Roast umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

how far did the pitch invader get??
3-4 meters.
was at smack trip on Stevie J. Stevie J play on hit post, called back, he takes the 3 large steps.

Guy ran a few steps in, AAMI Staff got him, then Weslo got there and dragged him back off the field.

Stevie J kicks goal, pitch invader physically removed between bays 117 and 118.

What a bad thing to say.
He was one of the constants between Adelaide and Premierships.
And he has always been one of the most impatial umpires around.

He's been the best umpire of the last 20 years FFS.
Just because you know his name doesn't mean he's bad.

Great summation of Hayden Kennedy - still one of the best umpires going around after 23 years! Never made a big name of himself, majority of his decisions correct. Sad to see him retire - the game will be poorer without him.

Nothing at all - in fact Glen Jackovich thought the crowd was turning on the players!

You'll probably find that's because it wasn't actually as bad as you are all claiming. Watching it on TV allows for a much better realization of the decisions, as opposed to being at the game and seeing them from 100+ meters away!

Yes, there were a few dodgy calls, but that happens in EVERY game. The way your crowd whinged & cried about every free-kick, no matter how OBVIOUS, was actually painful to watch.

You'll probably find that's because it wasn't actually as bad as you are all claiming. Watching it on TV allows for a much better realization of the decisions, as opposed to being at the game and seeing them from 100+ meters away!

**** off. Every time there was a dodgy decision it was replayed on the big screen. The biggest reactions were AFTER people had seen it on TV and could see a close-up of why it was such a bad decision.

Yes, there were a few dodgy calls, but that happens in EVERY game. The way your crowd whinged & cried about every free-kick, no matter how OBVIOUS, was actually painful to watch.

Great. So we can lay to rest the fact that Leigh Colbert never took that mark then, can we? The fact that Geelong people STILL talk about that non-decision 14 years later is agonising to watch.

Bullshit, the umps deepthroated your boys all night long.

Swallowed the ****ing whistle for an entire half when it came to paying a free kick for the crows.

can anyone who was CLOSE to that first out of bounds on the full in the first quarter that got geelong going confirm whether it was in or out. You couldnt see it directly on the TV but just looking at the trajectory it looked like it would have gone out....

Great. So we can lay to rest the fact that Leigh Colbert never took that mark then, can we? The fact that Geelong people STILL talk about that non-decision 14 years later is agonising to watch.

Geelong were the best of the rest that year, had they beat us they would of probably won the flag. They were also victims of a bullshit finals system that saw them head over here when they shouldn't of.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong were the best of the rest that year, had they beat us they would of probably won the flag. They were also victims of a bullshit finals system that saw them head over here when they shouldn't of.

Thanks for the history lesson but you've completely missed the point about how Geelong handle bad umpiring.

Geelong are a masterful team at getting free kicks that aren't there. This is actually a credit to them - to their experience, their guile and their footy smarts.

I feel the crowd were so one-eyed last night they actually missed what was occurring. Geelong simply outsmarted us around the contests, and the umpires fell for it most of the time.

We need to get more savvy as a footy team or umpires will continue to blow us away week after week. Don't whinge. Adjust to the whistle. It comes down to coaching, and we had a coach who for seven years put no value in smarts like this.

Talk of biased umpires is ridiculous. We just have dumb players.

Oh yes, they should have. Adelaide won in the first round of 1997 finals, and Geelong lost.

Geelong's only legitimate beef with the finals system that year was in the first round, when they had to play North Melbourne on Friday night at North's home ground. That was where and when Geelong were wronged in 1997 finals.

Geelong are a masterful team at getting free kicks that aren't there. This is actually a credit to them - to their experience, their guile and their footy smarts.

I feel the crowd were so one-eyed last night they actually missed what was occurring. Geelong simply outsmarted us around the contests, and the umpires fell for it most of the time.

We need to get more savvy as a footy team or umpires will continue to blow us away week after week. Don't whinge. Adjust to the whistle. It comes down to coaching, and we had a coach who for seven years put no value in smarts like this.

Talk of biased umpires is ridiculous. We just have dumb players.

mhm... do we have to turn over the whole list before you stop Craig bashing?

Selwood got a free kick towards the end of the fourth quarter because Dangerfield blocked him from going the third man up. I know it's illegal to block the ruckman but is it illegal to prevent the third man up? Surely that would happen all the time though!

No, but it's going to take some time to de-Craigify the playing group. We will need to be patient.

For the record, do you disagree with any of my assessment about Geelong being an extremely smart football side?

In the context of them ensuring they get a good run from the umps, no I dont. They have a couple of players very good at "dropping" and staging, like Selwood, but overall there were plenty of errors they made that any umpire with a decent set of eyes would have seen.

In any case, even if you're observation was true, I think that would be the product of experience rather than coaching. I hardly think Bomber or Chris Scott would have a session on how to get a free kick each week.

As for "de-Craigifying" the group, I dont actually disagree with you. It's obvious that the absence of NC has revitalised the group. I would suggest, though, that it's pretty easy for Bicks to say "go out and take a chance, bust your arse and see what happens", but you and I both know thats about as much chance of winning a flag as any other shit we've dished up this year. The only difference between pre and post NC is intensity, and I reckon thats a reflection on the players, not either NC or Bicks.

Selwood got a free kick towards the end of the fourth quarter because Dangerfield blocked him from going the third man up. I know it's illegal to block the ruckman but is it illegal to prevent the third man up? Surely that would happen all the time though!

Agree with your point completely.
Selwood is not the legitimate ruckman so as long as you are within 5 metres of the ball why can't you block his space.
Every player around the ball who is blocked could say they were the third man up in that case.
Pulling one out of their ar*e on this occasion.

Agree with your point completely.
Selwood is not the legitimate ruckman so as long as you are within 5 metres of the ball why can't you block his space.
Every player around the ball who is blocked could say they were the third man up in that case.
Pulling one out of their ar*e on this occasion.

As soon as you take your eyes off the ball and look at the player, your cooked!

That was an easy one for them to pick out!

In the context of them ensuring they get a good run from the umps, no I dont. They have a couple of players very good at "dropping" and staging, like Selwood, .

I think being able to slip under a tackle, or accentuate contact, is a definite skill of the game. Now, whether you can or should coach that into a player, is another argument for another day. All I'm saying is that I dont believe these qualities were rated highly under Craig's tutelage. We were all about honest toiling and it was often at the expense of football savvy. I won't take the thread off track by mentioning Walker, but his treatment was a classic example of our policy.

In any case, even if you're observation was true, I think that would be the product of experience rather than coaching. .

That's the million dollar question. I think it's both.

As for "de-Craigifying" the group, I dont actually disagree with you. It's obvious that the absence of NC has revitalised the group. I would suggest, though, that it's pretty easy for Bicks to say "go out and take a chance, bust your arse and see what happens", but you and I both know thats about as much chance of winning a flag as any other shit we've dished up this year. The only difference between pre and post NC is intensity, and I reckon thats a reflection on the players, not either NC or Bicks.

I disagree that's the only difference. Anyway - good debate going on about that in the "Bicks does things Craig never could" thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

Back