Roast Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

Sandi got 2 free kicks which were there. I don't think there were others he should have got but one was paid against him for "shepherding" which was an absolute joke as all he did was jump early which is the same as all ruckmen do against him to combat his height. All of the free kicks paid against Silvanis were there as he made no attempt to go for the ball but simply pushed his opponent away from it without even looking at it, Fair dinkum I don't think I've ever seen anybody as clueless and I'm glad you'll have McPharlin back for the finals as Silvani is a liabilty.

Who's this Silvani you speak of?

Who's this Silvani you speak of?

SCOS is in the Witness Protection Program now so has changed his name.

Other than that Winky is on the money.

I actually think Silvani* probably gave away another 2 or 3.

Frees aside, and it's a minor thing in the scheme of things, but I wish the umpires would learn to bounce the ball correctly. Whenever they have to recall it - and it happened shitloads on the weekend - it advantages the inferior ruck and centre clearance team, giving them a second look at our set up and stoppage play.

Nothing to see here Mr Dalgleish?

1922cb64_o.jpeg

That's a free to Lycett for an illegal shepherd.

We were very poor and undisciplined yesterday but the "we were first to the ball therefore we got the frees" thing is crap. When we smashed the Weags in contested footy in round 3 we still comprehensively lost the free kick count. It's suss, very suss. It was actually the only statistical area we lost.
Maybe that was because you stopped playing after the first quarter and Eagle's were trying to win some pride back, But anyway loving this thread !

Frees aside, and it's a minor thing in the scheme of things, but I wish the umpires would learn to bounce the ball correctly. Whenever they have to recall it - and it happened shitloads on the weekend - it advantages the inferior ruck and centre clearance team, giving them a second look at our set up and stoppage play.
Bouncing was woeful yesterday, sometimes in the wet they're allowed to just throw it up, don't see why they don't revert to that after having a few quarters of shocking bouncing. Recalling every other bounce is ridiculous.

Bouncing was woeful yesterday, sometimes in the wet they're allowed to just throw it up, don't see why they don't revert to that after having a few quarters of shocking bouncing. Recalling every other bounce is ridiculous.

Well if you think the bouncing was bad, I'm flipping my opinion to say the bouncing was just fine.

I won't be agreeing with any dirty bird.

Umpire bashing always comes across as sour grapes.

We were terrible in the first quarter and thats where the game was lost.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The blocking rule really has to be clarified. Both of the blocking calls were really poor and actually looked more like contests rather than blocking.

Especially the one where Fyfe marked it and Walters was trying to go for the mark.

Are there any clear stats on free kicks for/against all the AFL teams aside from individually counting every game?
Nothing official that I'm aware of - and I've tried. It's kept under guard, somewhere.

This is a part of the problem - because you don't want to be "that club", the questions don't seem to get asked. Because no one is demanding those statistics, we don't get them. Any debates on umpire performance become divided across club lines, and that only makes it even harder to determine whether or not there is a problem. It can't ever be established that there might be an issue when every time the question is raised, half the supporters in the AFL are howling that you're making excuses.

I do think there does need to be a serious enquiry into it. Particularly, I want to see those stats not just for every game, but a study done into the habits of individual umpires.
We all know who they are.

umpires have very little to do with the final outcome, over the last few years since freo have got respect in the AFL I've actually found the umpiring to be quite fair in our games.

I'd be more worried about our terrible disposal which is something we can control instead of umpiring.
Like this.
In absolutely no way is this relevant to the question on whether umpires are performing well, biased, or whether there is actually a cancer man nudging a few things behind the scenes.

Yet this type of response ensures that nothing will ever be looked into.

Wheres the rest of what I asked for?
Geez, if you want to count frees for and against just look at the games summary.

Wheres the rest of what I asked for?
Geez, if you want to count frees for and against just look at the games summary.
Judging by the sense of entitlement on display here, I can only assume you're paying him for this service?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back