Under 18's Div 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Fantastic win by our boys today. Struggled in the 1st half, but really hit their straps in the 3rd and 4th 1/4ers. Look out for Tye Browning down the track. Kid can play.

First game I watched of these two teams this year and was a great game for Under 18 level. Both teams effort was great but at the end of the day, I believe cool heads prevailed. Browning was great, as was Laffan and Stewart who I believe completely flipped the game on it's head when he was moved into the ruck, great coaching by Craigieburn. Impressed by Campbell and Heathcote for Westmeadows who both had the ability to win the game for the Tigers with some X-Factor qualities and if the Tigers had of been able to convert on goal could've put the game to bed early.

Last edited:
Stewart's move to the ruck was a master coaching stroke and a clear key to the win as were some of Hardstaff's intercept marks. It's why I thought they should both be playing seniors as they give great run too. #2 was very good also. Pattichis?

Looking forward to the Hillside game.

Can I ask if some of these kids are good enough to play seniors div1 in front of some current players will CB put them up or leave them in 18s. It's an interesting one I guess. From my little knowledge I believe if they are good enough the clubs no1 priority should be seniors to get the club up to premier. I think to beat EDS seniors you need to run and spread like most good footy sides.

Can I ask if some of these kids are good enough to play seniors div1 in front of some current players will CB put them up or leave them in 18s. It's an interesting one I guess. From my little knowledge I believe if they are good enough the clubs no1 priority should be seniors to get the club up to premier. I think to beat EDS seniors you need to run and spread like most good footy sides.

Laffan has played 14 games, Hardstaff 5, Stewart 8 and is a TAC Cup listed player, Micaleff just coming back from injury has played 9 games this year, all played last year too, so it's not about being good enough, more whether they fit the style the seniors want to play.

Whether any of the 18s get a go this weekend will be the big question, although with the reserves out now they might look there instead.

Laffan has played 14 games, Hardstaff 5, Stewart 8 and is a TAC Cup listed player, Micaleff just coming back from injury has played 9 games this year, all played last year too, so it's not about being good enough, more whether they fit the style the seniors want to play.

Whether any of the 18s get a go this weekend will be the big question, although with the reserves out now they might look there instead.

Hey Mel, I wasn't saying CB hasn't been playing kids this year as I know they have been which is great. Just wondering if they should play some of these kids in the senior finals as it gives you more leg speed, which is what sides need come finals.

Anyway good luck.

After watching the two games this weekend, I think there are plenty of names too keep an eye on next year whether that be in the seniors or still in 18s. I've noticed you all know the big names from clubs such as Douttas, Hillside and Craigiburn but I was very impressed by Browning from Craigieburn who I believe was playing up from the 18s? Very talented and didnt look out of place at all! Also was impressed by Westmeadows, how didnt seem to have any big names at all this year, but seeing the game on Sunday Campbell looked like their main player while Heathcote was exciting up forward. I'd say those 3 deserved to be looked at along with the big names you all, already know.

Very good competition this year, will be watching on next week aswell not just for the seniors but the 18s now.

Overall it's been pretty good. Not as even as last year, but still good.

What will be interesting is, the B & F. Reckon it could be a 2 or 3 way tie.

When will they be announced and how am I able too see the votes? Will the seniors ones be shown aswell?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Westmeadows lack of defence and discipline is the reason they won't get any compliments from me. When things don't go there way. They punch on. Disgusting.

Craigieburn are dangerous now with all there 18s playing along with browning and vendramini.

Hillside are a very good physical side but unfortunately I think they will lose this week.

Big ground dry track (predicting) Craigieburn spread well and there speed like eds will worry hillside and I think if they can stop Brandon coletta and Brodie psalia
Essendon Doutta Stars V Craigieburn is beckoning in a fortnights time.

Westmeadows lack of defence and discipline is the reason they won't get any compliments from me. When things don't go there way. They punch on. Disgusting.

Craigieburn are dangerous now with all there 18s playing along with browning and vendramini.

Hillside are a very good physical side but unfortunately I think they will lose this week.

Big ground dry track (predicting) Craigieburn spread well and there speed like eds will worry hillside and I think if they can stop Brandon coletta and Brodie psalia
Essendon Doutta Stars V Craigieburn is beckoning in a fortnights time.

As an interested and impartial observer of this competition I do find some of your comments very valid and some highly hypercritical.

Agree completely with your assessment of the CB Vs HS match up and I do think that CB will get through to take on EDS which will be a great game of 2 teams playing a similar style of football.

However it is laughable that you comment on the WM player who was sent off for pushing a CB player in the face when earlier in the season EDS were involved in a game that was called off with an EDS player being reported twice for striking in 2 different players in 2 different qtrs which in 1 case caused a WM player to require hospitalization.

