Roast Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

2 Games this year we've had the rub - Western and St. Kilda. The other 5, well, we've all discussed:

v Sydney: Rosebury, Pannel, Jennings
- Cost Essendon the game

v Carlton: Nicholls, Stewart, McBurney
- Cost Essendon 2 points

v Collingwood: Chamberlain, Ryan, Findlay
- Didn't cost Essendon the game but was poor both ways

v Gold Coast: Ritchie, Ryan, Nicholls
- No doubt in my mind tried to keep Gold Coast in the game.

v West Coast: Margetts, Kennedy, Leppard
- Could have cost Essendon the game and certainly cost us a bigger win.

2 Games this year we've had the rub - Western and St. Kilda. The other 5, well, we've all discussed:

v Sydney: Rosebury, Pannel, Jennings
- Cost Essendon the game

v Carlton: Nicholls, Stewart, McBurney
- Cost Essendon 2 points

v Collingwood: Chamberlain, Ryan, Findlay
- Didn't cost Essendon the game but was poor both ways

v Gold Coast: Ritchie, Ryan, Nicholls
- No doubt in my mind tried to keep Gold Coast in the game.

v West Coast: Margetts, Kennedy, Leppard
- Could have cost Essendon the game and certainly cost us a bigger win.

They didn,t do a very good job.
icon7.gif

I was extremely disappointed by the way our crowd pissed and moaned about the umpires all day. The guy near me only opened his mouth when it was carrying a complaint along the lines of "YOU'RE RUINING THE GAME - LET IT FLOW." Funnily enough, he only did this when West Coast got a free kick. He was contently silent when one of our blokes got one

I don't understand why people go to the football to waste their energy on yelling at the umpires. This just in: it doesn't make them change their decisions.

The crowd boo'd and carried on about some clear free kicks against us. Hepp's throw in the 3rd quarter (from memory) for one. The place went berserk even when the replay showed he threw it.

We're putting a winning team on the park for the first time in a long time (even in 2009 we hovered just above or below 50-50 wins and losses) and yet all our fans wanted to do today was complain. When the final siren went, there was 3 times as much booing for the umps as there were cheers for the side.

We knock off a team that smashed us twice last year, just came off a thumping win and had us by the balls in the first half and we decide to boo the umps rather than give the players the ovation they deserve?

Shithouse

If you were at the game today yelling abuse and booing heaps, try cheering for our blokes instead next time you go along. And try counting all the marginal free kicks/decisions that go for us (basically every one Gus gets, today when Cox moved Bellchambers out of the way in a ruck contest that resulted in a shot for goal when West Coast had all the momentum, the 12 times Hille could have been rubbed out last year but got off etc.)

I'm fairly confident there's not an AFL-led conspiracy against Essendon

/Rant

/I swear I'm not Jeff Gieschen

The crowd boo'd and carried on about some clear free kicks against us. Hepp's throw in the 3rd quarter (from memory) for one. The place went berserk even when the replay showed he threw it.

The crowd went beserk at that one because Naitanui had got away with it all bleeding day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the point everybody misses with umpiring, is the actual decisions dont get up peoples noses until the inconsistency comes in. If they are consistent with anything, right or wrong, thats fine.

But take yesterday, we are getting done for fairly red hot throws, when Nic Nat twice I believe was caught and threw it clear as day - one of them was the extremely obvious one handed handball - which I still think he missed with the punch, just let go is what irks everybody.

I said after the sydney game, it was like we were umpired with a different interpretation than sydney. Yea, if you analysed each individual decision sure you can make arguments, like Giesh does every week to protect them - but thats not the point.

In todays game, with todays rules - if you wanted to, you could find a free kick in pretty much every stoppage, every contest and every 20 seconds. Fact.

Take Holding the ball these days - it is a lottery what they call.

We were getting done for tiny little holds, sometimes not even seen on the replay at stoppages against Sydney. For 2 quarters, we nearly iced the game twice as was our dominance - yet wet given away 25 odd free kicks (yes, in TWO quarters) and received around 5 or less?

We were that undisciplined when we broke the game open to 4 goals twice?

The problem is accountability - they simply review everything in house, and the world can never have a go at them.

Whoever let Nic Nat throw that ball should have to face the question in public. Why?

it is only when the umpires know they are accountable, and not just to themselves, will we perhaps get consiseteny.

