Kangaroolz

Debutant
Nov 12, 2003
Brunswick St Oval
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Fitzroy
Inspired by the great DerrinalPhil, I wanted to post some info about the 2013 u19s. It has been a great season so far with promise of some great moments to come. The 2013 team is made up of some old faces, young players from the Juniors and an influx of new guys. There are some younger siblings, some incredible first year players (yes, they never played junior footy) and a lot of heart. Captained by Diarmuid O'Donoghue and coached by Bruce Edwards they are sitting on 6 wins, 2 losses and 1 wash out at the half way point of the season.

There is a buzz around about the upcoming game against Old Carey to be played under lights this Friday night at Vic Park. Come down and watch if you can.

Mazenod vs Fitzroy

It was a cold damp day out at Capital Reserve on Saturday. The U19s still had their fair share of injuries to deal with. The sides captain Daz arrived still sporting a moonboot and Fragos in a sling. Otto was a late out due to illness (big night out Friday I suspect!) and Strathy was up playing with the Thirds. JMac had finally got his call up to the Cannons and although he would be missed, everyone wished him well. An assortment of others were out due to work and study commitments. We were missing our trainer Meg too through illness but it was nice to welcome Laura to the fold.

Pre-match was going well, the coach calling each line in for instructions. Where were Dalts and Jordy though? Well, we are a long way from Brunswick St and the traffic is shocking! Some frantic phone calls from the Dads found them lost in the eastern suburbs, they would be here by 2pm!

No, they weren’t! The teams took the field and pre game structures and rotations got thrown out the window! In the gloom of this very cute little suburban oval, the boys looked like a million dollars early. Great to see Luke Baker back from a long stint in the Seniors weaving his magic through the midfield and Joe Hill looked menacing up forward. It was looking ugly for Mazenod as Leech and Hill dominated. Leech not letting the taunts of Mazenod get to him as he let rip with a huge goal but somebody turned the switch off again and the boys started to go missing. Looking over at the coach’s box, Bruce cut a lonely figure on the Fitzroy side..standing there in his grey hoodie while the “Nodders” coaching committee looked very professional in their black and blue uniform. They looked up and about on the field too. “C’mon boys, we have nothing to lose, everything to gain”. On the up side though, the two boys who were actually missing, showed up and Bruce could once again structure the team as he wanted. Hill learnt that mouthing off to the umpire is a sure way to get a seat on the bench for 15 minutes and Mazenod took full advantage of his time off the field. Let's hope that history never repeats.

After half time, Mazenod started well and we looked flat. Memories of the Marcellin game came to mind until a gut busting run and game changing tackle from Kinsella relit the fuse and the Lions started to stir again. Everyone lifted all over the ground. Ligga was controlling the defense, Simma was playing his best game, Matters was dominating, Tregellis was strong, Woody was stepping up and I suspect that it was one big cunning plan from Dalts and Jordy to stay fresh for the 2nd half because they both had plenty of run left in their legs.

It was a very easy win in the end. Hill kicked 8 and is now leading the goalkicking for the comp. The boys sit 3rd on the ladder and our attention turns to our first return game of the season against Old Carey next Friday night at Vic Park….UNDER LIGHTS!!!!

I dreamt I saw Joe Hill last week
a livewire under nineteen
and looking the goods a fortnight before
in the Fitzroy Senior team;
living every footballer’s dream

“The Coaching Bosses crushed you Joe
they dropped you Joe” says I
“Takes more than demotion to crush a man” says Joe
“I didn’t cry”
says Joe “Bruce tells me I’ll get another try”

And standing there as big as life
and smiling with his eyes ,