Ugly Parent Syndrome

Remove this Banner Ad

I just came across the excellent commercial featuring Ray Winstone regarding ugly parents and English junior soccer. It's brilliant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1lvMdT2GHk&feature=related

The AFL should look at producing one for junior AFL footballers.:thumbsu:

Couldn't agree anymore. This happens in just under half of all juniors games that take place, and as fellow umpires doing juniors games, we know how boring and dull they can get and the kids don't even argue with umpires. We need more parental involvement(abuse) to ensure more of an atmosphere to make games more interesting for all participants

It's just an ugly sight to see everyone attending a juniors game and enjoying the spirit of the game

I did some junior umpiring for 4 odd years and not all the blame can be put on the parents. I ended up quiting because most of the older umps I worked with got some massive power rush out of it and were very arrogant among other little things which just set the parents off more.

I only got the full ugly parent syndrome once and yes, she was just a bitch (doesn't have to be men). The rare occasions i received 'abuse' during games were for a valid reason like I did make a bad call. I didn't see it as abuse though. As a young umpire you need some criticism to learn to do the job better. If no one speaks out you get away with it.

Basically I don't think ugly parent syndrome is a massive problem in Australia, just judging on where I played my junior footy and when I umpired. It's also important to not scare parents off yelling at all because it keeps umpires honest.

You under-rate the excitement of being trapped in a confined space with five of your closest friends, waiting to rescued by the constabulary after gifting a grand final to the wrong team.

I did some junior umpiring for 4 odd years and not all the blame can be put on the parents. I ended up quiting because most of the older umps I worked with got some massive power rush out of it and were very arrogant among other little things which just set the parents off more.

I only got the full ugly parent syndrome once and yes, she was just a bitch (doesn't have to be men). The rare occasions i received 'abuse' during games were for a valid reason like I did make a bad call. I didn't see it as abuse though. As a young umpire you need some criticism to learn to do the job better. If no one speaks out you get away with it.

Basically I don't think ugly parent syndrome is a massive problem in Australia, just judging on where I played my junior footy and when I umpired. It's also important to not scare parents off yelling at all because it keeps umpires honest.
Absolutely agree Captain. i umpire in a junior league and I despair that a lot of young under 18's players dont use the sunday games to supplement the fitness just to get rid of some of these twenty year umpires that are only still umpiring either for the money or to get to their next milestone (1000, 300, 400 games etc etc). Its no good if someone has umpired 500 games if all of them were crappily umpired. Ugly parents and coaches are a blight...but so are ugly umpires

Absolutely agree Captain. i umpire in a junior league and I despair that a lot of young under 18's players dont use the sunday games to supplement the fitness just to get rid of some of these twenty year umpires that are only still umpiring either for the money or to get to their next milestone (1000, 300, 400 games etc etc). Its no good if someone has umpired 500 games if all of them were crappily umpired. Ugly parents and coaches are a blight...but so are ugly umpires

Age is irrelevant on this discussion. There a more junior umpires with their heads shoved up there ass compared to pension-building umpires

Worst abuse I've ever copped was at St Bernards in a WRFL U10 match. Very ordinary people there.

I have also looked very sideways - and in one case become an ugly parent myself - when watching some of the league umpires strut their stuff. The young ones do their best but if the guy coming out at quarter time to coach them is a tosser then they are on a hiding to nothing. And don't get me started on the certain WRFL umpire who can't run and instead shuffles slowly backward and forward due to his bad feet, and pulls strings of free kicks out of his arse so he can either catch up to the play or else have it come back towards him. He should have been forcibly retired years ago, and instead he's left to ruin junior games while being paid to do it. I never bag fellow umpires but in his case I make an exception.

Parents take the game more seriously then the kids (U/16 & below).

There's no doubting that at all.

I have umpired for five years now and I've only had one dude (U/16s) abuse me, but he was a complete nutter so brushed it off quickly. Most of the abuse comes from the sidelines, whether from parents or indeed wannabe coaches. Not sure if they know it has no effect on the game, though; someone better tell 'em.

Parents take the game more seriously then the kids (U/16 & below).

There's no doubting that at all.

I have umpired for five years now and I've only had one dude (U/16s) abuse me, but he was a complete nutter so brushed it off quickly. Most of the abuse comes from the sidelines, whether from parents or indeed wannabe coaches. Not sure if they know it has no effect on the game, though; someone better tell 'em.

you umpire stkilda city games?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ugly Parent Syndrome

Remove this Banner Ad

Back