end of the preseason will be above 90kg. The website weights need a bit of work, he is listed as 82 and I think he would be a fair bit above that now, Bail is still listed at 91 and Davey 72 and if you've seen him lately he is clearly heavier than that.

Yeah i read Jones and Miller were going well. Hopefully Frawely can make an impact this year, don't rate him yet.

Frawley is a fair way behind getting a KP spot in our side at the moment, a long way back even. As a first round pick, he better pull something out otherwise he has been a total waste of a pick.

I think he has got the ability, and certainly the pace. Just a bit of application is needed.

I made a promise to myself that I'm not going to get excited over TTHD reports this pre-season. Every player from every club from every league across Australia is reportedly training the house down...I'm sick of it.

Frawley is a fair way behind getting a KP spot in our side at the moment, a long way back even. As a first round pick, he better pull something out otherwise he has been a total waste of a pick.

I think he has got the ability, and certainly the pace. Just a bit of application is needed.

These sorts of statements are a joke. Champion defenders like Scarlett & Glass showed nothing in there formative years, yet we have a young 19 y.o. defender who has only played 20 games over 2 years for 6 wins, yet he needs to pull his finger out. He's shown enough to this stage for me to think that he can make it at AFL level, yes he needs to keep improving but so does every 19-20 y.o.

I'm just glad that our coaches have a bit more sense.

These sorts of statements are a joke. Champion defenders like Scarlett & Glass showed nothing in there formative years, yet we have a young 19 y.o. defender who has only played 20 games over 2 years for 6 wins, yet he needs to pull his finger out. He's shown enough to this stage for me to think that he can make it at AFL level, yes he needs to keep improving but so does every 19-20 y.o.

I'm just glad that our coaches have a bit more sense.
Pull his finger out may have been stretching the analogy a bit far, but look at his competition.

Martin sprinted past him last year, Warnock is established and Garland is a dead-set gun. Even with Rivers out for most of last year, Frawley couldn't really get a look for large portions. Fast forward to the middle of next year and McNamara will want a spot too.

If he doesn't improve (and its mainly his kicking that I think is the worry, he's as quick as any defender I have seen), he may be left behind a bit. I wonder whether they would consider trying him down forward.

Look at his competition.

Martin sprinted past him last year, Warnock is established and Garland is a dead-set gun. Even with Rivers out for most of last year, Frawley couldn't really get a look for large portions. Fast forward to the middle of next year and McNamara will want a spot too.

If he doesn't improve (and its mainly his kicking that I think is the worry, he's as quick as any defender I have seen), he may be left behind a bit. I wonder whether they would consider trying him down forward.

Martin is 2 years older than Frawley, Warnock is 5 years older than Frawley, they are better developed, give him until Martin's age before you start making your judgments. Garland is the same age, and yes he is better, but ideally he would play a different role to Frawley as would Rivers and Mcnamara.

Pull his finger out may have been stretching the analogy a bit far, but look at his competition.

If kicking is the problem then moving him up forward might not be the option but I guess a turnover in the back line is better then the forward.

At least his kicking is somthing he can work on.

I made a promise to myself that I'm not going to get excited over TTHD reports this pre-season. Every player from every club from every league across Australia is reportedly training the house down...I'm sick of it.
=========================================================

Totaly and absolutely agree with you there demonfan9. I've had a gutful as well.
I have heard that dammed phrase so many times pre season now, and have gotten myself so excited over a particular player...only to sctach my head by about Round 5 or 6.

In fact I am convinced thats its all just a marketing game and part of the pre season booooldust ritual to get us all to sign on for a membership. Ok, Fair enough....but so long as you realise what its all about.

Therefore, for me , Meesen was the last straw. Yep, I remember him , TTHD in 2008 pre season. In fact he trained that house down so well, he evidently got that tired he couldn't play a senior game.

So...with any training news pre season...I just turn the page and keep reading the comics.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Tthd

Remove this Banner Ad

Back