UFA - James Frawley

Remove this Banner Ad

Good review.

I thought his defence was well down on the weekend but his offence coming out of the backline was what kept him from having a shocker. His disposal skills are a lot better then last year & he likes to run the ball out which draws players & helps create a free man.

Does he keep his spot? Yes, and probably gets first crack at J Brown on Saturday - presuming Fev plays in the goalsquare.

Granted Frawley would be a good match up on Brown, Warnock would get slaughtered by Fev due to his lack of pace.

Frawley to go to FEV, he seems really comfortable playing on the last line. Wilst Warnock with a more mature body can go with Brown he doesn't have fev's explosive pace of the mark, Warnock is quite comfortable up the ground also.

I think he will be a good player but was it worth using such a high draft pick in a strong draft? Time will tell.

All I know is that at this stage I'd much prefer Jack Riewoldt (pick 13) but again, gotta wait a year or 2 before feeding "Chip" to the wolves.
This post by me in September 2008 is proof in the pudding that you gotta give the taller types time before making judgements.

I mean, do you think I would still prefer Jack ****ing Riewoldt over Chip? LOL

Round 5 vs Brisbane- 50 point win

Rating: 8/10
Kicks: 8
Handballs: 6
Marks: 6
Tackles: 1
Free Kicks: 2 for
Efficiency: 79%
Clangers: 1
Opponent: J Brown (1 goal)

DT Score: 60
SC Score: 92

Pros: Gave J Brown an absolute bath. Was really good all night, although he was made to look like a superstar by Brown, who really shouldn't have played. Brown looked really underdone and I'd be surprised if he got up for this week.
That said, Chip's body work, defensive play (multiple spoils, punches etc) were exceptional.

Cons: Didn't give a heap of run, and i was surprised he got 14 touches, but I guess DB told him specifically to wear Brown like a glove... and that he did.

Does he keep his spot? Yes. Things are looking a bit shaky for J Rivers these days, given how well Frawley, Warnock and Garland are performing.

frawley_dive_dees_460-300x200.jpg

Symptomatic of the whole night, really. Dees flying, Lions battling.

Round 8 vs West Coast- 29 point loss :(

Rating: 6.5/10
Kicks: 8
Handballs: 13
Marks: 4
Tackles: 2
Free Kicks: 2 for
Efficiency: 90%
Clangers: 0
Opponent: McKinley? Lynch at times when NN was forward.

DT Score: 70
SC Score: 107

Pros: Some good run out of defence with great efficiency.

Cons: Probably should've played on Kennedy, who was too fast and strong for Rivers. Not Chip's fault obviously, but still.

Does he keep his spot? Yes. Best defender.

Round 10 vs Geelong- 54 point loss :(

Rating: 8/10
Kicks: 13
Handballs: 7
Marks: 6
Tackles: 0
Free Kicks: 0
Efficiency: 80%
Opponent: Stevie J mostly

DT Score: 71
SC Score: 74

Pros: A lot ofgood run out of defence, hit up some good targets when there were targets to hit.
Kept Johnson quiet after the first 10 minutes (he kicked 2 goals early).
Was one of about 4 good players today, along with Davey, Green and Gysberts.

Cons: We needed Chip on Pods.Rivers is making the whole defence look bad.

Does he keep his spot? Yes. Why do I even bother putting this bit in?

FYI thought he was about a 7.5 against Port last week. Having a great season.

Round 12 QBD vs Collingwood - draw :|

Rating: 8.5/10
Kicks: 14
Handballs: 9
Marks: 5
Tackles: 3
Free Kicks: 1 against
Efficiency: 83%
Opponent: Cloke/Medhurst

DT Score: 84
SC Score: 82

Pros: A really complete game - run from defence, creavitity, shutdown jobs. One of our best.
The entire backline gelled today. Enjoyed it.

Cons: Couldn't see many today... except for the draw itself.

Round 16 vs Fremantle - 11 point loss

Chip played on Pavlich mostly, and did a massive job on the big man. Had 16 touches and 8 marks I think, and kept Pav goalless and largely to little influence. Huge game from Frawley, 9/10.

just a genuine star player now

Round 17 - Sydney
IMO was his best game for the year (hence career), heaps of rebound, an epic chase on Jetta, who he matched for pace, and just general dominance down back.

Round 18 - Brisbane
I didn't notice him as much, but he did another massive job on J Brown, who was very quiet by his lofty standards.

