Unpopular Cricket Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

20/20 should be scrapped from the broad exposure it gets. There's very little strategy and changes of fortune during a game.

I prefer 50 over cricket, where a team can fall behind, and fight back into the contest. Where there are ebbs and flow's in the game, and each side generally has a chance to win for longer. There's also much more scope for genuine cricket skills rather than just slogging.

20/20 should be scrapped from the broad exposure it gets. There's very little strategy and changes of fortune during a game.

I prefer 50 over cricket, where a team can fall behind, and fight back into the contest. Where there are ebbs and flow's in the game, and each side generally has a chance to win for longer. There's also much more scope for genuine cricket skills rather than just slogging.
One day cricket bought a raised level of skills to cricket, the quality of the fielding in the late 80's went through the roof as ODI's proliferated, they also began to bring a level of aggression to batting not seen before. T20 has again raised the level of aggression, and it's too simplistic to call what Warner does as just slogging, but it has also made players more versatile, Clarke's successful use of a variety of part-time bowlers has it's roots in T20 I would bet. Cricket has evolved over history, and I think we dismiss T20 as more slogging at our own peril, it does require a completely different set of skills to Test cricket, but I think it also helps bring about new dimensions in Test cricket.

1. A weight limit should be placed on bats, exemptions may be granted for limited overs (50 or 20 or any other number) matches at international and first class equivalent (eg ListA for the long short game; BBL, IPL, BPL, SLPL, etc for the short short game).

2. For Test cricket, pick the best six batsmen, best four bowlers and best wicketkeeper. Do not pick an all-rounder unless they happen to fall into one (or more, like Kallis) of those categories. Bit part players are not good enough for the long game. "Best" here means as a group, not necessarily best indviduals - for example if the best six are all middle order batsmen, you still need openers.

3. Bring back the runner (I don't think that is the unpopular part), with the fielding team rather than the batting team able to nominate who the runner is. That should mean it is limited to genuine injury only.

4. Ian Healy is a less annoying commentator than Michael Slater. (Popular part: they are both incredibly annoying.)

5. Murali was not a chucker (though Hair was right to call him under the Laws as they were, as from certain angles there was doubt about his action's legitimacy).

6. If not for the security situation, Afghanistan would probably be ahead of Ireland in terms of the race for Test status.

One day cricket bought a raised level of skills to cricket, the quality of the fielding in the late 80's went through the roof as ODI's proliferated, they also began to bring a level of aggression to batting not seen before. T20 has again raised the level of aggression, and it's too simplistic to call what Warner does as just slogging, but it has also made players more versatile, Clarke's successful use of a variety of part-time bowlers has it's roots in T20 I would bet. Cricket has evolved over history, and I think we dismiss T20 as more slogging at our own peril, it does require a completely different set of skills to Test cricket, but I think it also helps bring about new dimensions in Test cricket.
I still hate 20/20...

and still believe its exposure should be limited

I still hate 20/20...

and still believe its exposure should be limited
Remember back in the 80's when ODI's were going to kill Test cricket? Read the editorial section to any Wisden in the last 50 years and something is always going to kill of Test cricket.
I couldn't care less about 20/20, I don't hate it though.

Remember back in the 80's when ODI's were going to kill Test cricket? Read the editorial section to any Wisden in the last 50 years and something is always going to kill of Test cricket.

Maybe my opinion is unpopular (as the thread suggests)

I just think that out of the 3 formats that if you were to take away 1 that I'd prefer to see 20/20 go rather than ODI's. I really think our players are losing their core skills.

You talk about the 80's... I want see batsmen like Geoff Marsh and David Boon, absorbing most of their first 40-50 balls before getting going. Much prefer to see us 0/20 after 15 overs than 3/40

Yeah, same. But it's cricket, and the Mrs likes the BBL so that's 3 hours of some vampire bullshit I don't have to watch!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Australian cricket is headed for a period where it will struggle to produce quality batsman of years gone past. The fundamental building blocks and successful systems have been replaced by an emphasis on short form big hitting games rather than the development of proper technique. It will take a generation to fix.

I'm fine with T20 at domestic level but it shouldn't be played internationally outside of the World T20 events. Bring back the state sides, with CA throwing in some money to lure international players. 4 weeks max.

Jesse Ryder will become a player of Gayle's calibre and reputation in a few years' time.

1. Bob Simpson was not nearly as responsible for Australia's resurgence as he and others claim.
2. Steve Waugh was not a great player. Great discipline and determination yes, but not on ability. Great players are able to play the hook shot.
3. Wicketkeepers shouldn't have to be top flight batsmen just because there have been some like that in the last few years. I would always - always - select the best keeper. If you're relying on your number 7 to score runs the top 6 aren't doing their job.
4. No test cricketer walks from the game voluntarily. They're all in it for the money.
5. 20/20 is even more rubbish than limited overs cricket. And that's saying something.
6. Ropes should be removed at all grounds in Australia or at least moved back. The variety of grounds in Australia was one of the great things about cricket here. It's slowly being removed.
7. Bouncers should be unlimited. The guy at the far end of the pitch has a bat in his hand.
8. This isn't unpopular, there is far, far too much cricket being played now.

Thanks, Ian Chappell.

this is either popular or un popular. but 2 sides in melbourne and sydney for the big bash will not work

Disagree to an extent. Having two teams means there's at least one game in town each weekend and the sport probably needs that to compete with the A-League (the other big summer domestic tournament).

That said, I would have liked it more if the Renegades were down at Geelong rather than the dome. With the lights having been installed down at Kardinia you could probably get a very good crowd there every fortnight for T20. Do a deal with the Cats to have some sort of benefits for members and you'd be sitting pretty.

I think Brad Haddin was unfairly maligned during his time as Australian wicket keeper.

I think he was unfairly maligned in that he wasnt maligned enougho_O
Just because he is following some great keepers doesnt mean he shouldnt be judged against them.

We need great keepers not only because they receive the most chances in the field but because they dedicate the "gloveman aspect" of the game to perform with the gloves; not some charlatan who gets plaudits because he can bat a bit....that should come later.

Remove this Banner Ad

Unpopular Cricket Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back