UEFA EURO 2024 (Quarter Finals) - On Optus Sport

Remove this Banner Ad

No. Foden does not play on the left. Ever. So he is either central (where he wants to play) or right.

But Saka is also right - until Southgate puts him on the left and he does SFA 😳

Mainoo actually played ok but Foden is better. And shoehorning Foden on the left because that is all that is left is a complete waste.

Trippier was actually the only player who did anything down the left - and he is apparently Englands 3rd best right back.

It is actually ridiculous.

None of that answers my question. You said he's playing Mainoo instead of playing Foden there. Are you suggesting Foden's normal position is in Mainoo's role?

Southgates problems all stem from not being able to drop one of Foden or Bellingham.

You can only play one and they have to play off Kane in a sort of central 10 role. Then have Kane leading the line, actual wingers playing wide and a double pivot behind the 10.

Rice and whoever you want, a water carrier like Gallagher or Mainoo next to him.

Then play your most creative player in TAA at RB instead of the old useless Walker. Trippier I guess is fine on the left.

Gordon Kane Saka
Foden
Rice Mainoo
Trippier Guehi Stones TAA
Pickford

Bellingham will be annoyed but you can rotate them, he should have rotated them in the group stage and in qualifiers to see who best works in the role off of Kane. Then in the big games you make the call on who will be better there be it Foden or Bellingham.

But Southgate is just doing what England always does, shoehorns all its best players into a team and abandoning team structure as if just having 11 blokes who are really good at football will get the job done.

None of that answers my question. You said he's playing Mainoo instead of playing Foden there. Are you suggesting Foden's normal position is in Mainoo's role?
Mainoo was on the right side of midfield. Englands best player on the right side of midfield is Foden. Then probably Palmer. Mainoo is very good but also very young.

My team would be;

Pickford
TAA/Walker - Stones - Guehi - Trippier (Shaw when fit)
Foden - Rice - Wharton
Saka - Kane - Bellingham

Wharton might not be in the best 11 players in England but at least everyone would be playing in their preferred position except maybe Bellingham but at least he has played on the left - and obviously Trippier - maybe put Gomez there, revert to a back three in offence and let TAA go nuts.

Just watching the England game now and it is funny.

The idea that Mainoo is playing central midfield ahead of Foden is absurd.

The idea that Trippier is playing at all is absurd.

The idea that Walker is ahead of TAA because he is better defensively is absurd - Walker has been appalling defensively and non-existent offensively.

Southgate could at least start by playing their best player - Foden - in his correct position.

Surely it is not that hard to see.

Mainoo is playing double pivot alongside Rice which is where he plays for United.

Foden is playing on the left because Bellingham is playing centrally and Saka is on the right. Bellingham's two goals were spectacular but apart from that he's not played well. He hangs onto the ball too long and has been losing possession. I would start with Foden in the middle, Bellingham on the bench and bring him on as an impact player. Palmer has been better than Saka when he's come off the bench.

LB is a big problem. Trippier is defensively sound but has no left foot so the ball nearly always goes back to where it came from. When Trippier has been subbed off it's been very makeshift. Walker, Konsa, Saka, Eze have all had a few minutes there. It was known that Shaw would not be available so these experiments should have been tried in the warm up games not in the middle of a tournament.

Mainoo is playing double pivot alongside Rice which is where he plays for United.

Foden is playing on the left because Bellingham is playing centrally and Saka is on the right. Bellingham's two goals were spectacular but apart from that he's not played well. He hangs onto the ball too long and has been losing possession. I would start with Foden in the middle, Bellingham on the bench and bring him on as an impact player. Palmer has been better than Saka when he's come off the bench.

LB is a big problem. Trippier is defensively sound but has no left foot so the ball nearly always goes back to where it came from. When Trippier has been subbed off it's been very makeshift. Walker, Konsa, Saka, Eze have all had a few minutes there. It was known that Shaw would not be available so these experiments should have been tried in the warm up games not in the middle of a tournament.
Mostly agree. Bellingham has to be on though.

Southgates problems all stem from not being able to drop one of Foden or Bellingham.

You can only play one and they have to play off Kane in a sort of central 10 role. Then have Kane leading the line, actual wingers playing wide and a double pivot behind the 10.

Rice and whoever you want, a water carrier like Gallagher or Mainoo next to him.

Then play your most creative player in TAA at RB instead of the old useless Walker. Trippier I guess is fine on the left.

Gordon Kane Saka
Foden
Rice Mainoo
Trippier Guehi Stones TAA
Pickford

Bellingham will be annoyed but you can rotate them, he should have rotated them in the group stage and in qualifiers to see who best works in the role off of Kane. Then in the big games you make the call on who will be better there be it Foden or Bellingham.

But Southgate is just doing what England always does, shoehorns all its best players into a team and abandoning team structure as if just having 11 blokes who are really good at football will get the job done.
Why accomodate both Bellingham and Foden? Allow the both to play behind a key striker. But Kane would never be dropped

I missed the first 25 or so minutes, but the Netherlands looked a lot better today. That last goal from Malen was quite impressive too.

Last edited:
Why accomodate both Bellingham and Foden? Allow the both to play behind a key striker. But Kane would never be dropped
I mean you could probably play Bellingham much deeper alongside Rice with Foden in front. Then a more natural front three rather than shunting Foden wide. Saka has been poor all tournament so I'd bring in Palmer as well to play on the right.

