Votes: 25 18.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

TigerTrain23

Senior List
Jul 14, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Given how much the AFL is raving about how successful last night's Prelim was from a tv ratings perspective, is it all but guaranteed that we will see the Grand Final moved to a 4 or 5pm start time for 2017?

Seven will no doubt be pushing hard for it and the AFL marketers will no doubt spin it as a win for the tv audience. Perhaps Gil would note that they are also thinking of the "traditional" fans by having the game moved back to September - so that it offers something both traditional and progressive.

I'm hoping I'm wrong but I fear the AFL will want to trial it sooner rather than later. Next year is looking ominous given the Twilight Prelims of 2016, 2014 and 2012 have all been tight contests.

Do others feel like the AFL will act on this in the near future?

A night GF makes interstate travel easier for fans going to the game. Finish work on a Friday - you have plenty of time to get to Melbourne and back home for work on Monday (by air from Tassie, Perth and Brisbane - but even by road from Sydney and Adelaide. Anyone know how many doggies fans drove?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really the only argument for it is TV, which believe it or not isn't the AFL. Anyways the Grand Final still gets great ratings at the 2:30 time slot, so the question is, Does it really need to be moved?

What is even the point of playing in twilight? Either play during the day which is the best for people actually going to the game and respecting tradition, or play at night which is the best for TV ratings and pre-game entertainment. Twilight gives you none of this, it just combines the worst of both options.

Last edited:
It really depends how you look at it...

Some people love the traditional day time slot, me probably too

But ...

If you want massive TV ratings and make it more marketable around the world it has to be at night with all the bells and whistles as far as entertainment goes....fireworks etc.

It's the one thing the NRL get right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Twilight Grand Final 2017

Back