Round 19 - Richmond

Absolutely towelled up J Riewoldt, but was still p1ssed off when he finally conceded a one-on-one late in the fourth. Had 16 touches himself, more than double JR's tally I suspect. Many rated him BOG.

AA looking more and more likely now.

You tend to have to earn AA's over a couple of years (wrongly IMO, but that is the trend).

Can't see him getting in there even with a big last three weeks. Be intriguing to see whether he gets Buddy next week as Garland has done the job before.

You tend to have to earn AA's over a couple of years (wrongly IMO, but that is the trend).

Can't see him getting in there even with a big last three weeks. Be intriguing to see whether he gets Buddy next week as Garland has done the job before.

Good call, accurate call, unfortunate call, fix-the-system call. :(

As for Buddy, I reckon they'll switch it up a bit, esp if Roughie has another bad day.

Fantastic year, second in the B&F and hopefully will get AA selection because he does deserve it. Never got beaten and gave us plenty of drive. 9\10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AA Selection tops off a fantastic year for J. 'Chip' Frawley... as LS said, also 2nd in the Bluey. Another year anywhere near that level and he's in the top 5 backmen in the comp, if not already there.

After my inspired decision to jump on the Chip bandwagon early last year, I'm back for another year of following The Neck.

Round 2 - 45 point loss to the Hawks

After missing Rd 1 (torn pec of course), Chip was rushed back in a little bit, and it showed. While he was far from our worst, his lack of match fitness was obvious to all. He gave a bit of run early in the match, but faded late. Not sure who he was playing on - a mix of Roughead, Burgoyne and Franklin. I thought he should have got more of a go with Buddy, but I guess Bailey was worried about his fitness levels.

He'll keep his spot, of course, and be better for the run. Should have a much easier time of it next week - 75 I50s is never going to make a defender look good.

Rounds 3 and 4 vs. the Prides of Queensland

Both weeks saw a still-underdone Chip take the park. He's slowly working back to form but still has a way to go. To be fair he's barely had an opponent for the last two weeks (Brennan against the Suns I think) so maybe when he gets a proper assignment he'll come into his own. Hopefully the FD aren't too worried to pull the trigger and play him on, say, Kennedy against the Eagles or Tippett/Walker against the Crows, as I think that's what he needs to really get going again.

Round 6 vs. West Coast

Rating: 4/10

Chip was pretty damn poor last night. Still looks underdone, and was led to the ball most of the time. TBF, he did have to deal with a fair bit of lace-out delivery (was playing mostly on Kennedy I think) but he was never really in the game. Many think he needs to find some touch at Casey... and I think I'm with them. A damn shame, but it may have to be done. That said, he probably has about 3 years worth of credit with the match committee.

Round 7 vs. Adelaide - a return to form

Chip was back near his best today. Played on T. Walker for most of the day, and gave him an absolute towelling. Walker hardly got near it, and Chip himself provided stacks of run from the back half, which was useful given the absence of Grimes from 5 minutes in.

8.5/10 - our best defender, and that's saying a bit.

Round 9 vs. St Kilda

I thought Chip held his own against Reiwoldt, despite the latter being almost BOG. Given the speed with which the ball was flying forward for them, it was another tough day at the office for the defence, especially when Tapscott went down. In his absence Frawley provided some decent service on the Rebound... made to look bad when there was zero spread upfield.

Good call.

Have been lazy the past few weeks... meanwhile Chip has just been keeping on. Hasn't starred like he did last year, but that's to be expected given his preseason. One of our most crucial players, and has been in good form. Did a good job on Dawes last week (should have played more time on Cloke) and didn't have to do all that much against Freo yesterday. He was on Mayne much of the day I think, and played well as usual.

Round 14

Frawley was one of our best, and probably had his own best game for the year, as he towelled up an admittedly underdone Reiwoldt. Jack could barely take a trick all day, and Chip made him look second class.

Round 17 - Melbourne vs. Port

I thought it was Frawley's best game so far this year. He destroyed an in-form Schulz, provided some excellent rebound and looked pretty much unstoppable. Seemed to have some serious confidence/arrogance/swagger about him - in a good way.

I liked it.

Chris Stubbs ‏@ChrisStubbsFOX
@melbournefc defender @jamesfrawley8 just limped in for scans in a moonboot struggled earlier in year with a calf, Dees can't take a trick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back