Quarter finals

Saturday, 06 Jul 2024
02:00 Spain v Germany​
05:00 Portugal v France​

Sunday, 07 Jul 2024
02:00 England v Switzerland​
05:00 Netherlands v Turkiye​

* AEST

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quarter finals

Saturday, 06 Jul 2024
02:00 Spain v Germany​
05:00 Portugal v France​

Sunday, 07 Jul 2024
02:00 England v Switzerland​
05:00 Netherlands v Turkiye​

* AEST

Pick of the bunch is Spain vs Germany IMO.

In the end, the Netherland/Turkey match will probably be the most exciting and attacking.

Saka has been poor all tournament so I'd bring in Palmer as well to play on the right.

Have you actually watched the games, or do you base your opinion on a 3 minute highlight package when you wake up?

Honestly, I would love everyone here to get there wish of replacing Saka, the only player in the team willing stay wide, with Palmer, another player looking to get central.

I would find it hilarious if England went with 4 players looking to occupy the number 10 position, instead of just 3 like they currently have.

Have you actually watched the games, or do you base your opinion on a 3 minute highlight package when you wake up?

Honestly, I would love everyone here to get there wish of replacing Saka, the only player in the team willing stay wide, with Palmer, another player looking to get central.

I would find it hilarious if England went with 4 players looking to occupy the number 10 position, instead of just 3 like they currently have.

Who would want to subject themselves to more than 3 minutes of an England game?

Just cos he plays for your team doesnt mean he hasnt been average. He's had no impact at all throughout this tourney.

England-Switzerland will be a snoozefest.

England play a bit like West Ham under Moyes. Quite defensive and boring but it can be effective. They have been very fortunate to get through to this stage but have some quality players who can win games.

Switzerland play like Brighton under Potter. They retain the ball well but can be a bit toothless in the final third. Scotland made it a scrappy game where Xhaka couldn't dictate the play and got a 1-1 draw.

Just cos he plays for your team doesnt mean he hasnt been average. He's had no impact at all throughout this tourney.
I mean he set up the goal for Englands first tournament win, and should have had a goal against Slovenia, and if you watch the strategy break downs online Saka has been far from the worst. The Athletic did a great video recently showing some of the issues the England team have.
Things like how Saka keeps wide and Walker overlaps, especially in the first two group games, but then you have this issue on the opposite wing:
1720016871306.png

Bellingham drifts left, Kane drops deep but also drifts left and Foden on the left drifts centrally and you end up with no space. Meanwhile look at the space someone can run into behind Saka, which is where Bellingham should be, instead there isn't. So when Saka and Walker made space in games, theres no one to play in.

It also doesn't help that Garry has set up the team to be very risk averse, so even if Bellingham stayed at right 8 or central where he could make those runs, seems he isn't instructed to.

Saka and Walker have done their job for most of the tournament, they have made space for others and also generated goal assists themselves, they are being let down by poor tactics and formations.

You can say Saka has been average this tournament, most of the English team have been. But most pundits have Englands top 3 this tournament as Guehi, Bellingham and then Saka. Saka has definitely not had "no impact" this tourny.

I mean he set up the goal for Englands first tournament win, and should have had a goal against Slovenia, and if you watch the strategy break downs online Saka has been far from the worst. The Athletic did a great video recently showing some of the issues the England team have.
Things like how Saka keeps wide and Walker overlaps, especially in the first two group games, but then you have this issue on the opposite wing:
View attachment 2037896

Bellingham drifts left, Kane drops deep but also drifts left and Foden on the left drifts centrally and you end up with no space. Meanwhile look at the space someone can run into behind Saka, which is where Bellingham should be, instead there isn't. So when Saka and Walker made space in games, theres no one to play in.

It also doesn't help that Garry has set up the team to be very risk averse, so even if Bellingham stayed at right 8 or central where he could make those runs, seems he isn't instructed to.

Saka and Walker have done their job for most of the tournament, they have made space for others and also generated goal assists themselves, they are being let down by poor tactics and formations.

You can say Saka has been average this tournament, most of the English team have been. But most pundits have Englands top 3 this tournament as Guehi, Bellingham and then Saka. Saka has definitely not had "no impact" this tourny.
Disagree. He's been super average. Not really his fault. Everyone has been super average thanks to Southgate's woeful tactics. Guehi hasnt been that good either, was completely asleep for the goal they conceded in their last game, letting the Slovakia player just run right past him, he reacts but its too late.

England have been shit to a man.

Saka has had no impact. But he's not alone.

View attachment 2037896

England have played poorly all tournament and were a bee's endophallus from being sent home. Southgate is so slow on the uptake or pig-headed that the only changes he has made to the starting line-up has been who plays next to Rice in the double pivot.

It all went out of the window when they were chasing the game against Slovakia. Three centre backs with randoms at left back, long balls to Toney, Palmer instead of Saka. Look at that space on the right where Palmer likes to drive into.

But instead of Southgate learning from the poor performances and make big changes, I'm expecting him to either name an unchanged line-up or just put Gallagher back in to negate Xhaka.

Goalkeeper is indirectly a problem. The defenders and mids are not creating the triangles to play out of defence or move the ball forward. England go back to the GK more than any other team. But Pickford is very limited on the ball and tends to hoof it long, with the ball soon coming back in the opposite direction, putting pressure on the low block that they keep falling back into.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back