Analysis Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

i would call it incompetence if they missed frees for both sides.
Today they paid all to one side and completely ignored the other. As clear as day.
To me that is cheating.....in particular the ex Saints man.

i would call it incompetence if they missed frees for both sides.
Today they paid all to one side and completely ignored the other. As clear as day.
To me that is cheating.....in particular the ex Saints man.
why? what possible reason have they got?

Calling yourself Nicholas won't make ya run any faster, Puss. Agree, would love the umps to be less intrusive. It seems they feel beholden to be involved at every contest. They just don't.

From the weekend, we had three things going against us, one totally unacceptable, one not good enough and the other acceptable.

Totally unacceptable: Leigh Fisher, a former Saints player awarding 15-3 free kicks to St. Kilda resulting in 4.3.27 to St Kilda. On the face of it, this is totally unacceptable. The umpire should be counselled and not allocated St Kilda games in future.

Not good enough: we a low ranking team, we suffer confirmation bias. Umpires make 50-50 decisions against us because we're the poorer team in the first place. This is a common decision making error that needs to be trained out of the umpires. That's the job of the umpiring department and they're failing miserably. (It's a bit analogous to how Michael Christian allows Mumford, Ablett, Fyfe etc do what what they want but pings the little known players for the same thing or less). Just not good enough.

Acceptable: a low interest game like St Kilda v Carlton will attract the worst umpires. We just need to accept that. Also, our bodies are weaker relative to other teams and this will change. Right now, we spin guys in tackles, but they get handballs away. We get spun and drop it. Late in games and quarters our tired bodies, without the preseasons of others, just don't react with the same precision. These things are 'acceptable' because it's where we are in 2019.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are on world record pace for “The most quarters in an AFL season without receiving a free kick”.

Not sure that award would look too bad in the cleaners room next to the wooden spoon collection.

doesnt work that way, smarty pants - I'm happy to accept incompetence as the reason stats seem skewed - if foolish people wanna bring up cheating and conspiracies the burden of proof is on them ....next ....

doesnt work that way, smarty pants - I'm happy to accept incompetence as the reason stats seem skewed - if foolish people wanna bring up cheating and conspiracies the burden of proof is on them ....next ....

the stats regarding Collingwood free count and that particular ump in St Kilda game aren't 'seemingly skewed' they are in fact telling.

Umpiring by the ex Saints bloke wasn't incompetent it was biased - based on statistical evidence - just like the free kick count against Collingwood was biased - I say this because of the amount of difference between 'normal ranges' and what was dished out in both cases. Statistical reference is the only tool one can use over a period of time to point to systems or umpires being ''out of control' - anything else is just anecdotal and justifiably refuted.

When there is such a discrepancy normal quality control procedure is to check the system for malfunction. That 11-3 count is shameful. It is also shameful to have an ex player of Club officiating in a Club game - game has to not only be 'clean' but also 'look' clean as far as unbiased umpiring goes.

the stats regarding Collingwood free count and that particular ump in St Kilda game aren't 'seemingly skewed' they are in fact telling.

Umpiring by the ex Saints bloke wasn't incompetent it was biased - based on statistical evidence - just like the free kick count against Collingwood was biased - I say this because of the amount of difference between 'normal ranges' and what was dished out in both cases. Statistical reference is the only tool one can use over a period of time to point to systems or umpires being ''out of control' - anything else is just anecdotal and justifiably refuted.

When there is such a discrepancy normal quality control procedure is to check the system for malfunction. That 11-3 count is shameful. It is also shameful to have an ex player of Club officiating in a Club game - game has to not only be 'clean' but also 'look' clean as far as unbiased umpiring goes.
Just to add to this, the umpiring may also have been influenced by two off field news pieces during the week:
1) Daisy fined for calling an umpire a cheat
2) Carlton issued "please explain" over crowd chant in collingwood game calling the umpire a w***er.

Both of these off field articles were directly related to the quality of umpiring in Carlton games, and yet somewhat ironically, may have caused an unintentional bias to be less lenient towards us.

I said earlier in the thread that the umpires were corrupt - that was my venting at half time after what I thought was a horrendously officiated quarter of football. I dont think the AFL is instructing umpires to pay less decisions towards us or influence the outcome of games - I instead believe that cognitive bias related to the above, and the fact we are deemed a shit team and likely to give away frees hurts us.

Just to add to this, the umpiring may also have been influenced by two off field news pieces during the week:
1) Daisy fined for calling an umpire a cheat
2) Carlton issued "please explain" over crowd chant in collingwood game calling the umpire a ******.

Both of these off field articles were directly related to the quality of umpiring in Carlton games, and yet somewhat ironically, may have caused an unintentional bias to be less lenient towards us.

I said earlier in the thread that the umpires were corrupt - that was my venting at half time after what I thought was a horrendously officiated quarter of football. I dont think the AFL is instructing umpires to pay less decisions towards us or influence the outcome of games - I instead believe that cognitive bias related to the above, and the fact we are deemed a **** team and likely to give away frees hurts us.

Wouldn't be surprised to see some bias creep into at the margin calls - plenty of historical evidence that suggests coaches HATE players giving umpires a bad time because it works against the team - human nature. but that 11-3 difference from the ONE umpire in the game - is ridiculously one sided - no excuses.

If you have access to the Kayo replay of last week's game and want to see a perfect example of why umpires/umpiring are so heavily criticised, go to 2:30:34 (about 10:11 to go in the 3rd Quarter if you have another replay - just after SPS's missed shot) and pause the vision. It's a marking contest involving Harry McKay, Luke Hodge and another Brisbane defender. The Bris defender (don't know his name sorry) is coming back with the flight, Harry is running toward the ball, and Hodge is coming in from the side. Hodge stops paying attention to the ball, looks across at Harry, steps into his path, blocks his run and the other Bris defender takes an uncontested mark.

If you pause at that moment, you can clearly see the umpire staring intently at this marking contest, from the perfect angle to see Hodge look at Harry and then get in his way. Hodge clearly has no intention whatsoever of contesting that mark. There's no congestion, it's not a frantic piece of play, the umpire clearly sees it and just elects not to pay the free to Harry.

Now, it's not the worst decision on the day by a long stretch, but earlier in the year they were red-hot on this 3rd man blocking in marking contests. But then, in subsequent weeks, when the focus is on other areas, they stop paying the free, even when it's obvious. Why does this happen? Why can't they remember that the rule exists and keep paying it throughout the year?

It's as though they focus solely on whatever is this week's "rule of the week" to the exception of others. The same thing happens with the sliding into the lower legs rule, amongst others.

It's this oscillation in rules and interpretations that is one of the most frustrating things about watching our game.

Just as an aside, have a guess which umpire it is ...
yep, the bald-headed flog :)

I was sitting behind the goals today and saw the poor call against weiters that gifted them a goal (yes umps make mistakes and we cost ourselves the game)

I was just asking if anyone around the ground or at home heard the chanting at them after that call?

Obviously it was loud being there but just want an outside perspective. Will it be brought up on radio this week?

Last edited:
We were robbed.
Plain and simple.
We are not liked by anyone with influence in this industry.
Waiting for umpiring calls today was an absolute farce and a complete waste of time and effort.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

Back