UEFA EURO 2024 (Winners: Spain)

Remove this Banner Ad

Don’t think I’ve ever seen Declan Rice play so poor, he was absolutely shocking. Trent played some nice passes but to me it looks like he’s almost hiding at times, he doesn’t show for the ball often enough. Then they got even worse when Gallagher came on.

The midfield is England’s big issue for sure, can see them getting monstered by one of the better sides, especially if Rice is off the pace a bit. Surely it’s time to give Wharton a run.

Fantastic end to the Slovenia v Serbia match. Questionable defending however for the corner, no one at the back post, the keeper behind the goal line.

Don’t think I’ve ever seen Declan Rice play so poor, he was absolutely shocking. Trent played some nice passes but to me it looks like he’s almost hiding at times, he doesn’t show for the ball often enough. Then they got even worse when Gallagher came on.

The midfield is England’s big issue for sure, can see them getting monstered by one of the better sides, especially if Rice is off the pace a bit. Surely it’s time to give Wharton a run.
Could it be that Declan Rice is so overrated due to being English?
What exactly is he good at ? Defending? Passing? Scoring?

Croatia vs Italy is going to be a ripper. Croatia needs to win to advance to the knock out rounds while Italy just need a draw. Italy might get through even if they lose.

France vs Holland tomorrow morning sublime.

Spain
Germany
France

England need to get their act together.
It's always talked about how England choke in major tournaments when frankly I think they're just arrogant flogs who disrespect the opposition by thinking they should win every tournament. Most the time, they just get beaten by a better team, or one that's of similar quality to them, and it's simple as that.

Cause if I'm wrong and England are chokers, how many times have we seen Spain bottle it? Talk about underachievers that play cagey and underwhelming in big games.

It's about time they got into a semi or a final again, good luck to 'em.

England are playing with both Bellingham and Foden to try and be creative, but the only time they look dangerous is when Kane drops deeper and gets on the ball. Problem is Saka is the only one making the runs in behind when he does.

Either play Bellingham next to rice or make a call on him or Foden centrally and bench the other. Pick Gordon on the left to open the field up and give Kane time on the ball and runners to play in. Then actually use someone like Palmer off the bench. Just trying to fit the best players on the pitch doesn’t work.

It's always talked about how England choke in major tournaments when frankly I think they're just arrogant flogs who disrespect the opposition by thinking they should win every tournament. Most the time, they just get beaten by a better team, or one that's of similar quality to them, and it's simple as that.

Cause if I'm wrong and England are chokers, how many times have we seen Spain bottle it? Talk about underachievers that play cagey and underwhelming in big games.

It's about time they got into a semi or a final again, good luck to 'em.
Made the semis last Euro to be fair and only lost on penalties to Italy who went on to win it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saka and Foden don't know how to make the runs Salah and Diaz do so Trent should just be dropped to RB or bench coz his passing is useless. 90% of the time he's passing sideways coz nothings on. Kane's movement is non existent as well coz he keeps presenting short. Very low IQ front 3

Could it be that Declan Rice is so overrated due to being English?
What exactly is he good at ? Defending? Passing? Scoring?
Watch him for Arsenal. This is all on Southgate.

How odd that Rice/Foden/Bellingham/Kane/TAA have ALL been poor this tournament, and ALL are in different roles to their club teams.

Also no surprise that Walker/Saka are playing their club team roles, and have been 2 of the best in the opening games.

Change the formation and tactics and Englands issues are fixed instantly.
Foden isn't good on the LW. Either he needs to be central or RW.
Kane was playing in a 9.5 for Bayern. He is an out and out 9 and leading the line that doesn't suit him.
TAA isn't a CM. 2 games now we have seen that fail.
Bellingham had an amazing season as a false 9 but can't play that role with Kane in that space.
Rice is having to do his job and cover TAA.

The easy fix is to have either 4-2-3-1;
Kane
Gordon/Foden/Saka
Rice/Bellingham
And have Bellingham make late runs into the box, and better utilise Foden centrally.

Or a 4-3-3 but in reality with Kane dropping deep and Bellingham and Foden being more central its really a 4-3-1-2
Bellingham/Foden
Kane
Gallagher or Gordon/Rice/Saka
And have Kane dropping deep and have Foden and Bellingham as narrow LW/RW forwards.

Spain are unreal. Got to be favourites now. They smashed Italy and Croatia. The score line flattered Italy it should have been 3 or 4.
The issue might be how wasteful they have been the first 2 games and the scoreline against Croatia doesn't tell the full story of the match and how Croatia missed 2 easy chances to possibly push the game to a draw.
If this continues I could see a game where they lose because they weren't clinical enough.
20 shots, 8 on target for a 1-0 win.

I know most people don't totally rate xG but in their first match Spains xG was 1.83 but they scored 3 goals from terrible defending, meanwhile Croatias xG was 2.19 but they totally shanked their chances from equally bad defending.

So while the scoreline last night favoured Italy who were poor, the scoreline in MD1 favoured Spain.

That said, I still have Spain and Germany as my picks for the final.

Grealish would’ve been a solid option at CM.

Phillips need to fire whoever thought it was a great idea to go to Man City from Leeds
Probably himself.

Watch him for Arsenal. This is all on Southgate.

How odd that Rice/Foden/Bellingham/Kane/TAA have ALL been poor this tournament, and ALL are in different roles to their club teams.

Also no surprise that Walker/Saka are playing their club team roles, and have been 2 of the best in the opening games.

Change the formation and tactics and Englands issues are fixed instantly.
Foden isn't good on the LW. Either he needs to be central or RW.
Kane was playing in a 9.5 for Bayern. He is an out and out 9 and leading the line that doesn't suit him.
TAA isn't a CM. 2 games now we have seen that fail.
Bellingham had an amazing season as a false 9 but can't play that role with Kane in that space.
Rice is having to do his job and cover TAA.

The easy fix is to have either 4-2-3-1;
Kane
Gordon/Foden/Saka
Rice/Bellingham
And have Bellingham make late runs into the box, and better utilise Foden centrally.

Or a 4-3-3 but in reality with Kane dropping deep and Bellingham and Foden being more central its really a 4-3-1-2
Bellingham/Foden
Kane
Gallagher or Gordon/Rice/Saka
And have Kane dropping deep and have Foden and Bellingham as narrow LW/RW forwards.

It doesn't suit Kane to be in the Haaland role. He hasn't got great pace. But he's probably the best in the world at dropping from CF into midfield, linking up the play, then getting back in the middle to finish. I would pick the team around that. As you say, a front 4 of Kane, Gordon, Foden and Saka. I would drop Bellingham to the bench and use him as an impact player.

Ideally you would put players in their club positions but top players are pretty adaptable. The problem seems to be more that the players don't understand what is expected of them. Most of them play in club teams that press high up the field but England haven't done that effectively and end up under pressure in a low block. The lack of tactical cohesion is leading to individual errors and lack of confidence.

England are probably the worst international team to watch despite having some great flair players. It's a reflection on Southgate. The FA love him because he says all the right things but he's tactically inept and very uninspirational.

Remove this Banner Ad

UEFA EURO 2024 (Winners: Spain)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back