The perception in the world isnt about good or bad umpiring, it is about umpiring which seems skewed to one team or another. A much bigger issue.

I am with Mike Sheehan on this - making them professional wont fix anything if all else stays the same. Are you telling me the Nic Nat decision needed a guy who has no other job other than umpiring? You know the rules, you have eyes. The thing is, the same umpire will magically find the smallest of infringements minutes later.

/rant.

I was extremely disappointed by the way our crowd pissed and moaned about the umpires all day. The guy near me only opened his mouth when it was carrying a complaint along the lines of "YOU'RE RUINING THE GAME - LET IT FLOW." Funnily enough, he only did this when West Coast got a free kick. He was contently silent when one of our blokes got one

I don't understand why people go to the football to waste their energy on yelling at the umpires. This just in: it doesn't make them change their decisions.

We're putting a winning team on the park for the first time in a long time (even in 2009 we hovered just above or below 50-50 wins and losses) and yet all our fans wanted to do today was complain. When the final siren went, there was 3 times as much booing for the umps as there were cheers for the side.

We knock off a team that smashed us twice last year, just came off a thumping win and had us by the balls in the first half and we decide to boo the umps rather than give the players the ovation they deserve?

Shithouse

If you were at the game today yelling abuse and booing heaps, try cheering for our blokes instead next time you go along. And try counting all the marginal free kicks/decisions that go for us (basically every one Gus gets, today when Cox moved Bellchambers out of the way in a ruck contest that resulted in a shot for goal when West Coast had all the momentum, the 12 times Hille could have been rubbed out last year but got off etc.)

I'm fairly confident there's not an AFL-led conspiracy against Essendon

/Rant

/I swear I'm not Jeff Gieschen
It's not hard for us to go berserk when they were getting away with murder all day. If you think the umpiring was reasonable enough to NOT get angry about then you're kidding yourself.

It's not hard for us to go berserk when they were getting away with murder all day. If you think the umpiring was reasonable enough to NOT get angry about then you're kidding yourself.

Actually i never get angry with umpiring but that probably has more to do with the footy coaching i have done and being able to control that side of things.

I was extremely disappointed by the way our crowd pissed and moaned about the umpires all day.
:thumbsu:

I am of the firm opinion that most of the crowd have no idea what the rules are, or (and this is more problematic) what the current interpretations are.

Certainly the woman sitting in front of me, seemingly engaged in a personal conversation with the umpire whenever a decision was made against Essendon, hadn't a clue.

the point everybody misses with umpiring, is the actual decisions dont get up peoples noses until the inconsistency comes in. If they are consistent with anything, right or wrong, thats fine.
:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

:thumbsu:Certainly the woman sitting in front of me, seemingly engaged in a personal conversation with the umpire whenever a decision was made against Essendon, hadn't a clue.
The funniest thing I saw over the weekend: Sunday (morning) footy show, Damien Barrett on his usual "THIS IS A CONTROVERSY!!!" high-horse - one decision about Advantage, one re- goal umpiring. Dermott answers right back "correct decision if you actually look at the rules".

Funny stuff when people actually paid to make comment, cannot even do the background.
Let alone mug punters.

I am kind of embarrassed to say I've started yelling out in anger to the umpires.

I hate those supporters usually, but it's become an absolute farce.

Still, I cheered, complimented, clapped and wove my flag for the team.

Who says you can't do both.

I have always felt that abusing the umpires is part of supporting your team. It definitely puts pressure on them. Yesterday was an anomaly in that we'd normally expect to get a ride from the umpires at home against an interstate side.

You still have clap and cheer your team.

You also have to not boo and deride your players. That wont help their confidence.

But take yesterday, we are getting done for fairly red hot throws, when Nic Nat twice I believe was caught and threw it clear as day - one of them was the extremely obvious one handed handball - which I still think he missed with the punch, just let go is what irks everybody.

I said after the sydney game, it was like we were umpired with a different interpretation than sydney. Yea, if you analysed each individual decision sure you can make arguments, like Giesh does every week to protect them - but thats not the point.

Agree with this. The crowd has a sook when a free gets paid that wasn't previously paid, or vice versa. It's not always just about whether the actual decision is correct or not.

Other posters saying "People don't know the rules" is such a cop-out and/or they don't understand what people are sooking about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

Back