Also noticed on the weekend when HS came hard in the last qtr the EDS bench players getting stuck into the their captain and him having quite a lot to say back for his lack of accountability on Psalia. Can't be good when players turn on their own under pressure. I would be working on that.

As you would have noticed I am not a big rap for WM myself. But keep your observations balanced

As an interested and impartial observer of this competition I do find some of your comments very valid and some highly hypercritical.

Agree completely with your assessment of the CB Vs HS match up and I do think that CB will get through to take on EDS which will be a great game of 2 teams playing a similar style of football.

However it is laughable that you comment on the WM player who was sent off for pushing a CB player in the face when earlier in the season EDS were involved in a game that was called off with an EDS player being reported twice for striking in 2 different players in 2 different qtrs which in 1 case caused a WM player to require hospitalization.

Also noticed on the weekend when HS came hard in the last qtr the EDS bench players getting stuck into the their captain and him having quite a lot to say back for his lack of accountability on Psalia. Can't be good when players turn on their own under pressure. I would be working on that.

As you would have noticed I am not a big rap for WM myself. But keep your observations balanced

Eds were involved with that called off match but if you saw the match Westmeadows did nothing but punch us up had 3 guys sent to the tribunal where eds had 1. The score that day was 9 goals to 1 eds way. So similar to the weekend Craigieburn kicked 6 in a row and then westy had another player sent off.
Westmeadows had 7 different players sent to the tribunal compared to eds 1

Regarding the situation with eds #17 he didn't want to listen to what the coach said and eds were down to none on the bench so the boys screamed at him to do what the coach said. I certainly don't think there is anything in that mate.

Eds were involved with that called off match but if you saw the match Westmeadows did nothing but punch us up had 3 guys sent to the tribunal where eds had 1. The score that day was 9 goals to 1 eds way. So similar to the weekend Craigieburn kicked 6 in a row and then westy had another player sent off.
Westmeadows had 7 different players sent to the tribunal compared to eds 1

Regarding the situation with eds #17 he didn't want to listen to what the coach said and eds were down to none on the bench so the boys screamed at him to do what the coach said. I certainly don't think there is anything in that mate.
In my role I don't get to all the games but I do research most clubs quite a lot.

I wasn't at the abandoned game however I do know that a Westmeadows player received 6-7 stitches from a punch landed by an EDS player who was the first player to be sent off in the game. Same player also received more weeks at the completion of the investigation for striking WM another player.

As for the number of players from each club sent to the tribunal. You might want to check your numbers before anyone from WM does so as they aren't the numbers I have.

No club in u18 Div 1 has had 7 players front the tribunal.

Looking forward to some great games coming up over the next couple of weeks. Good luck to all teams.

Ta
In my role I don't get to all the games but I do research most clubs quite a lot.

I wasn't at the abandoned game however I do know that a Westmeadows player received 6-7 stitches from a punch landed by an EDS player who was the first player to be sent off in the game. Same player also received more weeks at the completion of the investigation for striking WM another player.

As for the number of players from each club sent to the tribunal. You might want to check your numbers before anyone from WM does so as they aren't the numbers I have.

No club in u18 Div 1 has had 7 players front the tribunal.

Looking forward to some great games coming up over the next couple of weeks. Good luck to all teams.
i take the number back its 5

Hey Mel, I would be interested in what you think of my recent post in the div1 thread based on kids coming out of 18s.

Agree in part. Sometimes it's hard for a kid to leave his mates though and some of them are just simply happy to stay where they are, which is cool. Mine wants to play senior footy and is more than happy to play anywhere to make it happen.

Last edited:
Really looking forward to this game on Sunday. Going to be some great talent on show.

So much will depend on how the Eagles can control the big men of Hillside. EDS did it well last week and there is no reason why the Eagles can't do it too. I do like Craigieburn's pace but feel the weather may be a factor in this.

It could be really close or Hillside by a fair bit. Good luck to both sides.

Is it fair that an under 18 player misses out so that craigieburn can play browning? I know the kid can seriously play but is it fair he plays instead of an under 18 kid. I know from a fact that there are kids missing out

Games between these two sides this year have been pretty good. The one at Tulla was a real thriller with the Eagles making a major comeback after being completely out of it. The last meeting was a ripper too and if Craigieburn let Hillside out to a start like they did then, well it's game over. I do agree on the pace thing and the weather looks like it might be ok.

I think the keys for both sides are Coletta, Bertollo, Rayner and Psaila for Hillside and Zwagerman, Kesici and Hardstaff for the Eagles who will probably get Coletta and Bertollo.

There really is nothing between these sides and it may come down to the bounce of the ball. Losing Laffan to seniors have been countered by the return of the gut running Perone and Langborne's return is huge. I just can't pick it and maybe we'll go to extra time. I hope the Eagles in a close one. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Under 18's Div 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back