UEFA EURO 2024 (Winners: Spain)

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like a small handful of Dutch malcontents have taken to chucking things at French players taking corners.

Putrid behaviour. Only saw the Griezmann one did it happen another time?

Shame because it’s been a good game

Now, should this be chalked off or not? VAR is taking a look... in an offside position but didn't touch the ball, is he or is he not impeding the 'keeper? Officials are taking a while... no goal! Dutch are not happy.

Now, should this be chalked off or not? VAR is taking a look... in an offside position but didn't touch the ball, is he or is he not impeding the 'keeper? Officials are taking a while... no goal! Dutch are not happy.
Blocking the keeper from diving for it from an offside position. Good call I reckon.

Blocking the keeper from diving for it from an offside position. Good call I reckon.
I'm not sure myself, I can see why it wasn't given, but I can also see how it might have been. It may take the wind out of Dutch sails now, they have to make sure their heads don't drop.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It doesn't suit Kane to be in the Haaland role. He hasn't got great pace. But he's probably the best in the world at dropping from CF into midfield, linking up the play, then getting back in the middle to finish. I would pick the team around that. As you say, a front 4 of Kane, Gordon, Foden and Saka. I would drop Bellingham to the bench and use him as an impact player.

Ideally you would put players in their club positions but top players are pretty adaptable. The problem seems to be more that the players don't understand what is expected of them. Most of them play in club teams that press high up the field but England haven't done that effectively and end up under pressure in a low block. The lack of tactical cohesion is leading to individual errors and lack of confidence.

England are probably the worst international team to watch despite having some great flair players. It's a reflection on Southgate. The FA love him because he says all the right things but he's tactically inept and very uninspirational.
Honestly if I was dropping anyone based on the first two games its Kane, he is not moving well and hasn't since his injury at Bayern.
But they won't even though they should.

Drop Kane and run with
Gordon/Bellingham/Saka
Foden
Rice/Gallagher

Thats pace to press from the front 3, it gets TAA out of midfield, it gets Foden off the LW and it has pace to play the pressing game Soufgate "claims" he wants them playing in midfield as well.

It doesn't suit Kane to be in the Haaland role. He hasn't got great pace. But he's probably the best in the world at dropping from CF into midfield, linking up the play, then getting back in the middle to finish. I would pick the team around that. As you say, a front 4 of Kane, Gordon, Foden and Saka. I would drop Bellingham to the bench and use him as an impact player.

Ideally you would put players in their club positions but top players are pretty adaptable. The problem seems to be more that the players don't understand what is expected of them. Most of them play in club teams that press high up the field but England haven't done that effectively and end up under pressure in a low block. The lack of tactical cohesion is leading to individual errors and lack of confidence.

England are probably the worst international team to watch despite having some great flair players. It's a reflection on Southgate. The FA love him because he says all the right things but he's tactically inept and very uninspirational.
Bellingham to the bench?
Yeah that’s not happening.

Have always been ridiculed for this, for 5+ years, but you know what’s the problem with the team? Kane.
He wants to be the central point in attack. Therefore he comes out of attack and into the middle.
Leaves no one up front. No one to attack the offside trap.

Ideally in a team such as Saka, Foden, Bellingham you have Watkins, Toney up forward and just let them up forward.

Southgate and Kane are untouchable

Looking at that disallowed goal from behind the goal, and I don't think the keeper would have got near the shot if the Dutch player wasn't in the way.

So while I don't think it was a howler, I now think it was probably a pretty harsh call.

Looking at that disallowed goal from behind the goal, and I don't think the keeper would have got near the shot if the Dutch player wasn't in the way.

So while I don't think it was a howler, I now think it was probably a pretty harsh call.

The law talks about
  • interfering with an opponent by:
    • preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
    • challenging an opponent for the ball or
    • clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or
    • making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball
I don't think the forward was guilty of any of those offences.

Stuart Attwell was on VAR. This is the second controversial incident he's been involved with after not referring Michael Oliver to the monitor for a red card after the clear DOGSO by Rodri against Croatia.

Remove this Banner Ad

UEFA EURO 2024 (Winners: Spain)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back