Roast Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

It does actually sound like the kind of thing that would be hard to stop doing if you've been doing it your whole life. Like trying to correct your golf swing.

I hadn't noticed Christensen doing it from the time he started playing. I may have had the blinkers on, but I've only been seeing it the last couple of seasons.

If Thomas is deliberately trying to make a change, then I'm sure Christensen could be attempting the same. Don't see it happening until he feels the glare of the media spotlight like Thomas has.

As for trying to fix it... like any habit in sport, once you've learned it you can unlearn it; it just requires attention and practice. It just gets harder the longer you leave it. Can always change it though.

Anyone else notice how against Brisbane they let a lot of stuff go in the 1st half and then started cracking down hard in the 2nd half? I know they speak to umpiring coaches at half time but they shouldn't be changing interpretations half way through a match.

Anyone else notice how against Brisbane they let a lot of stuff go in the 1st half and then started cracking down hard in the 2nd half? I know they speak to umpiring coaches at half time but they shouldn't be changing interpretations half way through a match.

Kind of the opposite of the Geelong game, where it was like a game of under 12s in the first half, then they put the whistle away at half time.

I don't get how the AFL can allow a delisted St Kilda player to umpire Fremantle games under Ross Lyon. There are clearly hard feelings at play and they stood out like Kangaroo balls during the Geelong game.

If they knew for certain that the umpires were gonna rape them like this, I doubt Freo would've even traveled.

Just terrible calls (and non-calls too) all day. Sydney played great, there's no denying that, but they were definitely helped out.

Looks like it'll be another Sydney/Hawthorn GF.

What can we actually do? Has our administration sent a please explain to the AFL? HAs Ross had a word today? Something's gotta give because this is beyond a joke.

Ross will never say anything. Never has, never will.

I would be surprised if he even mentions the delayed flights/missing defenders etc.

That was gut wrenching. Seriously - I can handle us losing if we are simply beaten by the better side on the day, who simply, despite our best efforts, outplays and outscores us. If we are playing like crap and we deserve to lose, then so be it.

But to be umpired out of it with totally biased and inconsistent calls which favour the opposition and their so-called 'stars' (Buddy, Goodes, SJohnson, Selwood, Bartel, MMurphy - even Hodge who is probably my favourite non-Freo player) while getting nothing for our 'stars' (Pav gets held every time the ball comes in, Sandilands get his arms chopped repeatedly, Ballas gets pushed in the back and has his head ripped off every game, and Fyfe gets smashed and held and then rubbed out for bullshit 'misdemeanours') then that's when I get bitter.

Yes I am bitter.

There is nothing fair about this competition. Nothing fair at all. We are successful off the field, and we are in a traditional footy state, and we are the 'new arrivals' after the mob up the road... So there is no reason to give us anything, not a scrap of anything, not even a fair and equal run in the way our games and our players are adjudicated.

But to invest time, money and emotional energy into a sport that is so blatantly unfair and skewed towards certain teams and certain outcomes, is gut wrenching.

Swans outplayed us today in many facets of the game, but we were never given an opportunity to get our game on thanks to appalling and biased umpiring. Thanks for nothing AFL. You're ****ed as a competition and as administrators and we see right through you. You have ruined the best game in the world.

What can we actually do?

Absolutely nothing I suspect. Whinge about it loudly, cause it makes us feel better, but we are nothing more than the AFL equivalent of a battered wife, if we try and fight back we will cop it twice as hard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Umpiring wasn't great, but at the end of the day it didn't cost us the match. Can't fault our guys effort, but Swans had better composure when it counted.

That was gut wrenching. Seriously - I can handle us losing if we are simply beaten by the better side on the day, who simply, despite our best efforts, outplays and outscores us. If we are playing like crap and we deserve to lose, then so be it.

But to be umpired out of it with totally biased and inconsistent calls which favour the opposition and their so-called 'stars' (Buddy, Goodes, SJohnson, Selwood, Bartel, MMurphy - even Hodge who is probably my favourite non-Freo player) while getting nothing for our 'stars' (Pav gets held every time the ball comes in, Sandilands get his arms chopped repeatedly, Ballas gets pushed in the back and has his head ripped off every game, and Fyfe gets smashed and held and then rubbed out for bullshit 'misdemeanours') then that's when I get bitter.

Yes I am bitter.

There is nothing fair about this competition. Nothing fair at all. We are successful off the field, and we are in a traditional footy state, and we are the 'new arrivals' after the mob up the road... So there is no reason to give us anything, not a scrap of anything, not even a fair and equal run in the way our games and our players are adjudicated.

But to invest time, money and emotional energy into a sport that is so blatantly unfair and skewed towards certain teams and certain outcomes, is gut wrenching.

Swans outplayed us today in many facets of the game, but we were never given an opportunity to get our game on thanks to appalling and biased umpiring. Thanks for nothing AFL. You're ****** as a competition and as administrators and we see right through you. You have ruined the best game in the world.

What can you expect when the league boss says this at a Swans function before the game
6 - AFL boss full of praise for Swans
During Saturday's pre-match function, AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan handed the McClelland Trophy to Swans president Andrew Pridham for taking out this year's minor premiership. McLachlan then had some very strong words for how far the Swans have come in the AFL. Once a club on the brink of ruin, it has now made the finals in 11 of the past 12 seasons. "The Swans were a club no one associated with September," McLachlan said. "They almost exclusively played from March to August each year. Now, it's a club everyone thinks about when September rolls around. This is a club that effectively owns the month of September. This year, they managed to conquer all before them, despite being saddled with enormous expectations."

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

Back